Photography at Kota Kinabalu [ How to prevent condensation ]

jrewing

Sep 24, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

I will be going to Kota Kinabalu in March, and intent to bring along my DSLR for photo taking. As i got only about half a hour at the summit only, how to climatise it to prevent condensation. Please advise.

Thanks.

jrewing.

Last edited:
Don't worry. There will be no condensation if it does not rain. You have other things to preoccupy yourself with.

Last edited:
Hi,

I will be going to Kota Kinabalu in March, and intent to bring along my DSLR for photo taking. As i got only about half a hour at the summit only, how to climatise it to prevent condensation. Please advise.

Thanks.

jrewing.

Just make sure it's exposed to the outside temperature long enough to adjust. Though since the summit is the coldest point and not a warm point, you should have no condensation.

In other words, just use your camera the way it's meant to be used. Don't mollycuddle it and think it's tofu. It will then work when you need it to.

I didn't have any problems when I brought my dSLR up there. I wouldn't think you need to perform any special precautions.

thanks for all the replies. Any further tips will helps as going up to KK is a difficult task for me and would like to capture as much beautiful photos as possible.
Once again thanks in advance.

thanks for all the replies. Any further tips will helps as going up to KK is a difficult task for me and would like to capture as much beautiful photos as possible.
Once again thanks in advance.

Worry about yourself more than your camera.

Dear TS, Kota Kinabalu (KK) is the name of the city. The mountain is called Gunung Kinabalu.

Get a good pair of shoes, rain wear and warm clothes. Just enjoy yourself.

When I was there I didn't know about condensation, neither did my camera. I guess that was the reason why nothing happened :) Ok, there was some condensation around 2,000m at the layer called 'Cloud Forest' with 100% humidity. There's nothing you can do about it. Have a clean cloth at hand and try to wipe the lens carefully. Might help for some minutes. Otherwise just enjoy and stop being too eager to snap everything you see.
Worry more about yourself, you will be exhausted, need to adjust to altitude (might experience mild symptoms of altitude sickness), need keep yourself warm at the higher areas. Do read the common recommendations about going up the mountain, what to bring and what to leave at home. For your gear: take as little as possible, you have little time to deploy a tripod and mess around with 5 lenses and 10 filters (if you didn't collapse under the weight already). Think ahead: it's a sunrise situation. Anticipate what you might need for this. If you don't know, then read here in the forum and practise in Singapore before you go there. And don't underestimate the long way down ...

Take the time between now and then to train. Run up and down Bt Timah Hill

Run 20km at least, per week, on flat ground.

Eat sensibly.

Get not just warm clothes but also if possible a totally waterproof Goretex over-layer.

I did none of the above for my 2005 trip - paid a heavy price. Even my warm furry coat was not enough against the bitter cold.

Do you need or have any company to guide you along the trail?

Sorry to highjack this thread....

I am going in coming May, some queries

1) Have anyone used a chest harness to carry your camera. Do you have any feedback about it *Lowepro Chest Harness + 75AW Toploader. I don't foreseen any problem on the first 6km, but more worry concern on the night climb and decent.

2) Is there enough space for tripod setup? (going up with SIURI compact tripod)