Photoediting with onboard videocard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Hi Guys,

Will it be faster if I use a dedicated videocard for photo editing compared to using an onboard videocard?

I'm using XP with 3GB of RAM, if I upgrade another 1 GB making it 4GB, will it makes a difference since XP only recongnise up to 3GB of RAM?

TIA!

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Hi Guys,

Will it be faster if I use a dedicated videocard for photo editing compared to using an onboard videocard?

I'm using XP with 3GB of RAM, if I upgrade another 1 GB making it 4GB, will it makes a difference since XP only recongnise up to 3GB of RAM?

TIA!
A dedicated video card would not help much in photo editing. It may help you with the framerate if you're doing video or CAD.

What's the use of putting in more memory when you already know WinXP can only address up to 3Gb? Moreover, you'll need to make sure your m/b supports it.

theRBK

May 16, 2005
video card at the moment will not help significantly...

actually, WinXP will recognise 4GB but knock the top off for its own use... but it does that too for 3GB or 2GB as well... so it should help to have 4GB... :)

one thing though... how is the 3GB in the system divided into memory modules?... is it 1GB + 1GB + 1GB, or 1GB + 1GB + 512MB + 512MB?... if in the former, adding another 1GB could activate (provided modules are similar enough) dual channel memory access and improve speeds... but like lsisaxon says, m/b need to be able to accept 4GB... most if not all relatively recent boards should but sometimes you do have to activate it through bios (you should see ~4GB in your boot sequence memory test)... for my own ~4yr old m/b, I actually had to dig into the hidden advanced settings in the bios to activate it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom