photographer beaten up by 5 guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
...outside Peace Centre, according to a gentleman who works in the area. I was taking photos outside Peace Centre today when he and he friend waved me over and told me not to photograph people on the street, lest i be beaten up as well, or arrested for suspicious behaviour. his advice: ask for permission b4 shooting. anyone else had similar experience?

:think:

Wow! This sounds scary! :bigeyes:

wah.. serious or not?? :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Uncle Zaren... don't you see the irony of it all?

"PEACE" centre?.....

:bsmilie:

engineermunn said:
Uncle Zaren... don't you see the irony of it all?

"PEACE" centre?.....

:bsmilie:

that is interesting... :think:

i have more worry for the person's camera. Maybe he was aiming at the 5 guys. But this sounds scary definitely

Adzz said:
that is interesting... :think:

i have more worry for the person's camera. Maybe he was aiming at the 5 guys. But this sounds scary definitely
:think: was he using 20D and gave away the cue?

maybe he was shooting at the 5 guys' girlfriends to contribute to sggirls/sammyboy leh? :nono:
if so then i think he deserved it. :sweat:

no one have the rights to stop ppl from shooting in open area, would they beat up tourist who shoot outside peace centre? if someone come and tell me that they would beat me up if i take picture, i would just tell them that i have taken a picture of them, or will take a picture of them, and ask them to kindly follow me to the nearest police station for threats and harass. and they would need to gurantee my safety for the next few days or weeks if i ever get beaten up, they really gonna get it...

EiRiK said:
maybe he was shooting at the 5 guys' girlfriends to contribute to sggirls/sammyboy leh? :nono:
if so then i think he deserved it. :sweat:

well, be it for personal uses,contribution to sggirs or sammyboy, it is wrong of the 5 guys to beat up the person, for 1) it is against the law, 2) he has all rights to take photos of anyone, as long as it is in a public place.

that being said, sometimes, one will encounter such situation where the other party dont care whether the photographer has the rights or not. All these rights and stuff like this are meant for us to defend ourselves. But being faced in those situation, it might be better to just delete the picture to avoid all the troublesome. Some people, like in this situation just nasty, and dont care about your rights and law, and just bash you up.

It's really fate if such things were to happen. You can't expect to tell a Beng or Lian, that you have the rights to take, because you are in a public place. Probably what will happen next is the funeral wake of one's camera, or worse, being beaten.

Law cannot protect a photographer when the situation happens, esp when the person is nasty...

dats the trouble with street photo - u are free to piont yr camera where u want but people are also free to protest verbal or otherwise.

Dats why the season true street photog shoot with range finders, shoot fast keep moving. Not with drsl's and 3 -6 lens.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
would they beat up tourist who shoot outside peace centre? ...
think they still would, coz who knows who is tourist or local. anyway fists cannot differentiate... hehehe...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
if someone come and tell me that they would beat me up if i take picture, i would just tell them that i have taken a picture of them, or will take a picture of them, and ask them to kindly follow me to the nearest police station for threats and harass. and they would need to gurantee my safety for the next few days or weeks if i ever get beaten up, they really gonna get it...
dude, thats how we would deal with them in an ideal world. frankly if they dare to beat people up in broad daylight, u think they will follow u to police station or quietly listen to your wise words? :think:
besides, where were the police when that guy was being beaten up? so dont expect the police to come to your rescue when u r in that predicament. :sweat:

my advice is to use your common sense and err on the side of caution at all times. if ever in such situation, do not use it to test your (legal) rights or the efficiency of the police.

reachme2003 said:
my advice is to use your common sense and err on the side of caution at all times. if ever in such situation, do not use it to test your (legal) rights or the efficiency of the police.

he's right....it's better to use common sense than excercize your human rights.

I work near there, havent heard anything...hehe....surprised to see the news here. Anyway the area is alittle shady, especially after 11pm...those who frequent there should know what i mean. Perhaps they prefer a little privacy, who likes anyone pointing a camera straight at you, i wouldnt like it either, its a matter of politeness.

Better to avoid confrontations with people who won't understand your photographic needs, than risk losing your property or hurting yourself taking such risks. (especially in seedy areas) 2 cents worth. :D

:nono:

peace centre, isn't it beside paradiz/parklane where not-so-decent folks hang out? i would avoid that stretch myself.

What a coincidence!

In yesterday's Berita Harian, it was reported that the newspaper's own photographer was beaten up in JB last weekend.....by 5 men! He was at the Larkin market, JB, with his wife not to shoot but to do marketing.

Apparently, the men beat him up because while the photographer was holding on to his umbrella (it was raining), some rainwater had dropped onto one of the men who was waiting in the market. A quarrel ensued before the man's 'kakis' joined to assault the photographer.

His wife shouted for help but no one came to their rescue. Fortunately, he survived the beating.

Maybe i need to pack 1 more extra thing inside my camera bag.
##Parang##

They 5 guys then dare to beat him up.
I think someday must "ambush" them.

Some people just wanna stir trouble. Avoid them at all costs...

sehsuan said:
peace centre, isn't it beside paradiz/parklane where not-so-decent folks hang out? i would avoid that stretch myself.

ha~~~ if you ever notice, PSS is just opposite Peace Centre.

mervlam said:
ha~~~ if you ever notice, PSS is just opposite Peace Centre.

correction. PSS is directly opposite Paradiz centre.

too many armed with cameras from PSS could be the reason.

you're should know that in this system of ours, the police/judicary will not do anything to protect you should you get beaten up in the street. you need to file a complaint yourself, and hire a lawyer to prosecute should you want to press criminal charges. the public prosecutor will not do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.