Photobooth with live tethering setup

aftercrasher

Aug 21, 2012
Singapore
Hi Guys. I am planning to set up a photobooth with live preview feature for a family eventthat I will have but I have run into some problem and will need your advise.

I am using a D90/D7000, I plan to place it on a tripod, so people can self service the camera to take their own photos.
At the same time, I would like to display the image on an iPad/monitor so that they can see the outcome of the photos immediately.

How can I set that up? I tried going through a camera connection kit to the iPad but it does not work, Nikon has removed the USB->Mass storage function.

There are some talks of going through an eye-fi card and have it tether over wirelessly?

I have got 2 weeks to plan for this so any input is greatly appreciated.

It would be more cost effective to hire a team of professionals to do it.

I think I have 2 solutions on hand.

One requires a laptop - Tethering my shots via lightroom and have it display my shots.
Another is by using a Toshiba/Eye-fi wifi SD card, and immediately sending the photos over to the tablet.

Method 1 seems a bit of a hassle with the license purchase for lightroom, the 2nd one seems more viable although I'm not sure how reliable is the wifi connection via the SD card and tablet.

Keep it simple,

don't let them review the photos there and than, it will only slow down the workflow and build a long queue.
get a compact or mirror or dslr with wifi function, all the photos taken will be upload to dropbox and all your relatives are free to download from there.

if they are not comfortable of others might download their photos, than just use their own phone to take selfie.