Photography at the Esplanade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
was kindly advised by the security there the other day, that ALL photographers need permission to shoot on the premises, both in and outside. that includes tourists with point-n-shoots.

any comments? :dunno: i thought it was a centre to promote the arts.

yes, art promotion, but security concerns override.

last time cannot breast-feed, now cannot take photo... i'd like to see the guards patrolling outside to stop tourists...

later on, the marketing and communications representative came along and did mention something about 'copyright to the building image'. exactly what that means, i have no idea.. but something to the effect, if you are going to use a picture of the Esplanade for commercial usage, you got to pay :dunno:

honestly not starting or kicking up a fuss here, just want to know where photographers stand on this issue. for example, if we were to take a picture of the Esplanade or Merlion, and sell it to a postcard company...how?

2 more miscellaneous question, is the Esplanade being managed by a private company? and how exactly will photography be a threat to the safety of the building and visitors?

please do not see this as an opportunity to flame the g'arment or anything. honestly seeking answers here.

not attempting to answer your misc questions on behalf of esplanade or the govt. my feel is that still photography or video photography is something security or those in charge of security considered high on their radar screen. i can assume reasonably that for any impending 'attack' on any infrastructure, there will be inital and progressive recon on the subject using cameras and/or video. do you remember JI's video footages of places near yishun mrt station? hope it is clearer.

yes, i don't think anyone can easily forget about those disturbing video footages anytime soon. creepy~

i'm not undermining the jobs the security are doing, and i'm certainly grateful for that. but seems to me though, more like an exercise in doing something 'for show of force' rather than any concrete threat prevention :dunno: video and photos can be taken stealthily, from afar, or 'agents' can be put in place for real-time surveillance and recon.

funny thing i noticed, if you are shooting handheld, they are less likely to approach you, than say, on tripods or with extra equip. i don't see the security actively stopping tourists from taking photographs that day. but have personally heard stories of people getting stopped when they were shooting on tripods, presumably for more 'professional' photos.

those using tripods may be more prof, thus stopped. so they can be advised that the esplanade design is 'copyrighted' and payable, if intend to use them commercially.

We can still get very decent shots without the tripod IMHO. :)

I personally feel they're overdoing it. Yes, agree that security is a concern, if someone is taking pictures where it's not suppose to be, like the security room, film room or something. But outside the premise, I think they're too much.

I was in Sydney Opera House with my big guns and a tripod with cable release some more in the beginning of the year. No one stopped me. Everyone was watching me and some one from the Opera House even come to me to see my pics and praise me for the nice pics I've taken.

I think the Australians are more concerned about the security than we do.

26446946.jpg

your last paragraph is puzzling.

One thing that been around in my head, what about those phones with camera?
Then if to follow strictly, ppl shdnt be allowed to take pictures using their phones, if the reason for not taking photographs is security sake.
But all I've seen, ppl have been allowed to use those cameras anywhere as they like to.
This, I feel like discrimination against SLR type cameras, which IMO is silly to use if I'm abt to do recon work stealthily.

security is a farce. the misguided security guards in singapore are no match for truly determined people out to wreck havok on our country.

i can't believe that they are more concerned about stopping photographers outside the building than doing bag checks on people who enter the premises.

at the end of the day. if you stand at the merlion jetty and use a 600mm super big mama lens to shoot the esplanade (with a tripod), I wonder if the guard will run all the way down esplanade drive just to stop you.

whatever it is, just keep shooting until you are stopped. don't let fear of being stopped kill your desire to take pictures of a national icon. everyone agrees that its one of the most photographed locations in the country.

On hindsight. I wonder if the management will stop wedding photographers who do couple portraiture shoots there. It'll be interesting. This topic should be discussed in broader detail.

maybe cam in handphones can be used for recon purposes. it can be camo-ed to be used for making a call while actually taking shots without being suspicious or doing upskirt shots. the latter is surely to miss the attention of the security official. hehe.

slacker123 said:
security is a farce. the misguided security guards in singapore are no match for truly determined people out to wreck havok on our country.

i can't believe that they are more concerned about stopping photographers outside the building than doing bag checks on people who enter the premises.

at the end of the day. if you stand at the merlion jetty and use a 600mm super big mama lens to shoot the esplanade (with a tripod), I wonder if the guard will run all the way down esplanade drive just to stop you.

whatever it is, just keep shooting until you are stopped. don't let fear of being stopped kill your desire to take pictures of a national icon. everyone agrees that its one of the most photographed locations in the country.

On hindsight. I wonder if the management will stop wedding photographers who do couple portraiture shoots there. It'll be interesting. This topic should be discussed in broader detail.

well, i did some time ago. no one stopped me or the couple. phew!

Err... what copyright? The government is using taxpayer money to build the Esplanade. I'm not trying to flame, but this is Ridicules.

As what Stereobox have mentioned "video and photos can be taken stealthily", as such will you see any dummy "spy" openly film/shoot the building?

Sometime, I feel that they are putting up too much shows, its a waste of everyone time and resouces. If they want to do it, do it professionally.
:thumbsd:

exactly what is 'copyright of the building image'? :dunno: that means i can't sell my pictures as postcards or stock photo? does 1 have to be comissioned officially?

'm just saddened by the ironies that this very issue has brought up. the Esplanade is supposed be an icon that, yes, Singapore is finally opening up, isn't it?

reachme2003 said:
well, i did some time ago. no one stopped me or the couple. phew!

yes, i did the same too, a week or two ago before the incident happened. nobody stopped me that time. i did ask the security..."what about wedding couples? how come i wasn't stopped the other time?" his reply was "maybe we didn't see you" :dunno:

in general...shoot without tripods, n perhaps get away with it?

The supposed 'ban' on photgraphing the Esplanade is so ridiculous I thought maybe the guard misunderstood instructions and conveyed wrong info to visitors?

The Esplanade is a public building, like the City Hall, National Musuem, Musoleum... perhaps what was intended is the prohibition to take photos during performances? I think a letter to the ST Forum Page should clarify matters.

humm... think taking picture outside the premises should be ok right?
cos esplanade suppose to be a tourist attraction point in singapore, sure will draw a lot of tourist attention one ma..

Status
Not open for further replies.