Photography an old man's hobby??

Status
Not open for further replies.

asturias105

Dec 18, 2004
photobloglww.orgfree.com
Hi guys, pretty pissed off by some remarks of my friends. Told them that I had an interest in photography lately, and they seem to have the perception that photography is an old man's game. One of them even said "hey, when I retire in future, I come find u. teach me how to shoot nice photographs then ok?" Irritating, yah?

Just wondering what are ur views on this issue? This ever happened to you? :(

never happened. I think you have very misinformed friends.. :D

true true ... couldn't be an old man's hobby ... lolz ... i'm young, got young friends who are interested in photography .. and got young friends who want me to take portraits of em =P ... only i haven't done portraiture before =/

I think your friends have the wrong perception on photography. It never happen to me.

*strokes beard*

:bsmilie:

actually no, i've never come across this type of situation before. i guess now is the digital age, EVERYONE has some form of digital camera, be it in their bags or mobile phones....

take it in ur stride lar.. play along with them lor. i mean you said they were FRIENDS rite? maybe one day they will understand.

for me, NONE of my CLOSE frens are interested in photography. all my photographer friends come from .... CLUBSNAP! :thumbsup:

compare basketball and photography.

which sounds more youthful?

I've came to terms that most of my friends won't understand or care when i say things like... er... 'hey, i handheld that at 1/5s' or ' i took that pic under difficult lighting conditions'

yes, photography appeals to all ages... but not many youngsters would bother about the technical aspect of it - not even about shutter speeds or aperature.

i admit that photography isn't what most youths or young adults would consider as a 'mainsteam' hobby. but... what the heck. Everyone's unique!

Cheers!

well well well~ thats a first! *strokes imaginary beard*

there are lotsa guys who own cameras... maybe its not a hobby - could be more of a 'tool' for them as in... to snap pics with friends here n there... oh well, dont be disheartened! Continue to post here to get your camera fix! hehe

Seems like your frens are young fellas. Photography is for all ages. It transcends time and emotions. It is definitely not for the ignorant and immature; certainly beyond the reach of the shallow.

Who cares?
It is the matter between a jack of all trades, master of none=photography :sticktong

Even a monkey can point and shoot :bsmilie:

asturias105 said:
Hi guys, pretty pissed off by some remarks of my friends. Told them that I had an interest in photography lately, and they seem to have the perception that photography is an old man's game. One of them even said "hey, when I retire in future, I come find u. teach me how to shoot nice photographs then ok?" Irritating, yah?

Hi,
If you said,"I play guitar in a band", and they would they think the same ?

I suggest you find some new friends with intelligence :bsmilie:

I am not being insulting to you, just your friends.

Is your friends 6-12 years old? Photography is all about one's individual.

Why not try to shoot some nice photos and show to them what you can achieved. This is not to prove them wrong but it's all about yourself. Do you know that photography is part of our lives. It records down beautiful memories and unforgetful incidents.

Photography has cause a great impact in our lives. Why not asked your friends on whether they take photos of their own families and whether the exposure is well taken. If you have the skills to control your exposure and keep long lasting memories photos of you and your family, I am pretty sure the next time your friends visit you and view your photos, they will probably ask, "Eh where did you learn to take so well?"

Then just reply them, I learn from young photographer! :bsmilie:

fuzzy said:
compare basketball and photography.

which sounds more youthful?

Apparently u have not tried serious birding :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :sweat:

i agree with pro image there,
and ask your friends... if photography is only for old pp..
WHY are those hp with cameras SOOoooooo fad among the youngsters?
seems to me the younger ones are more into taking pics than they think... :bsmilie:

oh yeah... and i fell totally in love with photography since I was like... primary school??

asturias105 said:

Why would you care?.....they don't know what they miss.....let them be ignorant if they want to.....

I just hope you wouldn't also fall into the current view that one needs to have the latest cameras/digis to 'belong' to the group, now that is a similar 'problem'.....

The only frowns I got was when I take pics of shadows etc....people just couldn't understand what I was taking pics of! He!he!. I never cared....cause they don't see what I see.....

HS

~Arcanic~ said:
i agree with pro image there,
and ask your friends... if photography is only for old pp..
WHY are those hp with cameras SOOoooooo fad among the youngsters?
seems to me the younger ones are more into taking pics than they think... :bsmilie:

oh yeah... and i fell totally in love with photography since I was like... primary school??

Hmm looks like we are on the same wave length! I have a handphone too with camera but me not young anymore. So what do I do consider?

Reminds me of a situation...

My friend asked me... "Wow! Your pics so nice! Your camera must be very good!".

I replied to her... "You looked beautiful today too. What brand of makeup u used?".

hongsien said:
Why would you care?.....they don't know what they miss.....let them be ignorant if they want to.....

I just hope you wouldn't also fall into the current view that one needs to have the latest cameras/digis to 'belong' to the group, now that is a similar 'problem'.....

The only frowns I got was when I take pics of shadows etc....people just couldn't understand what I was taking pics of! He!he!. I never cared....cause they don't see what I see.....

HS

Where are you staying now? Hong Kong? Aiyo you really need to come down to Singapore. Those gatherings are now about showing off their latest equipments and how well they gaffer their equipments only. Not that I cannot afford but I do not see the need too. Haha.....:bsmile:

Some just buy and buy and buy only and then sell and sell and sell their equipment as it's their full time hobby!:bsmilie:

Pro Image said:
Hmm looks like we are on the same wave length! I have a handphone too with camera but me not young anymore. So what do I do consider?

:think: lemme see... eh... u are... :sweat: wahh... u got me there... lolx

AReality said:
Reminds me of a situation...

My friend asked me... "Wow! Your pics so nice! Your camera must be very good!".

I replied to her... "You looked beautiful today too. What brand of makeup u used?".
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.