Photographer for KPE Swing - Discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djcoolmax

Apr 5, 2004
SK
- anyone knows the photographer?

- saw from the TV that he was wearing jeans.... could he have suffered from heat exhaustion?

Shin Ming daily reported too...only says that 2 runners one of whom is a Doctor proceeded to do CPR on him and that his heart had actually stopped twice. They had to use the defibrillator on him 3 times...

Chinese surname is Soh...48year old ...

Taken from Today Online

Man collapses in KPE event?
Monday • September 15, 2008

A MAN is in critical condition, aftercollapsing yesterday morninginside the unopened Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway.

This, during a race inside the tunnel to celebrate the completion of the 12km underground highway.

Identified as Mr Koh Sien Chin, 48, he was neither a participant in the competitive 10km run nor the 5km fun walk; he was hired by the Land Transport Authority as the event’s official photographer.

938Live reporter Joanne Chan, who witnessed Mr Koh faint at about 9.15am near the finish line, reported that the first people to respond were the runners.

One of them, Kalai Chelvan, had just completed the 10km race when he noticed Mr Koh, lying on the ground.

He recounted: “Another lady from the 5km walk crossed over and identified herself as a doctor. She said we needed to resuscitate him. He was turning blue in the face and his hands were cold.”

Mr Kalai, 43, administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while the doctor conducted chest compressions. Medics from the ambulance stationed a short distance away appeared to be at a loss and did not understand the instructions given by the doctor, he added.

As Mr Koh’s heartbeat could not be detected, he was given three shocks from the automated external defibrillator, a portable electronic device used to treat sudden heart attacks.

Mr Koh was sent to Changi General Hospital 20 minutes after his collapse, the cause of which is still unknown.

But some participants, including Mr Kalai, complained the tunnel was not well-ventilated.

“We felt breathless when we were running. Because we know the pace we run (and) how much oxygen we take in, from today’s run, I can tell you there’s not enough air coming in,” he said.

Another participant, who wanted to be known as Ms Huang, said she found it harder to breathe compared to outdoor runs. “Initially I found it quite fun, but by the fifth or sixth kilometre, it got a little stuffy and difficult to breathe. (It is) different from running outdoors, where there’s fresh air,” she said.

In a media statement, the LTA said it ensured the necessary medical staff and equipment — three private ambulances and a medical doctor — were in place for the event.

The LTA told Channel NewsAsia that the tunnel’s ventilation system — consisting of six jet fans and six tunnel ventilation fans — was working consistently throughout the event. 938Live

Taken from Today Online

Man collapses in KPE event?
Monday • September 15, 2008

A MAN is in critical condition, aftercollapsing yesterday morninginside the unopened Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway.

This, during a race inside the tunnel to celebrate the completion of the 12km underground highway.

Identified as Mr Koh Sien Chin, 48, he was neither a participant in the competitive 10km run nor the 5km fun walk; he was hired by the Land Transport Authority as the event’s official photographer.

938Live reporter Joanne Chan, who witnessed Mr Koh faint at about 9.15am near the finish line, reported that the first people to respond were the runners.

One of them, Kalai Chelvan, had just completed the 10km race when he noticed Mr Koh, lying on the ground.

He recounted: “Another lady from the 5km walk crossed over and identified herself as a doctor. She said we needed to resuscitate him. He was turning blue in the face and his hands were cold.”

Mr Kalai, 43, administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while the doctor conducted chest compressions.
Medics from the ambulance stationed a short distance away appeared to be at a loss and did not understand the instructions given by the doctor, he added.

As Mr Koh’s heartbeat could not be detected, he was given three shocks from the automated external defibrillator, a portable electronic device used to treat sudden heart attacks.

Mr Koh was sent to Changi General Hospital 20 minutes after his collapse, the cause of which is still unknown.

But some participants, including Mr Kalai, complained the tunnel was not well-ventilated.

“We felt breathless when we were running. Because we know the pace we run (and) how much oxygen we take in, from today’s run, I can tell you there’s not enough air coming in,” he said.

Another participant, who wanted to be known as Ms Huang, said she found it harder to breathe compared to outdoor runs. “Initially I found it quite fun, but by the fifth or sixth kilometre, it got a little stuffy and difficult to breathe. (It is) different from running outdoors, where there’s fresh air,” she said.

In a media statement, the LTA said it ensured the necessary medical staff and equipment — three private ambulances and a medical doctor — were in place for the event.

The LTA told Channel NewsAsia that the tunnel’s ventilation system — consisting of six jet fans and six tunnel ventilation fans — was working consistently throughout the event. 938Live

Great! :rolleyes:

I hope that Mr Koh recovers quickly and fully.

Last edited:
Great! :rolleyes:

I hope that Mr Koh recovers quickly and fully.

Just read the paper and think he is ok now. Somehow i just feel LTA did not take into consideration that people are running and there is no way a person can run faster than a car. Consider the number of people running at that time, is their air ventilators sufficient?

Just read the paper and think he is ok now. Somehow i just feel LTA did not take into consideration that people are running and there is no way a person can run faster than a car. Consider the number of people running at that time, is their air ventilators sufficient?

The stance is that everything was done, so whatever happened is not their fault or business.

Hi all. I was in the 10km run. And like to express my personal opinion and tell what i saw :

1) The ventillation fans are all on the high ceiling of the tunnels. Anyone with abit of science knowledge should know that CO2 is heavier and sink to the bottom. So how efficient is the fan so high up...? I doubt, IMHO.

2) I ran the whole 10km, and see no ambulance and medics insight along the way, except at the entrance. i only saw an ambulance rushing in at the last quarter of the 10km (near to entrance already) when someone attending to a participant on the floor (not the photographer, hope he is alright). And ambulance had to "squeeze" through the crowded tunnel, no emergency lane designated at all. So let's do abit of math. In 4mins, a person with heart stop will suffer brain damage. So if someone had a heart stop at the 5km point, then the ambulance parking at the entrance need to reach in let's say 5mins, that means it had to travel at a speed of 5km/5minx60min = 60km/hr, squeezing through crowd??? The driver better be a F1 driver. IMHO

3) And on the route map, you will see a water point at the 2.5km mark, and the 5km mark. But the water point at the 2.5km mark is only on the return route. So for the 10km runners, there were only 2 water points, one at 5km, and one at 7.5km. So the map is abit misleading. IMHO

4) And talking about the fainted photographer case. i am surprise that the 2 persons on the TV helping were not the medic. Ha! If the doc was not around. Good luck to the poor photographer. IMHO

5) A session of 1.6km is without light, so that the 5km participant can light up their lanterns to create the mid-autumn mood. But hor... the 10km runner don't have any light. So we all have to run in the dark except for some emergency lights and spot lights shining in my face. So exciting running in the tunnel in minimum light.... ?!?!?!?!?!

6) And the participants were ferried to the site 2hrs in advance, but hor, i think there was less than 20 mobile toilets in sight. For 10k people, in the worse situation.

So IMHO, i think this run was poorly organised. The only thing i could applause was the efficient ferry services.

I don't usually like to write such long post. But feel very disappointed in the way this is organised. So got to let some air out, since someone had started the discussion. Hope i didn't step on anyone's tail. If i unintentionally did, please pardon me.

could have labelled "lab rat race" instead... :rolleyes:

wad if a fire broke out in near stagnant traffic? :think:

Haha. Personally i find myself stupid signing up for the run. :D IMHO. When i queuing up for toilet usage. :D But since i was already there, and friends also there, so just take it easy lar. And i tell my friend i will never, ever, sign up for anything similar. :D IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.