Photographer's Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beethoven

Jul 25, 2005
Singapore
Hi guys,

So I was walking home last night and there was a road block (for drink driving possibly?) set up with several patrol cars and bikes. At a junction about 50m away I passed two police officers who appeared to be detaining a young guy for taking some photos.

I managed to catch a few phrases like "delete the photos that you took" and "interference in our operation" before I crossed the junction and was out of earshot. I'm not sure what he actually did, or what happened to him in the end, but this led me to wonder about our rights as photographers. There's quite a bit of hype about IP laws protecting original content, but there's only scant info on the related issue of where/when/what we can take photos of.

I have read accounts here on how ppl were stopped from taking photos in MRT stations, and I understand that is the policy adopted inside some public buildings too. There was also a recent incident in the UK regarding this issue (link below).

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351874

I'm pretty interested in street photography, and this somehow doesn't seem right (pun intended), like in what way is this interfering, and can the police or say security guards demand that someone delete photos? Again, I stress that I didn't see what he actually did or took photos of.

Any one has any experiences to share or comments to make? Anyone working in some sort of law enforcement role who care to enlighten us? Thanks.

I think either they have a tiny puny mind or they are just plain stupid to think that any smart a** would use a DSLR, esp with long lenses and shoot prominently is a potential "terrorist".

Let's see who will stop you if you are using a pns, hp cam or better still, looks like a tourist snapping away in places like mrt stations.

got plenty of such encounters

in one instance I asked what if I am tourist? and the reply was, tourist can.

Sheessssh ...

thats the power tourists' dollar, citizens are second class, even if u pay income tax

and i supposed citizens cannot because we are terrorists or likely to be one

i think its poetic justice that Mas Selamat escaped ...

chasing after the small wrong things when u got a big hole in ur ass

got plenty of such encounters

in one instance I asked what if I am tourist? and the reply was, tourist can.
Sheessssh ...

thats the power tourists' dollar, citizens are second class, even if u pay income tax

and i supposed citizens cannot because we are terrorists or likely to be one

i think its poetic justice that Mas Selamat escaped ...

chasing after the small wrong things when u got a big hole in ur ass

Haa, that's the dumbest reply one could say!

Excusey me, but I can't resist this one...
RIGHTS, do not exist in Singapore, preiod.

Donch worry.

Nowsaday, photos can always undelete one... :bsmilie:

Haha of course... but the point is whether they have the right to ask you to delete it in the first place.

Wow I thought the police officers were just being cautious or something; didn't know such double standards exist for foreigners. And to think in most other countries the police are more suspicious of foreigners than locals. Certainly brings to mind the phrase "good on the outside, rotten on the inside". :nono:

Maybe I will ask "How do I interfere you with taking photographs? Did I ever stick my glass in front of you?"

Maybe I will ask "How do I interfere you with taking photographs? Did I ever stick my glass in front of you?"

Hahaha... I wouldn't do that if I were you... (Well unless you are a tourist that is... :bsmilie:)

Because of this local wonderful thing called STOMP.

They are afraid that it may end up there and the photographs may not make them looked like policemen, even with prime lens.

Remember those "tired policemen" in the car park?:bsmilie:

yeah.. its not like they put a "No Photography" Sign on their Uniform... But well if they do ask nicely i think it doesnt hurt to delete photos of them slacking away would it? then again, super telephoto lens were invented to bring the action close to you from a safe distance! =P

Status
Not open for further replies.