photography at changi aiport

Status
Not open for further replies.

xposeld

May 15, 2005
anyone knows whether photography is allowed at the viewing galleries or changi airport? thanks in advance :D

this is a problem i faced when me and a couple of photogs wanted to shoot a model at changi airport, for the total defence competition.

as always, the lines between allowed-notallowed are pretty blurred. essentially, you need to get a permit even if u want to shoot at the public areas, like your viewing gallery. after applying, they will reject your application as long as it is not aviation operations related.

quite pointless trying to reason with them that every other local and tourist goes there with a camera as well, and are shooting at the same areas you want to. my suggestion, like wat we did, just go and shoot and don't get caught.

hope it helps. :)

I guess if it's shooting for leisure, the airport security "shld be" fine with it... I mean everyday there're so many tourists with cams hanging on their necks shooting themselves for keepsake, as well as families & frens taking farewell pix together in the airport, dun think the security will stop them rite???

Personally I did try shooting at the Airport Viewing Gallery & Departure Hall before (with SLR & digital Point-n-Shoot)... Wasn't stopped by anyone though... (but then again, I din hang ard for long for them to discover my presence I guess) ;p

there are differences between touristy snaps and organised shoot of a model at the airport.

xposeld said:
anyone knows whether photography is allowed at the viewing galleries or changi airport? thanks in advance :D

This is a common sight at the Changi Airport Terminal 1 viewing gallery where Swensen Restaurant is located.

AviationPhotographer_01a.jpg

reachme2003 said:
there are differences between touristy snaps and organised shoot of a model at the airport.
Just put on a fisherman's hat(look Japanese)! :bsmilie:

shoot @ the airport? Count me in!I'll come as a punk with an eletric guitar :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:

haha yes, it reached a point i was arguing with them over shooting at the airport, WITHOUT a model, or for a comeptition. and they stubbornly said no shooting allowed.

perhaps i was just unlucky, or perhaps they had some redtape of their own they had to adhere to. :)

thanks for the advice and information :thumbsup:

I believe this is one of the situations where "it is easier to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission".

Hmm... sounds like buying that new camera first, then tell the wife :sweat:

I shot in the transit mall before... Didn't see any guards stopping me. Then again, I looked rather tourist-y.

tote along a tripod, whip out a dslr wif a 70-200 2.8 and top end flash setup...sure kena :bsmilie: :devil:

uncleparty said:
haha yes, it reached a point i was arguing with them over shooting at the airport, WITHOUT a model, or for a comeptition. and they stubbornly said no shooting allowed.

perhaps i was just unlucky, or perhaps they had some redtape of their own they had to adhere to. :)
When in doubt, never argue.

Remember, YOU are in other ppl's area of jurisdiction. You have to play by THEIR RULES. The airport's ain't ur own room where u set ur own rules. Airport Security has the right to detain and evict anyone at a moment's notice whom they believe is a security risk (this, of cos, is up to them to decide who).

jsbn said:

Remember, YOU are in other ppl's area of jurisdiction. You have to play by THEIR RULES. The airport's ain't ur own room where u set ur own rules. Airport Security has the right to detain and evict anyone at a moment's notice whom they believe is a security risk (this, of cos, is up to them to decide who).

it is hardly a security risk with a small group photographers shooting a model there, right?

there are other considerations.

I was once asked by a MRT "security transit" guard not to take photos on top of a station along the EW line. He asked me to hand over my CF card so that he can deleted it off.

eric69 said:
I was once asked by a MRT "security transit" guard not to take photos on top of a station along the EW line. He asked me to hand over my CF card so that he can deleted it off.

wah! so serious... I also kenna but was being nicely told that photography is not allowed... I juz apologise and move away loh.

CYRN said:
wah! so serious... I also kenna but was being nicely told that photography is not allowed... I juz apologise and move away loh.
depends on the guy too....i had an experience too but the guy just told me no photography and thats all

eric69 said:

No problem, can use the Lexar tool to recover the deleted images :lovegrin:

Always bring a jungle hat and wear beach shirts if you want to shoot at Airports and stuff.

jsbn said:

this was over the phone, to obtain a permit - i knew all hope was already lost.

there wasnt any one who approached me at the airport itself, during the shoot, even though i wasnt granted the written permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.