Photograhy hobbyists- which stage of the hobby are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky888

Deregistered
Jul 23, 2005
www.dogsforum.sg
This is meant to be a thread to share your experience and there shouldn't be any unhealthy debates.. it certainly is not a pessimistic perspective..

I was intending to pick up the knowledge of DSLRs and will be getting my first DSLR soon.. I am keen to try out the various effects it can produces, with the different combination of lens and etc and that is why I consider DSLR... but as a newbie, there has been a suggestion for me to try prosumer camera instead, as the opinion is that I may not necessary need a DSLR (or that I will not appreciate the level of functions found in DSLRs)..

I take this suggestion well and have been thinking much about it.. as much as I am sure that I am for DSLR now (have been using nikon F4 a decade back) and not a prosumer.. but I start to wonder, that as a hobbyist, whether if this high cost and non-profitable hobby will go that far for me... will I felt drain out of $$$ after 1-2 years, after the initial fever has died down and being stucked in that buy buy buy virus of DSLR hobbyists..

that brings me to ask fellow hobbyist (NOT professionals) about their own expereince and situation.. say you are one new hobbyist who spends $2-4k a year ago, got yourself nice lens and equipment, and proceed to go around shooting on every conceable subjects and later having done a few travel trips recently...

the questions are from random thoughts

1) do you think your passion has gone up, as compare about a year ago when you first started on the hobby, since you have pick up more knowledge and make more friends in the process?

2) Is the whole DSLR concept and lifestyle the same as you would have imagined when you first started off?

3) for both technology and the whole effort of going out to shoot... Is DSLR much easier (or tougher) thing to pick up than you would have imagine?

4) is it easy (or difficult) to mantain your lifestyle as a DSLR non-profit hobbyist photograher

5) are you stuff in that buy buy buy situation?

6) as a non-profit hobbyist photographer, how do you continue to fiance your hobby.

7) where do you see yourself, as far as this hobby is concerned, in 2-3 years to come..

(there is no need to put up an answer to each of my questions.. you may want to give a general broad reply that says something about your opinion on this hobby)

:)

If you used a Nikon F series camera before, I am assuming that you were keen back then, and like the full control at your finger tips, a prosumer will be a let down. This is a question of not if you need a DSLR, but rather, can you afford it and do you want it.

one more comment, who cares what happen in 2-3 years, you dropped the hobby then, and are not picking it up, right?

You are absolutely right, especially to the last part.. :)

my personal experience after this few years of shooting dslr....think maybe very opposite from the rest!

i found that the more i shoot, the less equipment i have! i sold my 12-24, 24-120, 24-85 .... and just got a 18-200 tamron. it is my PERSONAL hobby, for FUN, thus, quality of lens, lens distortion, etc, dun bother me. As i shoot more,I find that I just want to shoot for myself and have fun and enjoying more. I hate to change lens or bring 2 lens out. I just go out with 1 body 1 lens and enjoy. i think in the end i will also sell away spare body and flash. ha ha.

my end state next year, inside dry box: 1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash, 1 memory card :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:
i found that the more i shoot, the less equipment i have! i sold my 12-24, 24-120, 24-85 .... and just got a 18-200 tamron. it is my PERSONAL hobby, for FUN, thus, quality of lens, lens distortion, etc, dun bother me.
That's the spirit :bsmilie: , I do have several lens however just like you I always shoot with one lens, my trusted 50mm.

Well, I started out with a Nikon F65, after trying out my dad's and friends cameras (all different brands), as I like to photograph my travel. The F65 came with the 28-80 and 70-300 lens as a kit lens and offer of about $800. That was about a few years back. I pretty much stick to the lens and never find the need to get better equipment. Got myself a Coolpix 5700 last year to take photo of my daughter (born in Sep 04). CP5700 is quite a good camera, except for the manual focus and the delay shutter time. Got myself the D50 with kit lens 17-55mm recently, and using it together with the 70-300 mm lens too. also had to buy the SB800 to go with the D50. Sold off my CP5700, but kept my F65.Like the versatility of the DSLR and the Digital format is better for me, as I can keep and print out those I want to put in album, with the rest in my pc.

So basically I have kept my cost down by using what I have so far, as financing is through savings. Don't see that it would change in the near future. Photography is my interest and would likely remain so, although I don't think I am in the buy buy buy syndrome. I make do with what I have, buy what I need and try to improve my skills using my current system.

I'm in the cannot make it stage, every shot I take, sux :(

I started off with a film SLR - purely hobby - and moved on to DSLR. I started off with a entry-level Canon EOS 300 with 3 lenses: 24-135mm, 70-300mm and the trusty 50mm f/1.8. My interest kinda lowered after 1 year because of work committments and the high recurring cost in buying and developing the film.

However, after I got my DSLR, my interest went up again. Joining the different outings in CS helps in keeping that interest alive. :thumbsup: Being able to experiment with different settings and have immediately feedback is great for learning.

After I got my first SLR, the only additions really is a dry box, a flash and a tripod. These are essential since I often shoot events and I only can afford slow lenses. It's just about being able to control your spending and knowing what you need and maximising what you have.

My standard is far from what the masters here, but we're all here to learn!

Well said for all you who posted before me! :thumbsup: I do agree with all of you except espn whining about his shots sux which I find it hard to believe.

To answer your questions:

1) do you think your passion has gone up, as compare about a year ago when you first started on the hobby, since you have pick up more knowledge and make more friends in the process?

Passion going up or not depends truly on yourself. Nobody can help you on this and no one's opinion can and should influence your decision to pursue this hobby. For me, I love this hobby 16 years ago when I picked it up, and I still love it today.

2) Is the whole DSLR concept and lifestyle the same as you would have imagined when you first started off?

Well, I was truly a film guy shooting on slides 99% of the time when the first DSLR was launched. It was a "whopping" 1.2 megapixel back then. Many people go "wow that's what I want!" but I am not the least bit impressed. I waited until the first batch of amatuer 6mp camera came out before I started my purchase and had never looked back then.

3) for both technology and the whole effort of going out to shoot... Is DSLR much easier (or tougher) thing to pick up than you would have imagine?

Well, if you have never handled a DSLR before, it might seem a little complicating and challenging if you have been comparing it to the F4 which you used. It might take you a while to get yourself familiarised with the system but once you are in it, it should be easy. The best is having to shoot in different ISO without having to change films. If you love travel, this is probably good as you are not required to carry boxes after boxes of different films.

4) is it easy (or difficult) to mantain your lifestyle as a DSLR non-profit hobbyist photograher

I presume when you say maintain my lifestyle as a DSLR non-profit hobbyist you are referring to cost involved in maintaining the lifestyle? Fret not, DSLR may be expensive to start with but they save you in terms of film cost. What's more, you can shoot till the "cows come home" and not worry about processing fees.

5) are you stuff in that buy buy buy situation?

I would say, unless you are rich stick with what you can afford. An entry level DSLR today is so much better than what you get a few years back. A Canon 350D, Nikon D50 will set you in that S$1K plus budget but that should be it unless you WANT to buy new stuff. I stress the word WANT because many people don't really need but they want to buy new stuff. You know, like added on accessories? Many got new lenses but it end up sitting in the dry cabin.

6) as a non-profit hobbyist photographer, how do you continue to fiance your hobby.

Isn't it obvious? You either work your a** out if you are poor or you do freelance jobs out of your own equipments.

7) where do you see yourself, as far as this hobby is concerned, in 2-3 years to come..

What a question! Do you intend to take up a hobby and give it up 2-3 years later? Then don't take it up. That's my advise to you. Spend the money on some humanitarian fund and let it not go to waste.

In conclusion, I would say that although I am a professional photographer but I too started off as a hobbyist like many of you here in CS. Ask yourself what you want to achieve in your hobby as nobody can answer that question for you. Do you intend to just shoot birthday snapshots? Do you intend to do something avant garde ? Or do you want to one day be another great photographer? These questions are for you to answer and like I say above, no one's opinion can and should be used as an influence on you. I was once told by my relatives and friends long ago that I would not carry on my hobby in photography for long but I have proven them wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.