Photographic shops in Beijing/Shanghai

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy0101

Mar 16, 2005
Poland
Hello,

I'm going to China for my after-wedding trip, and I will be visiting Beijing/Pekin and Shanghai. In my country (Poland) photo stuff is very expensive, so I was thinking about buying something for my 20D in China. Anyone would reccomend some good photographic shops with equipment, lenses, flashes, cameras etc in Beijing/Shanghai with good, relatively low prices?

Thank You very much!
Timmy

Timmy,
There is this place called "wu ke song" photographic equipment city. This is a direct translation from chinese and maybe the staff in the hotel can teach you how to get there... you can get to that place via the subway line 1 and exit at "wu ke song" station and head north ~500m. I love that place cos besides new equipment, they have tons of used antique equipment... another place is called "ma lian dao" photographic equipment city. Its at a street where they sell tea(near "xuan wu men" subway station)... again the guys at your hotel should know where is that place. Prices for equipment is about the same price at both places. As usual, prepare to bargain and also know the market price. I know some stuff are more expensive than US while some are cheaper... Bottom line, dun get cheated and also dun fall into the buy buy buy syndrome. :sweatsm:

P.S. both places are in beijing

Thank You Idor :)

As for the bargain stuff... Does it really work in shops? We dont usually have oportunity to bargain in polish shops... As for details - I'm going to buy myself Canon 580EX flash. What price is taken as "market price" - maybe You know some online chineese stores, or maybe I can take US prices as "market prices" ?

p.s. one more thing - can I bargain in english language? :)

Thank You again!
Timmy

timmy0101 said:
Thank You Idor :)

As for the bargain stuff... Does it really work in shops? We dont usually have oportunity to bargain in polish shops... As for details - I'm going to buy myself Canon 580EX flash. What price is taken as "market price" - maybe You know some online chineese stores, or maybe I can take US prices as "market prices" ?

p.s. one more thing - can I bargain in english language? :)

Thank You again!
Timmy

Hi Timmy,
Erm bargain in english language, I am not sure about that. but again there is no harm trying.... Unfortunately you are going there after getting married.... Otherwise you can try to get a chinese chick... and she can be your translator.... :bsmilie: As for pricing wise, the generally rule of thumb I go with is that if i feel the price is cheap enough. I usually check the price in US at stores like BH photo or adorama and Nikon singapore. Then I know generally what is the price I am willing to pay. and when I bargain with them I will usually offer them a price lower than the price i am willing to pay and then slowly up the price. Just remember the first quotation is always high. I am not sure about poland but in many European countries, you have to pay taxes when you bring in electronic products.... Also online chinese store will not do you any good cos they are in chinese.... hehe. TW the sales terms is cash only. if you need help in looking for a english/chinese translator, PM me. My wife have some friends in Beijing.

P.S. Almost every shop I go to in china, I bargain... that is Asian culture... just like those indian and middle eastern stores in Europe... hehehe

Hi Timmy,

Use the Hong Kong prices from this site as a guideline:

http://www.ygdragon.net/

Don't forget to check the Benro tripods! And the lighting equipment! Especially at the first place mentioned above....

Good luck!
HS

i hear that in cities like shenzhen shanghai and beijing u can get over-run items like Gitzo, Manfrotto tripods and heads and direct replicas with China brand names.

hongsien said:
Hi Timmy,

Use the Hong Kong prices from this site as a guideline:

http://www.ygdragon.net/

Don't forget to check the Benro tripods! And the lighting equipment! Especially at the first place mentioned above....

Good luck!
HS

Hi Hongsien....
Do you personally use benro? Issit any good? looks like a copy of gitzo with lighter weight.... but I am not sure if it is as durable... can't seem to find anything about it online....

ed9119 said:
i hear that in cities like shenzhen shanghai and beijing u can get over-run items like Gitzo, Manfrotto tripods and heads and direct replicas with China brand names.
You can get better prices for these in HK as compared to Beijing.........not sure about prices in Guangzhou though, let us know....

I use a Benro A328 (aluminium), and sofar I am happy..........no screws falling off yet :)

They also have carbon fibre variants of these.....check some other threads here in Clubsnap, do a search under 'Benro' ,I listed prices somewhere.........

HS

Anyway, these are tripods, nothing much can go wrong........the twist and turn locks seems to work good........even my Gitzo G2228 locks sometimes slips.......

HS

Thank You very much guys!

Any problem with getting to those places with taxi? I will be visiting Bejing with organized trip with a group of people - my free time will be somewhow limited, so I need to go directly to those places, buy stuff and come back to my hotel :)

Thank You again,
maybe some other places Yuo know?
how about buying in markets/big tourist centers? the price is higher, right?

outside forbidden city there is a camera store that is very very old.... an excellent store.... only problem is that the prices of stuff there is high.... big markup...

Thanks again Idor! You are very helpful!
One more question - I was told that I will have more free time in Shanghai than Pekin. Maybe some directions, where should I go to get my cheap, great photographic stuff in Shanghai? :) Some shop names etc?

Thank You!

Timmy

timmy0101 said:
Thanks again Idor! You are very helpful!
One more question - I was told that I will have more free time in Shanghai than Pekin. Maybe some directions, where should I go to get my cheap, great photographic stuff in Shanghai? :) Some shop names etc?

Thank You!

Timmy

There's already a thread talking about this.

I just went to the place last week and its fun. Dont think they speak english over there.

So it will be kinda hard to get something in good price without knowing chineese language?

timmy

hey guys, i will be goin to shanghai too in december. do you know what stores sell benro tripods? Do you have the store names or addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.