Photographer and his gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoelse

Oct 17, 2003
There is a fashion photographer named Richardson, I think his first name is
Tony... anyway, he is shooting all of Gucci this year and next — I mean, this
guy is a MAJOR fashion shooter with an account like that. Anyway, I read in an interview with him in New York magazine that his cameras are Contax point and shoots — no model given. He uses their on camera flash, auto focus because he claims his eyesight is so poor, and shows up at a shoot in a hotel room with 4 or 5 of them stuffed in a knapsack. He shoots one while another is being reloaded by whomever else is in the room. Art directors come to the session and are appalled by the lack of technology in the room, then they see the proofs and are thrilled. So... this guy is making big bucks shooting Kate Moss with a point and shoot and I am making pennies shooting some kids with an Eos 3... doesn't info like this make one feel like a dick?

Tony Polson from usenet:

"No. I already learned, a very long time ago, that buying "better"
equipment did nothing for my photography.

I was given some training by a top UK press photographer, alas now dead,
who noted my shiny new Olympus OM-1, of which I was very proud. He
asked me what I had used before: a Zenit B, with M42 mount, no meter,
preset Russian 58mm f/2 lens and shutter speeds from 1/30 to 1/500.

He set me a task, which was to take photographs of a street in Liverpool
city centre (UK) to demonstrate what contribution the street made to the
city. He did the same. I used the OM-1 and 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko, he used
my "rejected" Zenit B. Needless to say, he got the better shots - by
far - with a camera that cost less than one fifth the price of the OM-1.

Later he taught me how to identify the shortcomings of my existing gear,
how to establish what I needed from a replacement item and how to decide
if a new item actually had what I needed. He then told me I must always
set myself new goals for what I would aim to achieve with the new gear,
and that if I didn't achieve them, I must return it or sell it.

Ever since then (early to mid-1970s), I have been able to state exactly
why I bought an item and whether it lived up to my expectations. I've
also avoided spending vast amounts of money on so-called "desirable"
items for which I really have no need.

It was great advice. "

gOOd ReaD ...

Kinda wierd, everytime i show ppl my photo work.
I usually heard remarks like "Wow! nice pictures, your camera must be fantastic!". Maybe I shall give them my gear to shoot a roll to see what happen.

It reminds me of a friend who has lot of passion in car. Ofcos being Singaporean, his experience is limited to Honda, Toyota etc. There was once he rent a Porche in Las Vegas and before he make it to the road, the car turned 3 rounds in the car park and nearly crash into the wall.

his name is Terry Richardson, not Tony... extremely well known in the fashion circles as a 'rebel/renegade' photog. he uses Contax PnS and Yashica PnS cams as welll...

one of my personal idols - i always use him as an example to show how as photogrs, we should stop being so fixated on what gear we use and how 'pro' they should be...

here's a thread i started some time ago about some inspiring photographers who uses very simple cameras.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=14701

Kamsia (10Q).

I cut this from the net and thanks for the info. ;)
I have a EOS50E plus 5 lens, I like it.

Recently I got a KIEV 4M and when out to take a roll and I realise I did not miss anything. It was so much fun and it's like when U need to get from point A to B for meeting, take a cab or drive your car. But if you like to enjoy a nice trip, cycle or walk. You get alot from it.

Without the use of meter + some thinking and observing light using f16 rules, I realise I do not need any light meter :D

I had 34 pictures taken, 2 empty becos I forgot to remove the len's cap from the rangefinder haha.

I'm looking for a fully manual SLR now that I can rely on and understand inside out so it become an extention to my eyes, forget abut battery and meter. Ofcos, that's my personal preference to enjoy the fun of picture making. To get job done, the EOS will be it for me too ;)

Good read... its really the guy behind the camera that is the creative element. I remember watching Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition on TV and one of the photogs was using just point and shoots while his counterparts were all toting SLRs. Wonder if that is the same guy.

Anyway, i started with a Yashica P&S and they actually make quite good cameras. :D

Zplus said:
Good read... its really the guy behind the camera that is the creative element. I remember watching Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition on TV and one of the photogs was using just point and shoots while his counterparts were all toting SLRs. Wonder if that is the same guy.

Anyway, i started with a Yashica P&S and they actually make quite good cameras. :D
yup, that's probably Terry Richardson. he does SI Swimsuit Edn regularly...

One point missing to me......how this Terry guy starts his photography? He been using PnS all the way or migrated from SLR to PnS?. There is one crucial thing if he migrated from SLR to PnS, he may capitalized his fame by became renegade. If all the way he using PnS until he gets very famous then he is a true maestro.

whoelse said:
Kinda wierd, everytime i show ppl my photo work.
I usually heard remarks like "Wow! nice pictures, your camera must be fantastic!". Maybe I shall give them my gear to shoot a roll to see what happen.

It reminds me of a friend who has lot of passion in car. Ofcos being Singaporean, his experience is limited to Honda, Toyota etc. There was once he rent a Porche in Las Vegas and before he make it to the road, the car turned 3 rounds in the car park and nearly crash into the wall.

hi there. Pretty gd read. But not many of us can do it consistently (i admit, sometimes i wish i had this lens etc etc) But of course, i managed to pull myself of this mirage! ;)

I also have friends who exclaim, 'wow! nice photo! from a digital camera? must be an expensive one!'.

After they said that, my favourite reply is..

'Try telling a chef: Wow! gd food! you must have used a very good wok and frying pan!'

I believe the analogy is of the same effect.

:blah: :p

Actually, a good wok and a strong fire/stove is very important, esp for Chinese food. Why do you think stir fried food tastes better in restaurants. :D

I'm not say that skills aren't important, but it is a combination of skill and equipment that gives you that final product.

BTW, a contax P&S cost just as much as a entry-level SLR with a standard zoom, and has almost all the same functions as well as a zeiss lens.

Wryer said:
hi there. Pretty gd read. But not many of us can do it consistently (i admit, sometimes i wish i had this lens etc etc) But of course, i managed to pull myself of this mirage! ;)

I also have friends who exclaim, 'wow! nice photo! from a digital camera? must be an expensive one!'.

After they said that, my favourite reply is..

'Try telling a chef: Wow! gd food! you must have used a very good wok and frying pan!'

I believe the analogy is of the same effect.

:blah: :p

shows that we should not concentrate on buying expensive equipment but rather shoot more...much more...

YuHsuan said:
Actually, a good wok and a strong fire/stove is very important, esp for Chinese food. Why do you think stir fried food tastes better in restaurants. :D

I'm not say that skills aren't important, but it is a combination of skill and equipment that gives you that final product.

BTW, a contax P&S cost just as much as a entry-level SLR with a standard zoom, and has almost all the same functions as well as a zeiss lens.

;p ;p
True though. Looks like i must find a better analogy! Haha..

yep, i still think skills is of ultimate importance..

No one can detach equipment from skills, its egg and chicken thingy.

Alrite, lets move on and get out and shoot!

(But i can't :cry: got exams!!)

"Tool" -- Yes, that is the key word.

Like a sharp knief, if you master it, it's a tool to display what one can do.
Otherwise, you might cut yourself, lose a finger etc. Better off get someone to cut for you and use something that you can hold well and cut well ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.