Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

giantcanopy said:
A healthy amount that should not compromise the other essential things in your life / family .:bsmilie:

Strongly agreed, I should not hold back for Mark III

mezzoutopia said:
Definitely agree with your statement that hifi indulgence can be alot more expensive than photography. A pair of high-end speaker cables can buy a Canon 1DX with L lens :) I've got a friend whose home hifi cost almost half a million but he is using a 5dMk2 only. As for me, I try not to spend too much on photography as I am just a hobbyist with a 5dMK3 and a few lens - total cost around 20k. I do spend quite a bit more on hifi though, more than 5 times as much as compared to photograhy eqpt :)

Do you still save your money ?

less than 1k. lol. I enjoy pushing my budget and equipment to limits. can only buy another lens after selling one. all buy 2nd hand. already pre depreciated.

of course must make some compromise on newness, so far I check carefully and do homework, I'm still quite satisfied. no L series of course. prefer old lens anyway, got rare lens feeling. choose well can get good stuff.

i have spent more than $10k, but much less than my friend's car hobby, the price of his 1 tyre is more than my lens

Finally someone started this thread. So 10k ish pretty much the norm

I spent way too much than I thought I would ever spend since the day I picked up photography. This year has been particularly ruinous...a bumper year with so many new 'flagship' camera models by Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Sony etc. The force is so strong, how to resist?!? And it's only August!

Do you still save your money ?

Good question. In any hobby, hifi, photography, cars, etc, moderation is the key as not all of us have unlimited resources. Family is important and spending for hifi and photograhy hobby is carefully considered only after having taken into account of expenses for childrens' education, annual holiday, medical, maintenance of car etc and saving for retirement. Of course saving for me would not be cash in the bank but investment in good stocks with good dividends annually that is more than enough for my hobby spending and holidays for family.

I spend abt 8k but will still increase in the future. I still single, still ok. If got gf or family, stop liao.

I think it is difficult to tag an amount on an interest. Like someone said, car would bring you down by $10k a year. So, it is all about your budget and how you wish to spend them.

I enjoy the bns to manage my cost down. Also try not to buy what I like but more what I need. I am sure my cost will goes up over time but again, if it is within budget, ok lah. So far less than $4k in less than 2 years.

Since many of us are of different backgrounds and earning different incomes, I would like to survey you guys on the relative percentage of your salary that u spend on your gears so far...

For e.g. if u have started photography for 20 months, your gears are worth 6k, and you draw a salary of about 3k/mth, that makes u spend an average of 10% of your salary on photography equipments...

How much will i spend? Up to 20% of my pay i guess, lol. Still need $$ for other commitments.

CTH1983 said:
How much would ypu spend on your gear as a hobby?

My first body is bought new. Then subsequent body is bought 2nd hand, sold off the first body.

Lenses are all 2nd hand, except for one.

My investments not much. Buy and sell.

trd2970 said:
How much will i spend? Up to 20% of my pay i guess, lol. Still need $$ for other commitments.

20% of your salary is actually an amazingly big percentage to be spent on a hobby. I think.