someone I know volunteered my services
to photograph cooked food [I'm not sure
for what purposes, but prob for brochure
or just to show people what it looks like]

never shot food before

quite reluctant to do the assignment
[cos' dunno how to do make up for the food]

any tips/ advice?

what kind of food? just arranged a bit and shoot lor.. top down lighting is best

i think those pros uses special lights to make the food looks more delicious...no? long time ago, used to worked as room service captain in a 5 star hotel, assisted a pro photographer in arranging food for shots, for the menu...that was long long time ago...:p

what kind of food?

I guess it would be the usual dishes -
noodles [the fried or dry kind, and also
the kind with soup], fried rice, curry
puffs, spring rolls, dim sum stuff, meat dishes
[roast chicken, chicken wings, fish, etc]

prob be stuff like that

I've seen the pros at work in food court, they used studio light & blue background.;) They also used alot of stuff like onions, garlic, chilli etc to line along the outside of the dish plate/bowl.;)

Wat's it for? muz ask properly.. For magazine or menu? then u can arrange e setup according to their needs
depending on where u're shooting.. choose e correct film. I shot for a restaurant/wine bar be4.. n they want me to get e ambience. Provia should be good if u want to get e right colors. I think it's not necessary to use special lights... see their budget lah.. if low budget also not worth it. Make sure u get a good composition and focus on the right stuff. Muz capture e freshness of e food too... if shooting cooked food... like noodles or steak, try get the hot piping steam...

Some of my friends used special food coloring to enhance e color. But it's pretty complicated... so don't try if u're not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.