photographer's assistants network

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumma

Jan 5, 2005
Oulu, Finland, Finland
www.wongliji.com
hello all!

i'm restarting this thread which started a few years back by stereobox. looking for people to exchange ideas, tips, networking, etc and so on.

i'm currently working as a PA and i thought it'll be cool to know more PAs and probably learn more about this industry!

i'd like to try being one too but i'm in school and im told that assistants always have to carry stuff and i've got an injured right hand :(

cool~ count me in if there's anything coming up :bsmilie:

i'd like to try being one too but i'm in school and im told that assistants always have to carry stuff and i've got an injured right hand :(

yep that's right! Need to carry alot of stuffs! Probably u might want to consider other jobs if u have an injured right hand? Not worth aggravating your hand's condition for it. It might get worse and u can't press shutter with right hand then!

Freelance/Part-time photographer's assistant here :)
It's true being an assistant had plenty of stuff to carry, not forgetting getting yourself dirty and the background work for preparing every shoot :cool: But it's really a nice learning path which I believe needed if one really keen to enter the line.

Last edited:
sure! Why not share more about urself? Are u assisting full-time/freelance/part-time?

doing my masters part time.. and parttime helping a wedding photographer on-off.. not so much as a source of income..but more of gaining experience and simply for the love of it..:)

Last edited:
doing my masters part time.. and parttime helping a wedding photographer on-off.. not so much as a source of income..but more of gaining experience and simply for the love of it..:)

Looking for more opportunities to be wedding photographer's assistant/2nd photographer..anyone got lobang? :bsmilie:

that's cool! i'm no expert in this line but probably u can speak to michael chan or Ah_k? or look out for opportunities in the market place! probably someone who knows this better can shed some light!

not sure if i qualify under being an assistant as well. I've been assisting alot of wedding photographers over the last four years. And i think that assisting the masters is one thing that will definately help you to learn the ropes here and there. But when i went on to shoot on my own i realised that most of the stuff i learnt visually from the masters i caouldnt aplly as well as them.

So in the end its really about not just following the masters as an assistant. but also alot of asking yourself How and Why things are done in a certain way. On top of that you need to practise by means of shooting on your own or even trying to replicate and emulate what you have learnt. Once u are able to do that, add your own style to it to see what works best.

Thats just a little sharing on what i know. =)

I also wish for more opportunities to learn... :bsmilie:

currently working in a bank but wish to become a wedding photog...

If you are only asked to just carry reflector and stuff and buying coffee for the team, I dont think you can really learn much from being an assistant to a photographer. Unless the photog is prepared to teach you and willing to share the tips with you, there's really limited you could learn by just being an assistant.

Just my two cents. :)

If you are only asked to just carry reflector and stuff and buying coffee for the team, I dont think you can really learn much from being an assistant to a photographer.

if one can't even slog through the initial stages of buying lunches and carry heavy loads, then it's best that they might want to think of an alternate route to being a full time photographer.

If you are only asked to just carry reflector and stuff and buying coffee for the team, I dont think you can really learn much from being an assistant to a photographer. Unless the photog is prepared to teach you and willing to share the tips with you, there's really limited you could learn by just being an assistant.

Just my two cents. :)

If your mind is switch off and eyes is open and yet not see, you will never learn anything even after 10 years as a PA. Don't expect to be spoon fed.

Even the mere act of carrying the reflector, you can learn the behavior of lights and art of modifying lights to the subjects in many ways, more than just reading a text book.

By carrying and placing the lights and looking at how & figuring why each lights are placed at certain angle and ratio of the lighting power in relation one another and to the subject in various situation, one will learn and understand the principle behind each action and situation. Again text book don't teach you.

Nothing beats learning thru observation and an enquiring mind from real life situation.

Don't expect the photog to teach you while you are assisting, you can ask him why certain actions are done (but of course do not make a nuisance of yourself)

I even had PA younger photog before and have learnt many useful points and experiences, no text book can teach.

If your mind is switch off and eyes is open and yet not see, you will never learn anything even after 10 years as a PA. Don't expect to be spoon fed.

Even the mere act of carrying the reflector, you can learn the behavior of lights and art of modifying lights to the subjects in many ways, more than just reading a text book.

By carrying and placing the lights and looking at how & figuring why each lights are placed at certain angle and ratio of the lighting power in relation one another and to the subject in various situation, one will learn and understand the principle behind each action and situation. Again text book don't teach you.

Nothing beats learning thru observation and an enquiring mind from real life situation.

Don't expect the photog to teach you while you are assisting, you can ask him why certain actions are done (but of course do not make a nuisance of yourself)

I even had PA younger photog before and have learnt many useful points and experiences, no text book can teach.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

Good stuff :thumbsup:

second that. most stuffs are quite logical. if not experiment it urself first, don't know then ask. things like why use a reflector instead of softbox, etc.. i think these differences are quite obvious.

also the non-technical stuffs, what to do when a client comes.. how to make them feel comfortable, etc.. if anyone can shed more light on this!

i realised alot of assistants here are looking to do weddings. i'm not against it, but where are the advertising and other 'genre' assistants!

been doing adhoc PA for awhile
corporate, commercial, wedding
also second shoot for wedding / event
:)

what i am interested in is how much do you guys get paid, if you get paid at all. because i believe different photographers pay their asst. different rate. Hourly? half-daily? or do they pay you for your skill or merely for your time?

Status
Not open for further replies.