Photographer sallary

alexpangestu

Jul 19, 2009
Indonesia
www.flickr.com
Hi All,

Do you know how much is a photographer standard monthly sallary? Any of you has photography as a profession? Are you a freelancer?

Alex

And one common trend is that professional photographers are mostly thin :) Go figure :D

Too busy counting money and not enough time to eat Si Boh? :bsmilie:

Lol... yea right... too busy to eat or not enough to eat >_<

And one common trend is that professional photographers are mostly thin :) Go figure :D

But they got big muscular left arms: :bsmilie:

Huge%20Lens.jpg

Lol... yea right... too busy to eat or not enough to eat >_<

Or you can be a food photography + reviewer...then ask for free meal like someone (no names mention)

Or you can be a food photography + reviewer...then ask for free meal like someone (no names mention)

Lol.. I know who you're referring to :)

@ Sion: Who knows, Syonan jinja really got gold below them? O_O

Saw one photographers in my friend wedding dinner and his size is very very thin :)

Alright, joke aside, I'm not a pro therefore I'm unable to answer you :)

But I'm sure there are pros that earn more than my salary here for sure, and most importantly, most (if not all) won't like to reveal their salary here.

I think you should change the term salary to income, since they are mostly freelancing/commission based/business etc etc

Pro photographers who make big bucks surely wont want to advertise their success here, otherwise there will be an influx of new blood into the industry competing with them.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Pro photographers who make big bucks surely wont want to advertise their success here, otherwise there will be an influx of new blood into the industry competing with them.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

If they won't let us know their income more people will assume all pros are in the $XXX,XXX league.

Then more people will come and flood the market. :bsmilie:

If they won't let us know their income more people will assume all pros are in the $XXX,XXX league.

Then more people will come and flood the market. :bsmilie:

hahaha ... jus like they assume some pros make enough to migrate and retire somewhere ;);)

1. Pro photographers know how to spell - it's "salary", not "sallary".
2. Pro photographers know how to navigate a forum - They would find the section called "The Photo Biz" where, after spending 5 seconds to read the description, you would know is the place to get answers instead of the Kopitiam.

Approx 30-40K a year. Wedding. Pro. Ok lah, enough to apply for credit card and play hifi....but definitely lower than any manager/team lead out there with a decent no of yrs exp. :) Do not think those local top wedding PGs jetting ard to cool places for pre-wedding and seem high-end in their blogs earn enough to really afford for a good number of years eat salmon roe eggs for breakfast, wear a Patek and drive a TTs, have a decent sized unit at Altez waiting for TOP. No way just solely on photography.

I have other incomes also.

You do not choose photography as a profession to enjoy a good income, actually sometimes the income is very erratic and if you are someone who does not have the habit of saving + maintaining good balance in your bank account (spendthrift and like to enjoy type which is ever so common nowadays for SGreans 28), it may not be an intelligent move for ya. But you do join it because it offers you the freedom of being "the boss", and not suffer from the near-daily suffering that some other regular mundane and somewhat "sunset" professions like IT, and matched with hellhole companies its a really wicked combi that can suck the life out of you. Check out how is it going in good sized branded local companies like Singtel, Mediacorp etc..... :)

Perhaps I am not a good example and I do not see how other PGs are doing, but I do see a lot of VGs, mostly in the 1-2k bracket, sometimes up to 4k bracket. Still HDB goers and the likes, nothing fanciful. They own cars are because they have kids and they live somewhere inaccessible like Yew Tee, not because they earn enough and can afford good ride to impress pretty girls. LOL! I have met someone who played the market well in 2009 and profitted about 300K plus, so now driving a Civic R. :)

You need to factor in that you cannot be doing photography for life, while if you don't mind a lower paid salary you still can survive with a regular job. You know, when you are in your golden years...... This affects if you are in the corporate world, this affects the photography profession more. And if you been a photographer and out of touch in the corporate world, you are past 35, nobody wants you back, you are on your own buddy. You can screw up in a regular job, get a new one. In photography, I have seen very highly paid guys fall and it takes quite a while, if it is possible at all. I guess you can do a name change if you are really desperate.
Some rope in their wife as well to do videography editing/express..... That = sole income + cannot go back to a regular job. Sole income = no backup. It is always good to have backup, in today's society and also looking into what....5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years....nobody really knows.

Lastly, there are so many tom dick harry shooting part-time at the low end sector so there is immense competition there. So the lower range of the pro-PG gets somewhat pulled down, which also in turns pull down the next league. It is only the upper-mid and the really top class event/wedding photographers who can truly say "I'm not affected". Else if you are really someone who can only shoot snapshots, be prepared to earn like 15-20k per annum. Or charge $400 per shoot so as to get 70 bookings per year to get 28k, factor 3k more or less for taxi transport from the hotel back to your house, MRT ride to venue to meet couples for signups/DVD delivery, PC upgrades, flash unit replacement, lens and body replacement. There is high wear-and-tear and equipment accidents due to you falling or dropping stuff you know. Also factor in most Sat and Sun burned, GF dumping you for another guy as you can't accompany her often, sacrificing time with wife and kids, parents/in-laws etc.

Last edited: