photographing people in public

But I think go out and shoot alone is better lei, no need to think about other (shooter) feeling, can walk around and shoot anywhere I want also haha

Yes... when you are more comfortable with street shoots, then shooting alone or with one or two friends is okay... in fact most of my street shooting is done alone.

However when you just start out and was (as TS had mentioned) not comfortable or shy, then going out in a group is better, it will give TS some courage and he/she can learn by observing what others are doing.

But no matter how season you are... please keep away from some areas such as the redlight district (especially during evening and night) if really want to go... go in a group... that is for safety sake.

I think 1st few time go in groups better Cos can boost ur courage
Subsequently should be able to go out alone I guess

Thank you all for the advice.

I ask because I was once screamed at by an angry old woman while overseas. Funny thing was I was not shooting her and she was clearly not in the frame. She must have thought my compact camera was "super-duper" wide angle.

Since the incident, I've been very careful with using my camera in crowded areas lol.

Snap*, look at them, smile, ask if you can take more, snap more, say thanks. :D

*Does not apply to Singaporeans. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

bonrya said:
Snap*, look at them, smile, ask if you can take more, snap more, say thanks. :D

*Does not apply to Singaporeans. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hah! true. foreigners are most friendliest!

zeehamzah said:
hah! true. foreigners are most friendliest!

It's not really about how the foreigners are, but more about how we are as a society. :bsmilie:

Just shoot, don't be afraid to go up close. Street photography need to be a little thick skinned.

I know a girl in this forum that continued shooting a pimp even when he starts shouting vulgarities at her:bsmilie:

this girl got balls man.

spree86 said:
Just shoot, don't be afraid to go up close. Street photography need to be a little thick skinned.

I know a girl in this forum that continued shooting a pimp even when he starts shouting vulgarities at her:bsmilie:

Woah!!! :sweatsm: that's scary!!!

Wow... take my horn off my head... respect... Bonrya.

haha it really wasn't like that! I thought he was shouting at the bangala behind me! :sweatsm: :sweatsm: :bsmilie:

Public places = Can shoot publicly.
Just a simple answer.. Hope this helps. ;)

Example: in East Coast Park, you see a cute child walking on the pavement/beach.
Just take ur cam out and shoot. Since it's public area which means for public viewing. Nothing wrong with taking a photo in such situation.

Legally it's not wrong, but with all the news of child molesters/pedophiles - most parents would freak out at a stranger shooting their kid.

Public places = Can shoot publicly.
Just a simple answer.. Hope this helps. ;)

Example: in East Coast Park, you see a cute child walking on the pavement/beach.
Just take ur cam out and shoot. Since it's public area which means for public viewing. Nothing wrong with taking a photo in such situation.

depends on the subject.
public places can also stare publicly..

problem is if you stare at the wrong subject you might end up beaten or worst, dead.. same with taking photos of people..

What I do sometimes is to predict something might happen at some area, then position my camera there... turn to a small aperture so that everything will be in relative sharpness, and as soon as things happen, I shoot. Well... people cannot blame you for taking their photos because they are the ones who wandered into your frame.

rhino123 said:
What I do sometimes is to predict something might happen at some area, then position my camera there... turn to a small aperture so that everything will be in relative sharpness, and as soon as things happen, I shoot. Well... people cannot blame you for taking their photos because they are the ones who wandered into your frame.

The loopholes in life. Haha. Sometimes I just take but thn I turn away slightly after my camera clicked then the person would not know who I'm shooting :p

You go out with your camera and you see an interesting shot with people inside. However, it is impossible for you to take the shot without them noticing.

Do you ask for their permission first? Or do you just snap away?

I find that I am often too embarrassed to shoot people in the first place. How do you overcome that?

Thank you for the advice!

save the money seeking professional help and
get a 600/4 lens with a 2.0 teleconverter and shoot from very very far away........

I will be visiting Singapore in two weeks. Faces of the young or aged can make an excellent portrait. Non staged photos can snap the perfect look.
Is there any Singapore law of taking photos in public especially a young face under age of 10 years. I guess in a private place, like a Zoo or shopping centre, then permission can be enforced

I will be visiting Singapore in two weeks. Faces of the young or aged can make an excellent portrait. Non staged photos can snap the perfect look.
Is there any Singapore law of taking photos in public especially a young face under age of 10 years. I guess in a private place, like a Zoo or shopping centre, then permission can be enforced

I have not try to take photos of people in the shopping centre, I don't like the lighting there... as to taking photos of kids in zoo should not pose a problem at all... and I have been taking photos of people in singapore for quite a while, don't care if they are a few months old or 80 years old, and so far no one come to haul me to the court, so my guess is, it is alright to do it, as long as you don't take any indecent photos or go to a public toilet and shoot at people peeing, it should be alright.

But for shopping centres and other private establishment, it would be up to the management or owners to agree to you shooting at their guests and visitors.

Legally it's not wrong, but with all the news of child molesters/pedophiles - most parents would freak out at a stranger shooting their kid.

depends on the subject.
public places can also stare publicly..

problem is if you stare at the wrong subject you might end up beaten or worst, dead.. same with taking photos of people..

agree with this - this whole concept of "public place, i have the right to do anything i want" is over-rated.

i think there are situations where it is appropriate to take pictures of children playing in the playground, such as when your own child is there.

in the extreme case, some creepy, unkempt guy with a camera snapping randomly at children will probably attract some attention. :sweat: