photography as a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
thinking of taking photos as a job

slim chance of it becoming a full-time thing, but
interested to know how do you get started?

do you HAVE to own a studio [studio lighting, etc]?
do you need to have attended those photography
courses [any good ones to recommend]?

did photography before - as ECA, mainly shooting sports day,
swimming competitions, sch theatre productions, etc

mervlam

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
You will need a very good portfolio of your works, some equipment and some advertising.

No, you do not need to own studio lights (you can rent a studio instead) nor you need to attend photography courses. Experience would be a plus. But, more importantly, you need "cangtao" and "lobang" to survive.

Originally posted by Poke-u-pine
thinking of taking photos as a job
A more apt term would be "Professional Photographer".

Merry Christmas!

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
There're no hard and fast rules really...

One thing to take if you take anything out of this thread? Be in the right place at the right time. Oh, and be a good photographer. Oh, and be a people's person. Oh, and...

roti

Sep 24, 2002
Sgp/China/TW
Visit site
Originally posted by mervlam
You will need a very good portfolio of your works, some equipment and some advertising.

No, you do not need to own studio lights (you can rent a studio instead) nor you need to attend photography courses. Experience would be a plus. But, more importantly, you need "cangtao" and "lobang" to survive.

A more apt term would be "Professional Photographer".

Merry Christmas!
mmm.....i hav not attended any courses before......to me it's a waste of money.........best way is to work as a asst. photograhper..........tats wat i did...when i first started off my career.......but wat kind of photography r u in ???wedding, adv......

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
working as a professional is unlike other job. You can't just go for an interview and say " I want to be a photographer". The interviewer ask you " what are you good in." you answer " ????dunno leh".

Got wat I mean? Start photography as a hobby 1st.

mervlam

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
I forgot to mention working as a photographer's assistant and Jed's right. No hard and fast rules. Interest in photography is important of course!

Silverelf

Dec 19, 2002
Near Equator
Visit site
HOw do you get to be a photographer's assistant? ambush one and say you want to be his assistant?? :) just joking lah.....

roti

Sep 24, 2002
Sgp/China/TW
Visit site
Originally posted by Silverelf
HOw do you get to be a photographer's assistant? ambush one and say you want to be his assistant?? :) just joking lah.....
no.....do be patient to read the papers......

Status
Not open for further replies.