Photographers Fall IN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus

Sep 3, 2002
www.purehub.com
Hi, I'm curious what you guys get the camera for? Pure hobby? Or for your work? Or?

Any students around 17+ owning a >1k camera?

Cause I told my friends that I want to buy the camera with my savings for pure hobby... All said that I'm SIAO!

:(

Taurus said:
Hi, I'm curious what you guys get the camera for? Pure hobby? Or for your work? Or?

Cause I told my friends that I want to buy the camera with my savings for pure hobby... All said that I'm SIAO!

hey it's ok man... i got my first cam when i was 17+ too and during that year alone i spent about $1k+ into my first Olympus C-4000z w/ tele lense and lense adapters + batts + charger + memory

Now i'm 18+ and i own a E-10 + Grip and 32mz metz flash + dry box. totalling about $1500 and the rest of the accessories i reuse from my old C-4000z accessories like batt and memory and stuff...

And all this cause i'm interested in photography , i'm just a hobbist like many here, who are enthusiastic as i am :) but now i also do part time photography assignments.

ammox77 said:
wah!!! now you so good already ah!!! :bigeyes: where you got all this lobans one?!

join clubs in school and help out friends with their societys, usually it's free but sometimes i get paid....

Taurus said:

hmmm hi Taurus, my first advice is not to spent a $1k++ camera for a start, perharps you could start out with a Canon A70 that cost about $500 i think or if you like Olympus i guess now the market price for a good one could cos roughly less then $1k i think so only lah. Before you buy any camera ask yourself this question - will you last with this hobby for a very long time, or you just want to play play only? Or you want to be like me like that from hobby to semi pro for my firm and a freelance photographer also? ask yourself again will this few camera(whatever brands) give you the result of what you want? Can you affort for this? Or you want to go on hunger after buying a very expensive camera? there are still many more question to be ask before you really buy Taurus, think carefully. I'm not here to stop you from your love of photography as a hobby, i'm here just to try to advice you Taurus, i hope my words are not too offensive to you.

Cheers,
Henry

SianZronG said:
join clubs in school and help out friends with their societys, usually it's free but sometimes i get paid....

good good sainzrong you are getting there, keep up the good hobby hahaha keep shooting

ammox77 said:
hmmm hi Taurus, my first advice is not to spent a $1k++ camera for a start, perharps you could start out with a Canon A70 that cost about $500 i think or if you like Olympus i guess now the market price for a good one could cos roughly less then $1k i think so only lah. Before you buy any camera ask yourself this question - will you last with this hobby for a very long time, or you just want to play play only? Or you want to be like me like that from hobby to semi pro for my firm and a freelance photographer also? ask yourself again will this few camera(whatever brands) give you the result of what you want? Can you affort for this? Or you want to go on hunger after buying a very expensive camera? there are still many more question to be ask before you really buy Taurus, think carefully. I'm not here to stop you from your love of photography as a hobby, i'm here just to try to advice you Taurus, i hope my words are not too offensive to you.

Cheers,
Henry

Somehow i agree with Henry over here.
You should start off with a camera which is not too complex. Or else you will be lost in the maze of controls the camera has.

As Henry said a start would be a A70, for mi it was the C-4000z, But if soon catch on to the hobby , you will outgrow your A70 very fast wanting more, more speed more control more power, this stage is part where you will spend the most money over something you won't need, cause you will be brain washed by websites and advertisments to buy new cameras more advanced and superior then what you have now in your hands. For me i am past that , i found a suitable camera for my needs a all rounder which dosen't cost a bomb. So i invested in it and loved it. But of course there is a 10D or a D100 or a 300D calling out for me. But thou shall not be tempted. And suffice with what i have now. Cause at this point it is no longer the cam it's the man behind the cam.

Good luck in your adventure into the big world of photography.

SianZronG said:
Somehow i agree with Henry over here.
You should start off with a camera which is not too complex. Or else you will be lost in the maze of controls the camera has.

