Photographing Taoist deities

Status
Not open for further replies.

huoyun

Sep 24, 2006
Tampines
www.flickr.com
Hello everyone, just got back from 1-day tour in Malacca and visited a temple there. Can't recall the name, it was something-Yun-Shi (not Cheng Hoon Teng), where there are statues of each of the 12 animals in the chinese zodiac, as well as the Black Kwan Yin. Located somewhere in the plains.

Was tempted to document the trip with some pictures from this temple but was advised not to, not even take shots from the furnace which had carvings set in it. I took the advice but was thinking if we are really allowed to take pictures within the premises in respect of the deities? Or do we have to obtain permission via some rituals?

I'm not a taoist but I certainly want to be sure of the "red tapes" before going ahead. Pls share your advice folks.

Thanks!

Hello everyone, just got back from 1-day tour in Malacca and visited a temple there. Can't recall the name, it was something-Yun-Shi (not Cheng Hoon Teng), where there are statues of each of the 12 animals in the chinese zodiac, as well as the Black Kwan Yin. Located somewhere in the plains.

Was tempted to document the trip with some pictures from this temple but was advised not to, not even take shots from the furnace which had carvings set in it. I took the advice but was thinking if we are really allowed to take pictures within the premises in respect of the deities? Or do we have to obtain permission via some rituals?

I'm not a taoist but I certainly want to be sure of the "red tapes" before going ahead. Pls share your advice folks.

Thanks!

ermz.. i dont think taking the photos of the temple will be a big problem.. just inform the caretaker and if possible don't use flash and it is sometimes deems as dis respectful.. if you don't mind can also give the temple a copy of your photos..

i took photos in that temple a few times. No one advise me but out of respect i limit myself to the exterior area of the temple and not the interior hall. Interior hall is where all the detities were being placed and consider a sacred place.

I suppose if you take photos a peaceful mind and with no bad intentions and sensitive to how the other devotess react to your photography , it will be all right. :)

Taking photos in Chinese Temples is absolutely okay..unless otherwise stated..
But when trying to take photos of rituals, ceremonies, parades..be careful not to block the procession..:D

thanks guys :)

i'll probably visit the temples with a group of photogs just to make sure i'm not the only one shooting :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.