Photoaccute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing.
Interesting stuff.

Creating details where there was none and reducing noise at the same time with PhotoAcute...

This shot was taken with the Casio EX-F1 at ISO 800 in burst mode at 30 fps...

103259859.jpg

10 of the frames were then combined in PhotoAcute to increase it's resolution 2X cleaning up the noise at the same time and this is the result (scaled down for posting)

103259860.jpg

The increased resolution may not be obvious in this scaled down image but the noise reduction certainly was.

To see the increase in resolution (and noise reduction), compare the 100% 'before' and 'after' ...

'Before'
103259861.jpg

'After'
103259862.jpg

Nice! Very tempted to get the program now.

PhotoAcute can be used to remove high ISO noise and yet improve details at the same time. This is not possible with the usual noise reduction software as they usually cause details to be blurred as a result.

The example here is obtained by shooting the Olympus E3 at ISO 3200. Everybody knows that Olympus' high ISO performance is not as good as other brands of DSLRs and users normally would not shoot at ISO 3200 unless their life depended on it.

This is ISO 3200 image before PhotoAcute is applied.
103373747.jpg

This is the resulting image when PhotoAcute is used to remove the high ISO noise.
103373749.jpg

Not very obvious when comparing the down-sized images?

This is the 100% crop of the original image before PhotoAcute
103373751.jpg

This is the 100% crop after PhotoAcute is applied
103373752.jpg

Check out the difference in the noise level and especially check out difference in clarity in the fine text.;)

Check out the amount of cat fur!! hahahaha!

Waiting for approval from the UK Safari Group then I'll get it. There is enough examples from you and DPreview to convince me to get it. Amazing piece of software.

Do you have to take multiple shots of the same subject for it to work?

Yes. That's how the software work. But you can do it handheld. No need to use a tripod.

Last edited:
Thanks, so does that mean there shouldn't be any subject or camera movement at all in the series of photos in order to achieve good results with it?

Seems quite difficult to me:think:

I think its primarily used for macros or photos where you need really good detail. Certainly not for every application unless you have a camera that can do really quick bursts.

It is best to have as little movement of the subject as possible but if there are movements, then the software takes the moving objects from the first frame while working its magic on the rest of the stationary parts of the images so that it would not result in blurred objects in the merged image.

See examples here:
http://photoacute.com/studio/examples/3yes/index.html

There are similar constraints in other software that work by stacking images too eg HDR software.

It is not really difficult to use even for subjects that might move... just shoot in continuous mode to get a few frames a second... like in my cat shot.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417621

Then again there is a feature that I would really like to put to good use and that is removing offending objects from sceneries like in this example...
http://photoacute.com/studio/examples/sandsculpture/index.html

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies, seems like an interesting software.

Status
Not open for further replies.