photographing people in public

iceshu

Jan 3, 2011
You go out with your camera and you see an interesting shot with people inside. However, it is impossible for you to take the shot without them noticing.

Do you ask for their permission first? Or do you just snap away?

I find that I am often too embarrassed to shoot people in the first place. How do you overcome that?

Thank you for the advice!

This topic has been discussed to death already. Just do a search for "street photography".

I find that I am often too embarrassed to shoot people in the first place. How do you overcome that? QUOTE]

You have to learn to overcome that. You can't produce good result if you have mental obstacle. How? The simple answer is JUST DO IT. Sounds simple but overcoming your inhibition have to be from you. Unless you want to pay for professional help.

In photography(and in Life)..... practice makes perfect.

When you do it frequently, it's come natuarlly to you. just like with you first picked up your 1st DSLR(or any other camera), you'll fumble the first few times with the settings. but once you get the have of it, it'll be a breeze.

when you were a young teen, and going after your dream girl for the first time,you may feel shy and embarassed. but once you've talked to one girl and successfully got her to be your girlfriend, the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th girl... will be easier.

yes, you'll face some obstacles in the beginning, but soon you'll know how to handle different situations

You go out with your camera and you see an interesting shot with people inside. However, it is impossible for you to take the shot without them noticing.

I find that I am often too embarrassed to shoot people in the first place. How do you overcome that?

Just bring up your camera, focus and press the shutter button, thats it. If you can't bring yourself to do it, then forget about that genre of photography, there are others that might interest you.

A few methods to prevent being chase by people though,

1) aim your camera in a general direction, put to a smaller aperture, so that everything was sharp in your picture, and wait... anyone who walked into your frame and was captured by you is their own problem.
2) shoot your camera at whatever subject you want, then look away, or walked away. Don't care if they are happy or not.
3) talk to your subject and ask them for permission to shoot them.
4) for a start, go out in a group, so you will be more confident and when in a group, you will find more courage.

But do take care of yourself, try not to go to places to shoot streets when people there don't take these things too kindly... eg. go to the red light district in the evening or at night to shoot at you know what... you might get yourself killed pretty fast.

Be faster with the cam than they noticing you. If the people are of your age, kind etc.. just smile at them. If you have good reasons to assume a less friendly reaction: either don't shoot or run :)

Oh and know this? You are perfectly within your rights to shoot complete strangers on the street, as long as it's not indecent.
if the shot is interesting and you ask for permission, chances are you miss the shot, so worse to worst, if you are piques by a constant sense of guilt, you can always go up to them AFTER the picture. =D OR just shoot.

just shoot lo, if they don't like it they can always dodge or do this haha

Use a small and compact camera so as to not attract attention. Haha.
I think the most important thing is to be bold and just shoot. Normally ppl will just ignore you and walk away.
The most if they confront u then u delete the photos.
I think ppl would ask for permission when they want to send the photos taken for competitions thus may need the person to sign model release form.

My secret weapon.... Zoom!!!! Shoot from far!!

iceshu said:

Public places = Can shoot publicly.
Just a simple answer.. Hope this helps. ;)

Example: in East Coast Park, you see a cute child walking on the pavement/beach.
Just take ur cam out and shoot. Since it's public area which means for public viewing. Nothing wrong with taking a photo in such situation.

Just shoot, don't be afraid to go up close. Street photography need to be a little thick skinned.

I know a girl in this forum that continued shooting a pimp even when he starts shouting vulgarities at her:bsmilie:

though it not wrong to shoot at people. BUT ask yourself, do you like ppl shooting you directly?

Just shoot, don't be afraid to go up close. Street photography need to be a little thick skinned.

I know a girl in this forum that continued shooting a pimp even when he starts shouting vulgarities at her:bsmilie:

A pimp :O not in the red light district I hope.

I would strongly advise TS not to go there alone to shoot street photography. There are people doing illegal stuffs that don't want to be photo-documented, there are people doing things that they find not morally correct but somehow had to do and don't want to be photo-documented, there are people who will think that TS is a PI and so might get very hostile - physically... and there are lots of gangsters there...

If die die also must do photo-documentary there... please go there in a large group... but be sure to run when anything bad is happening.

I would strongly advise TS not to go there alone to shoot street photography. There are people doing illegal stuffs that don't want to be photo-documented, there are people doing things that they find not morally correct but somehow had to do and don't want to be photo-documented, there are people who will think that TS is a PI and so might get very hostile - physically... and there are lots of gangsters there...

If die die also must do photo-documentary there... please go there in a large group... but be sure to run when anything bad is happening.

But I think go out and shoot alone is better lei, no need to think about other (shooter) feeling, can walk around and shoot anywhere I want also haha

But I think go out and shoot alone is better lei, no need to think about other (shooter) feeling, can walk around and shoot anywhere I want also haha

Yes... when you are more comfortable with street shoots, then shooting alone or with one or two friends is okay... in fact most of my street shooting is done alone.

However when you just start out and was (as TS had mentioned) not comfortable or shy, then going out in a group is better, it will give TS some courage and he/she can learn by observing what others are doing.

But no matter how season you are... please keep away from some areas such as the redlight district (especially during evening and night) if really want to go... go in a group... that is for safety sake.

rhino123 said:
Yes... when you are more comfortable with street shoots, then shooting alone or with one or two friends is okay... in fact most of my street shooting is done alone.

However when you just start out and was (as TS had mentioned) not comfortable or shy, then going out in a group is better, it will give TS some courage and he/she can learn by observing what others are doing.

But no matter how season you are... please keep away from some areas such as the redlight district (especially during evening and night) if really want to go... go in a group... that is for safety sake.

Agree, run together can make everyone run faster. Also if an arguement occured, there are people to back you up.

Well if you are looking for shooting kaki, you can always ask me =p hahaha

Yup this is 1 place I will never go shoot alone hahaha, Espically Lor 11-14 haha

rhino123 said:

Well, not geylang but it's another known district. Didn't purposely go there to shoot the red light district though, just happen to pass by haha