Photographing Sunsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

canon450D

Aug 27, 2008
Hi I am a newbie at photographing sunsets and need your advice. Other than my 450D and lens and pointing it at the sunset, do I need any additional equipment? What else must I do? Thank you.

Depends very much on what you want in your picture.

Eg, a silhouetted foreground/subject or nicely exposed foreground/subject + sky, etc

Depends very much on what you want in your picture.

Eg, a silhouetted foreground/subject or nicely exposed foreground/subject + sky, etc

Basically just for an accurate reproduction of the scene with the sun glowing orange red in the sky. Thks again.

depending on the mode you use, and whether you know how the onboard exposure meter works...for me, i dont aim the focus at the sky but the border between the sky and the ground.

Basically just for an accurate reproduction of the scene with the sun glowing orange red in the sky. Thks again.

what scene?

just the horizon? with foreground? with hdb blocks in front of the sun?

it depends on what sort of pictures you want from the sunset - if you shoot wider scenes you will tend to have a chance of requiring something like a gnd filter to hold back the sky so that your foreground can be seen.

frankly speaking, tripod is almost always needed for sunset photography, unless you just take the yolk (if it is exposed).

lastly, why are people always obsessed with the silly sun when it comes to sunsets? i know it is beautiful and all, but sometimes it is the least beautiful part of the entire scene.

Last edited:
Night86mare has good points.

Personally, it's the colour vibrance of the skies brought out by sunsets that attract me the most.

Explore the various possibilities & you'll know what you want to capture.

A good composition is essential in taking a good sunset photograph. try different framings, tight & wide. u may want to experiment manual mode & see the different effects of varying the aperture & shutter.

the rest, color enhancement & so on can be refined in PS. alternatively, u may get color filters or ND filters to add to ur lens.

more practices

try different exposure then pick the best one

Status
Not open for further replies.