Photography Books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nshinx

Aug 9, 2004
Hi, is there any photography books thats recommanded for reading :)
I think we should compile a list!
Those who know of good books please post, Title, Author, Where it could be found.
Thanks!

riceball has extensive collection of such books and magazines.

I like Magnum Stories. This is quite a hefty book and I've seen it available locally at Borders and Riceball iirc. I got mine via Amazon.

It contains a wealth of valubale insights by notable Magnum photographers. Each photo is individually critiqued by its photographer. It's a great look behind the scenes and understanding what goes into a shot.

There's a lot of good books available at even the smaller libraries, and they've made for interesting and informative reading...not to mention that they help me kill time while I am stuck in camp. Though there's lots to choose from, these are some that come to memory:

Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography by Bryan Peterson

Photos With Impact by Tom Mackie

The AVA Guide To Travel Photography by Keith Wilson

They are some of the earliest ones I read and they are excellent for learning how to create and compose a photo.

k3nshinx said:
Hi, is there any photography books thats recommanded for reading :)
I think we should compile a list!
Those who know of good books please post, Title, Author, Where it could be found.
Thanks!

M. Frizot, The New History of Photography. The Big Book Shop at Clementi Central had some stock, at ridiculously cheap prices.

I find this book extremely valuable as it is not a "how to" or "good composition" book that preaches a specific technology, procedure, or style, but shows the relation between evolving photographic technology and photography styles. By covering roughly 150 years of photography, it shows how changing fashions define what a "good" photograph is, as well as the struggle to be recognized as "art". By showing how photographic styles and technology have been continually evolving, it also gives one a more laid-back perspective on the battle between "it has always been this way" (which is not true!) traditionalists and "this is a revolution" modernists. Plus, it has lots of very interesting photos to ponder about.

rTwin said:
u can find quite a number of books on photography from the national library.. i always go there to borrow stuff :)

The reference section on photography, especially at the Library @ Central, contains a wealth of great books. Unfortunately you can't loan them out but it's got a great atmosphere there to spend many hours going through all the books available.

Status
Not open for further replies.