Photographer's Etiquette (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0d3

Feb 3, 2003
I was at an event at the Police Academy today, where a carnival of sorts was going on and the President was also there. So anyway, I was taking a few shots with my 300D when this photographer using a D100 (I think its a D100), asked me "Like that also can shoot ah?" in a very sacarstic manner. He was referring to the way I angled my shot. And before that, him and another photographer (they both seemed to know each other) using a 1-Series camera kept purposely (cause they knew I was taking) blocking me and shoving me aside. Its quite disturbing that photographers like them can have no sense of politeness or any sense of etiquette. Ah well, just needed to get this off my chest.

n0d3 said:
I was at an event at the Police Academy today, where a carnival of sorts was going on and the President was also there. So anyway, I was taking a few shots with my 300D when this photographer using a D100 (I think its a D100), asked me "Like that also can shoot ah?" in a very sacarstic manner. He was referring to the way I angled my shot. And before that, him and another photographer (they both seemed to know each other) using a 1-Series camera kept purposely (cause they knew I was taking) blocking me and shoving me aside. Its quite disturbing that photographers like them can have no sense of politeness or any sense of etiquette. Ah well, just needed to get this off my chest.

that's really bad. you have a picture of them? :angel: :devil:

laugh it off... just consider them to be really insecure photographers.

Wouldn't bother too much with this kinda of photographers. Yep code is right,
insecure photographers. This has nothing to do with photography anymore but more towards human behaviour......happens all the time.

Well, other photographers may think they are pros because of their equipment, number of years in the business etc. So they'll continue to be sarcastic or act as if they deserve a spot better than you do.

But in the end, it's the photograph itself that matters. Funny thing that photographers can be so mean to each other...if anything, we should rejoice in having a common hobby, which, by the way isn't all that common.

eikin said:
that's really bad. you have a picture of them? :angel: :devil:

I had a photo of one of them somewhere in one of my shots, haha. I guess it'll be quite rude to post a photo of him publicly.

code said:
laugh it off... just consider them to be really insecure photographers.

Yeah I guess they're just insecure. Heh.

don't bother about these kind of ppl...big equipment does not mean good photography...

I was at an event today with my A70 coz left 1D at home.Initially I did feel uncomfortable coz it's a totally different experience to shoot an event with a small DC. I noticed that performers and audience stared at my with quite strange look. Obviously, I looked more like a snapshooter rather than a photographer. Fortunately most photographers were focused on the stage, and nobody fight candid opportunity with me except for one Leica M6 user (hi, I dont know if you ever read this forum). Soon I adjusted myself and shot as usual. Although with a tiny A70, all the performers could tell I am more or less a photographer and they started posing for me or ignoring me (which is what I expected). The results are not too bad I'd say (will pose some later) and I am happy.

My suggestion is: ignore what others think about you. Your pictures speak. If you get what you wanted, well, forget about those nonsense.

catchlights said:
your lenses not small leh. :bsmilie:

tt's why mine photography not so good..lol :bsmilie:

tomshen said:
My suggestion is: ignore what others think about you. Your pictures speak. If you get what you wanted, well, forget about those nonsense.

very true indeed. it's the photo thats matter. big and ex equiment does not equal to good photo. even if your equiment is big and ex, but have to spent alot of time editing, it's still worthless.

n0d3 said:
Hi n0d3,
Can to shear with us how you angled your shots, why does he need to make such a comment, a photographer should know to shoot a subject, sometime the variation of angles can be unlimited, (off cause some angles may not works well.)

Ones should not comment on others how the way they shoot openly, this is unethical, if you are the official photographer you can demand them to get out you way, because you have responsible to have a good coverage of the event.

n0d3 said:
I had a photo of one of them somewhere in one of my shots, haha. I guess it'll be quite rude to post a photo of him publicly.

Yeah I guess they're just insecure. Heh.

They might frequent clubsnap and see their picture here :)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=139473&highlight=dreamcars+Asia

The cars were ok so were the babes, nothing to shout about compared to the SAS in 2001.
But the photographers there were somewhat irritating, not all. With a small gap just to shoot the race queens they come pushing and shuffing into the crowd, some took turns to take photos with the race queen while their friends shoot, over and over again. Come'on who would want you in their photos.My friends who were looking on were like, wtf they despo or what?
At least there was one photographer that was kind enuff to tell this dude to stop pushing in a nice manner, guess his reply?

We all should know how 2 be polite Singaporeans, rollseye.
any comments on this issue?

Well, laugh it off, then be polite to the one next to you and make the sacarstiker feel shameful.

To me, it's just taking images, use what you feel is right. Don't worry too much about the rest, I've had my fair share of those that despise DC users myself. Just let them be. :)

hmm..are they photographers hired to cover this event? if that's the case, they should have the priority because it is their duty to get the shots.

but how about this case?

An event organiser invited the press to this event, there were lots of photographers and videographers present. They are supposed to take photo and video for their editorial works.

In addition, the event organiser also hired a photographer to cover this event....after the photographers & videographers from the press stationed themselves, this official photographer came to the front and blocked everyone behind.

In this case, who should get the priority? Both have their jobs to do, but should the official photographer give way to the invited guests from the press? :think:

n0d3 said:

:bsmilie: just joking lah. anyway sent you a tactic to 'tackle' with this kind of people, hope it'll work for you ;) :angel:

Nowadays more and more Singaporean is like that lor. Singaporean continue like that they will not able to know how to understand art.

Status
Not open for further replies.