As Henry said a start would be a A70, for mi it was the C-4000z, But if soon catch on to the hobby , you will outgrow your A70 very fast wanting more, more speed more control more power, this stage is part where you will spend the most money over something you won't need, cause you will be brain washed by websites and advertisments to buy new cameras more advanced and superior then what you have now in your hands. For me i am past that , i found a suitable camera for my needs a all rounder which dosen't cost a bomb. So i invested in it and loved it. But of course there is a 10D or a D100 or a 300D calling out for me. But thou shall not be tempted. And suffice with what i have now. Cause at this point it is no longer the cam it's the man behind the cam.

Good luck in your adventure into the big world of photography.

:thumbsup: well said!! :D

Hi, thanks for all the speedy replies. :D

I've been using A40 for 1 1/2 years until few months back, I lost it while at the chalet... (I left it outside the chalet) :angry:

I've spent few months thinking of what camera to get...
I've thought of A70, A40, or a more heavy investment, Nikon 5700 :embrass:

I can say I'm quite interested in photography... and I really find it difficult to pass days without my A40...

I've been wanting to go into another level of photography... but the cost is really :sweat:

But after some talks with my friends, I found out nobody seems to agree with me of my idea on getting a 'prosumer' camera...

What to do? :(

Taurus said:

I've been using A40 for 1 1/2 years until few months back, I lost it while at the chalet... (I left it outside the chalet)

I've thought of A70, A40, or a more heavy investment, Nikon 5700

I can say I'm quite interested in photography... and I really find it difficult to pass days without my A40...

I've been wanting to go into another level of photography... but the cost is really :sweat:

But after some talks with my friends, I found out nobody seems to agree with me of my idea on getting a 'prosumer' camera...

5700? hm... that's the peak of the nikon prosumer series hehe... a littl too extreme i must say.... if you have been A40ing for the past 1 1/2 yrs i think it's should be time to move on.

i'm a student i know your cash problems. for mi i would recoomend you not to go first hand and go second hand instead... cause for students like us it would be more economical to do a second hand invesment. wait and hunt for the correct buy... don't get all jumpy on the first target you see... sit back wait until the price is really right... cause if you want to get a second hand 5700, there is one on sale now but right after you buy it 2 days later someone offers the same or better for a cheaper price. and with more stuff..... you get the idea rite?

ok i gotta go home in office now. BYE! continue tonight .:D

Taurus said:

I've been using A40 for 1 1/2 years until few months back, I lost it while at the chalet... (I left it outside the chalet) :angry:

I've thought of A70, A40, or a more heavy investment, Nikon 5700 :embrass:

only one thing...trust yourself, belive in yourself, chose your own passion

just go get one if u can afford it,why cares about wad ur frds say?

happy can liao :bsmilie:

Reaching another level of photography lies with your mind, not with a piece of equipment.

Well, it's your passion for photography... :) Who cares what other ppl says?

As SianZronG has mentioned, it's the man behind the lense that capture the special moment, not the camera itself. Just make sure you are focused along the way, and not be distracted by the constant urge to get the newest and fastest equipment around. I have to keep reminding myself that the primary function of a camera is to take good pictures... :D

IMHO, it's always better to get a higher end camera to start with, as it gives you more room to grow into... Rather than getting a simple camera which you would definitely outgrow in a matter of months if not weeks... :)

But beware, getting a camera that is too complex can be very discouraging, esp when there are so many controls for you to master... Ppl tends to give up when they are faced with an obstacle, you know...

Look around... Do consider the many options available, especially when all the manufacturers are coming out with new stuff everyday. :D

Cheers and do enjoy your journey into this interesting hobby...

Edwin

My advice will be to get a camera with sufficient manual controls if you really want to learn the in-depth part of photography. If you get a camera with insufficient manual controls, you may end up yearning for more within a few months from your purchase.

They are too young to appreciate fine arts? :bsmilie:

IMO, it's a matter of interest and priority, if your friends don't see photography as a hobby, of course they will say u r siao. Likewise if one of your friends says he/she wants to spend all the savings on rearing Luohan, you will also say him/her siao.

As long as you have the means and passion for photography, I don't see the reason not to ignore your friend's comments, maybe one day they might require your services. ;)

Taurus said:

For myself, it's more of a hobby. I wished I can use my cam for work. :sweat:

Taurus said:

Hmm, am I too young to get a camera that expensive?

I dun see age as an issue, it's more like the means to get an expensive cam, and also if u can justified to use one.

Taurus said:
Hmm, am I too young to get a camera that expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.