Photographer's Assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesecake

hello,

anyone here works free-lance/part time/full-time as a photographer's assistant? :thumbsup:

i'm working as one, for starters.

what are the fees u guys command or expect for a day's work?

I freelance as an assistant too.

My studio pay me very very low. Which i shall not reveal.

My understanding is around $8.5/hr to over $150 a day depending on how exp you are.

Oh, i get less than that.

What does a photography assistant do ?

RuthBaby said:
i was once a AP...

sianz man... $ 200 a day (full day event : 6am - 12 midnite)

but ok lah.. tpt and meals provided.. :)

You might want to take note that a lot of people earn less than half of that and they do work long hours too and assume greater responsibilities.

digit said:
What does a photography assistant do ?

carry tripod, hold reflector, take meter reading... hmm... sometimes worst case.. run errand lor... and do back up photography.... if this in outdoor

indoor wise... same... setup studio lights, meter reading... co-ordination...

and MUST DIE DIE LISTEN to the main photographer... cuz he is the king...

money is king to mi too :bsmilie:

Kit said:
You might want to take note that a lot of people earn less than half of that and they do work long hours too and assume greater responsibilities.

i earn less than half of that. so envious!

Kit said:
i do hold responsibilities too... this is what was given to me at the end of the day... i dunno if tts a lot.. cuz ive seen mani "photographers" asking for FOC assistant..
depends how u depicts it... u may be able to learn some skillz from him.. or it not... jus a maria for him!!!

no offense... this is wat i heard from many photography assistants :nono:

RuthBaby said:
i do hold responsibilities too... this is what was given to me at the end of the day... i dunno if tts a lot.. cuz ive seen mani "photographers" asking for FOC assistant..
depends how u depicts it... u may be able to learn some skillz from him.. or it not... jus a maria for him!!!

no offense... this is wat i heard from many photography assistants :nono:

I believe whatever a person do, a reputation follows him/her around. Still, $200 is reasonable for a day's work.

RuthBaby said:
perhaps... i think so too...
im lucky perhaps...

:)

cheers!!!!

ruthbaby, you seem to have a decent deal. need assistant, call me ok.
I pm you my hp no. can?

By doing assisting jobs, one could learn more about how to use photography accessories such as clamps, C stand, Light Cutter, auto-pole, reflector, gels, & many-many more.
Not by just setting the lights only ;)

Most assistants (those experience) can be said that they are more 'practically' good than a photographer :D & most don't forget top pro-photographer are born from doing 'assisting jobs' at the beginning & walk their way up to be the pros.

I always believe in doing assisting jobs gives u a wider understanding about what photography is all about! Not just 'Taking Pictures' :D

As for myself, I still love doing photo assist until now ;)

Cheers,
vsion. :cool:

hello guys and gals!

i'm glad that there are alot more P.A in this forum!

i'm really fortunate to be free-lancing as a P.A for a really great(as a guy) and experienced photographer. was introduced to him by my uncle and has been assisting him since early last year. he taught me alot about lightings and composition and, communicating with clients.

he also showed me alot of stuff that i never knew existed(i'm totally 35mm format only) and i'm given a pretty decent pay(if u wanna know, PM me), enough for me to be happy and contended! i'm being paid on a day to day basis. half day or full day + O.T.

but i really hate carrying all those heavy set-ups. they are really HEAVY!

as to what many have pointed out, photo assisting really opened my eyes to a different world of photography. there are many genres and styles and different techniques. it kind of set ur perspective on what type of photography u really want to do. :thumbsup:

and the best of it all, its something that i'm really interested in(and getting paid for it!)
!
and, S$200/day is way too good, ruth! envious! ;)

regards,
cheesy

Hmmm.. where to find such a job? Got part time? hehe....... I dun mind low pay as a start just for the experience :D

luck, maybe?

for me, having a WIDE contact really helped. :thumbsup:

i have no prior experience before this P.A job comes along, but i got tremendous passion and some experience in studio photography as i'm learning photography in school too.

we all got to start somewhere, so y not consider posting ur service in the Consumer Services forum and see if anyone wants to pick u up for a trial session?

go for it! :thumbsup:

RuthBaby said:
lucky for me?
cos tt coy belongs to my uncle.. and i was attached with him for few months b4 venturing out myself.....

maybe 200 is eng siew mi?

:dunno:

well yeah ruth,

but nonetheless, its a great pay for u!

uncles are always great to have... haha

Photographer's Assistant?

With some photog's out there charging so little, where got the money to pay for assistant? At the most, ask the groom's 'brother' to help lor...

lesson to learn: serious amateur photogs should not spoil market by charging so damn cheap. You see where the money goes to know? Assistant, material costs, etc.... at the end of the day, the main photog should be happy if got enough money to buy makan!

RuthBaby said:
lucky for me?
cos tt coy belongs to my uncle.. and i was attached with him for few months b4 venturing out myself.....

maybe 200 is eng siew mi?

:dunno:

then u need a asst. now for yrself? :p
free or paid? :)

How or where can I find part time PA jobs for weekends? Me wanted to learn more on photography. Also if this job suits me well, then may just quit my current job and become a full time PA. Anyway, being paid $200 per day is quite ok liao. And if one month can get 2K+ as a full time, then I happy liao. Somemore doing a job that is your hobby also.
BTW this PA jobs got age limit??

Status
Not open for further replies.