Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

CTH1983

Mar 14, 2011
How much would ypu spend on your gear as a hobby?

spending on equipment and gear cost lesser than my expenses during photography trips... that's just me. :)

my friend is into hifi stuffs his gears now amount to more than $100k, he even said his gears are not even considered as high end:eek:

i just wonder how much will he spend if he is into photography :eek:

Always have a amount in mind to spend on getting the gears i want, but once u step into the shop and see...Wow...so many good stuff...!!! BBB...in the end it always overshot the amount u say u can spend...hehe...!!!

Get married; have kids; buy a house; buy a car. Best way to stop spending on photography is when you have hardly anything left over to spend hehe.

A healthy amount that should not compromise the other essential things in your life / family .:bsmilie:

about 15k, but sold about 10k away. so total about 5k. damn... i need more overtime to get back my stuff....

Get married; have kids; buy a house; buy a car. Best way to stop spending on photography is when you have hardly anything left over to spend hehe.

This is my situation now...... still can't find that extra budget to even upgrade my almost 9 year old DSLR body..... Family, house and car comes 1st.....LOL!!

Can i say "How much will I save in my cabinet" ?
Sometimes, it is even better than "investing" in Equity or puttting it in Zero Interest Bank.

Can i say "How much will I save in my cabinet" ?
Sometimes, it is even better than "investing" in Equity or puttting it in Zero Interest Bank.

But the cameras and most lens depreciate very fast, negative interest.

Total amount less than my current annual income tax (amount paid to the government) ....

Last edited:
But the cameras and most lens depreciate very fast, negative interest.
Yes, I agreed for Camera body. Probably depreciate 50% every 3 years+.
For lens (especially the popular L lens), depreciation is little as long as u use it !

Yes, I agreed for Camera body. Probably depreciate 50% every 3 years+.
For lens (especially the popular L lens), depreciation is little as long as u use it !

"What? your lens code is USXXXX? Ok I offer you 30% lower"
"no more warranty? Ok I offer you xxx"
"discontinued lens? My offer xxx"

You don't receive these SMS when you sell your stuff? :bsmilie:

My oldest lens is UY ....

"What? your lens code is USXXXX? Ok I offer you 30% lower"
"no more warranty? Ok I offer you xxx"
"discontinued lens? My offer xxx"

You don't receive these SMS when you sell your stuff? :bsmilie:

lol I hate these lowballers.

Definitely agree with your statement that hifi indulgence can be alot more expensive than photography. A pair of high-end speaker cables can buy a Canon 1DX with L lens :) I've got a friend whose home hifi cost almost half a million but he is using a 5dMk2 only. As for me, I try not to spend too much on photography as I am just a hobbyist with a 5dMK3 and a few lens - total cost around 20k. I do spend quite a bit more on hifi though, more than 5 times as much as compared to photograhy eqpt :)

my friend is into hifi stuffs his gears now amount to more than $100k, he even said his gears are not even considered as high end:eek:

i just wonder how much will he spend if he is into photography :eek: