Photography Course/Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, u've break down to such details..:thumbsup:
I like the way classes are conducted by SLCC, feels very warmly and friendly..its like a big group of frens discussing a common interest..its not like those normal classroom which gives u a very tense feeling or make u feel sleepy during lessons..

Not sure about PSS..any PSS students care to share ur experience..

job hazard.. :p

I get the same feeling from talking to Joanna and Stanley from SLCC. :D

That is the main reason, why I am geared toward them. :p

haha that's what i've trying NOT to do......just in case I regret later :eek:

what is there to regret? buy second hand in CS to try first. Then sell it off at the same price if you not interested in Photography.

Make frens with the ppl in Clubsnap..join outings, ask for opinions and if possible ask them to let u try out their DSLR/SLR..read up reviews on the internet..u dun need to go through a course to find out right..in the end, u r the one paying for the camera equipments..

Yeah..u can definitely try out stuffs like aperture, shutter speds, ISO, WB, metering modes using a prosumer..but then the results may not be significant..Borrow a book from the library to understand the fundamentals of operation for a camera..or u can even google for some articles over the internet..they are free..once u have doubts/queries, post ur questions in Clubsnap..

:think: increase the price gap? I think u mean narrow the price gap..yeah, D200 price will likely drop next year..heard that a new model is coming out next year..D80 is a good camera as an entry-level DSLR for anyone into photography..

==================================================

Note: These are only my personal views, if u think u prefer going through the course first, u can always go ahead with it..:) as wat's most important is how u feel..;) Welcome to photography!

yeah increase price gap by lowering D80 price:D D200 price has already went down recently but D80 is holding up...

Yeah, been reading articles on basic photography & I quite understand the theory part for Aperture, Shutter, ISO, WB etc...

Hmmm... seriously thinking of getting the D80 now...

Xeonic, I'm sure we can get the D80 body for 1.5K. No need to settle for anything lesser. Just need to look around. What lens do u intend to get? I'm still deciding between the kit lens or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

SLCC will provided film SLRs for Basic Photography Course
Weeliang is a good instructor.

BTW I taken courses from SLCC and PSS,
Both hv + and - points :)

wow what great responses from all cs-ers!

wind30 : well price wise it's still quite a jump from a p&s to a dslr even a 2nd hand one

mynameisjizeng : actually i was looking at the Basic Digital Photography course, as i think it'll give a better insight.

yeah increase price gap by lowering D80 price:D D200 price has already went down recently but D80 is holding up...

Yeah, been reading articles on basic photography & I quite understand the theory part for Aperture, Shutter, ISO, WB etc...

Hmmm... seriously thinking of getting the D80 now...

Xeonic, I'm sure we can get the D80 body for 1.5K. No need to settle for anything lesser. Just need to look around. What lens do u intend to get? I'm still deciding between the kit lens or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

:think: What u need now is to get the camera and start shooting..:bsmilie:
D80 launch not long lehz..unless u can really wait..:bsmilie:
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ... good choice.:thumbsup:

Not sure whether this story is relevant to this thread:

Back in secondary school, I developed this interest in photography and decided to join the photographic society in school. Problem is I don't have a camera. So I went through a full year of Saturdays in classroom being taught about speed, aperture etc without even touching a camera. Without being able to touch and feel the thing, it was difficult to understand the things being taught. And frankly, the feeling of seeing your friends holding and using their impressive SLRs while you just hold your pen and notebook sucks. I duly left the society at the end of that year.

So my suggestion to you is to buy, borrow or steal an SLR to attend the course. This would allow you to be able to see, touch and try the features and technics being taught by the trainer. That's said, I also agree with the friends here that you don't really need to attend a class to know the basics.

So my suggestion to you is to buy, borrow or steal an SLR to attend the course. This would allow you to be able to see, touch and try the features and technics being taught by the trainer. That's said, I also agree with the friends here that you don't really need to attend a class to know the basics.

Hey SpyD-Man : Great story! I understand where you're coming from totally....maybe to take an alternative route, maybe you guys can point us newbies to some quality sites for self learning purposes first.

Cheers!

Hey SpyD-Man : Great story! I understand where you're coming from totally....maybe to take an alternative route, maybe you guys can point us newbies to some quality sites for self learning purposes first.

Cheers!

You can start by going to the library and borrow some books on photography.

Shortie, thanks for the compliments! This happened some 20 years ago and I'm surprised it still left such a vivid impression in the deep corners of my mind even now. Perhaps that's what they call emotional baggage. Must learn to let go and move on.

Anyway, I'm also considered a newbie as I haven't move beyond AF on an SLR and is trying to get a DSLR after spending 2 years with a point-and-shoot.

Hi,

Im a newbie too. Just bought D70s but know nuts about SLR/DSLR!

I am contemplating on a basic course between SLCC and Objectiffs. So far no comments from Objectiffs students. Anyway able to share from Objectiffs?

germ

Hi,

I am contemplating on a basic course between SLCC and Objectiffs. So far no comments from Objectiffs students. Anyway able to share from Objectiffs?

germ

Hi there,

There is a D70/D70s workshop conducted by PSS on this 21 Jan 2007 from 2pm to 5pm, the cost is $20. For your information and necessary action. Thank you.

Ya, Who or where is Objectiffs??? Also anyone who have knowledge of SAFRA Photographic Club course?? Please share ;p

Hi,

germ

newbie here too. thinking of taking up a course. own a nikon D80 DSLR by just point & shoot.

reason of using a DSLR then other normal dc is because of it speed. & love taking photos of my dogs.

please advice me which sch to start my basic from (slcc, Objectifs or pss ) ???

thanks in advance guys.

regards,

Terence

Not sure whether this story is relevant to this thread:

Back in secondary school, I developed this interest in photography and decided to join the photographic society in school. Problem is I don't have a camera. So I went through a full year of Saturdays in classroom being taught about speed, aperture etc without even touching a camera. Without being able to touch and feel the thing, it was difficult to understand the things being taught. And frankly, the feeling of seeing your friends holding and using their impressive SLRs while you just hold your pen and notebook sucks. I duly left the society at the end of that year.

Agreed, you need to really "play" with the camera to appreciate what you have learnt and put them into practice. Can't be acquiring the skills just from books, papers, notes, etc without the actual practice.

newbie here too. thinking of taking up a course. own a nikon D80 DSLR by just point & shoot.

reason of using a DSLR then other normal dc is because of it speed. & love taking photos of my dogs.

please advice me which sch to start my basic from (slcc, Objectifs or pss ) ???

thanks in advance guys.

regards,

Terence

If you want a one day course, you can try taking up the D80 workshop conducted by PSS this coming 28 Jan 2007, 2pm to 5pm, for $20.

Alternatively, if you want, you can try taking up the Digital Basic Photography course from PSS which is 12 sessions.

If you want a one day course, you can try taking up the D80 workshop conducted by PSS this coming 28 Jan 2007, 2pm to 5pm, for $20.

Alternatively, if you want, you can try taking up the Digital Basic Photography course from PSS which is 12 sessions.

thanks bro but which school to choose from ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.