Photo with White Border nice?

Do you add white border on your 4R?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbyte77

Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
I like my photos without borders but everytime I go to KT lab for printing, I'm asked if I want borders with it. Now I'm doubting my taste.

Does having white border in 4R photos nicer? Does it cost more to add the border or same price? I know its a subjective issue but just wanna see what is more popular...

dawgbyte77 said:
I like my photos without borders but everytime I go to KT lab for printing, I'm asked if I want borders with it. Now I'm doubting my taste.

Does having white border in 4R photos nicer? Does it cost more to add the border or same price? I know its a subjective issue but just wanna see what is more popular...
4R white borders go well with black pockets page....

It depends on the album layout. If it's just 1-2 photos per page (especially those albums with black pages), then it's ok. If it's 3 or 4 per page, which makes for up to 8 pics when 2 pages are spread out, then the white borders would look distracting.

dawgbyte77 said:

I like the photos with white borders. Why not you try printing a few with white borders to see if you like them? It does give a feel of a postcard :)

Hmm... oks... will try.. thanks for the comments, especially the 8pix-2pages... will experiment on that. "D

Depends on your design, it can look nice with and without borders :)

dawgbyte77 said:
Does it cost more to add the border or same price?
i think that they charge like 5cents per print to put the border on for you, but you can always (batch) PS the border on yourself to save the 5cents!! :sweat:

Cactus jACK said:
i think that they charge like 5cents per print to put the border on for you, but you can always (batch) PS the border on yourself to save the 5cents!! :sweat:
No extra charge at KT with or without borders. They even have different size borders.

At one time I did my own borders but somehow when printed it did not come out precise even though I followed strictly with the size and pixels, so there is a risk doing the borders on PS, so I try not to do this anymore and let the printer set the borders or no borders depending on what my likes are that day.

../azul123

Cactus jACK said:

Try that.
Not accurate, have to try many test print to get it perfect, unless you want a super thick border like 7mm and above, btw, all your print you sent should only need minor adjustment, if not, the borders will not be pure white, or else you may try black borders.

Anyway, Is not that I want to save the money, just want to help my couples to save in future, so in the end..... better pay the xtra for the borders lar.

catchlights said:
Try that.
Not accurate, have to try many test print to get it perfect, unless you want a super thick border like 7mm and above, btw, all your print you sent should only need minor adjustment, if not, the borders will not be pure white, or else you may try black borders.

Anyway, Is not that I want to save the money, just want to help my couples to save in future, so in the end..... better pay the xtra for the borders lar.

Thanks. I notice as well that 5x7 doesn't always come out exact size... so far I'm happy with KT size... the one I tried in Tampines came out like 4.9 x 6.9... but I also added a thick border (like 1") and it ended up thicker on one side. I never tried asking printshop to border for me because I'm a bit kiasu when it comes to control with my photos but I'll try with KT on my next batch. :thumbsup:

azul123 said:
At one time I did my own borders but somehow when printed it did not come out precise even though I followed strictly with the size and pixels, so there is a risk doing the borders on PS, so I try not to do this anymore and let the printer set the borders or no borders depending on what my likes are that day.
catchlights said:
yes... yes!! tried on home print with pretty bad results, pictures went all over the place!! like azul123, kept strictly to the dimensions, but when i sent in to photolab, the borders were wider at the sides (not sure what went wrong)!!

looks like bottomline, if the borders are free, let the lab do them!! :thumbsup:

(but i'll still ps white borders in to share online) :bsmilie:

Cactus jACK said:
yes... yes!! tried on home print with pretty bad results, pictures went all over the place!! like azul123, kept strictly to the dimensions, but when i sent in to photolab, the borders were wider at the sides (not sure what went wrong)!!

looks like bottomline, if the borders are free, let the lab do them!! :thumbsup:

(but i'll still ps white borders in to share online) :bsmilie:
All my prints are done by Fuji lab, you have tell them fit in or fill in, but fill in is default, so I done some calculations, for fill in, it print only about 98.5%, 1.5% will be crop off. Then I add in borders on top the 1.5%, but not always perfect. So I don't do it anymore.

If you PS borders and send for print, it only works on one size, not practical at all, if for web use of course no problem.

catchlights said:
All my prints are done by Fuji lab, you have tell them fit in or fill in, but fill in is default, so I done some calculations, for fill in, it print only about 98.5%, 1.5% will be crop off. Then I add in borders on top the 1.5%, but not always perfect. So I don't do it anymore.

If you PS borders and send for print, it only works on one size, not practical at all, if for web use of course no problem.

Just to point out, I tried 2 Fuji lab (same price, 4R). One is yellowish and one is good white. One is 5x7 and one is not exact cut. Bottom line, operator also make a difference.

dawgbyte77 said:
Just to point out, I tried 2 Fuji lab (same price, 4R). One is yellowish and one is good white. One is 5x7 and one is not exact cut. Bottom line, operator also make a difference.
Are you talking about borders? Default borders or DIY borders?

Paper different batch also have slights color different, how about the strength of the chemical? What about the age of the laser lens?

So even the prints from a same file you get from two different Fuji labs with same NNNN behind also will not be 100% same.

How come a same D70 with same lens, why the pictures from different photographers are so different? :bsmilie: Anyway, the operator is not part of a machine, is a real human.

catchlights said:
Are you talking about borders? Default borders or DIY borders?

Paper different batch also have slights color different, how about the strength of the chemical? What about the age of the laser lens?

So even the prints from a same file you get from two different Fuji labs with same NNNN behind also will not be 100% same.

How come a same D70 with same lens, why the pictures from different photographers are so different? :bsmilie: Anyway, the operator is not part of a machine, is a real human.

Yeah. Border and photo itself have different color. I guess developing is not 100% mathematically exact. The yellowish is done by an uncle whos shop is next to coffeeshop... maybe the heat n smoke affects the color as well? Since his shop is a small one with counter-top and smoke do flow in and out of that place. :sweatsm:

Btw, anyone can try this test: use a same file, ask 1 print in 3R or 5R, another is in 4R, no color and density correction or same correction, the print out result will be different, why? It because 3R/5R and 4R are using different size of paper, so is not the same roll of paper.

catchlights said:
Btw, anyone can try this test: use a same file, ask 1 print in 3R or 5R, another is in 4R, no color and density correction or same correction, the print out result will be different, why? It because 3R/5R and 4R are using different size of paper, so is not the same roll of paper.

Hmm... I did a test enlarging the same photo 5R, 6R, 8R, 10R, 12R. I know that based on the pixel (3000x2000), 10R & 12R is interpolated so color do vary and noise is very apparent... I didn't check the color for the smaller pix... I check later as well. But you're right, the watermark at the back is different. 4R Fuji is light and small, 5R is quite bigger. So definitely different batches.

azul123 said:
No extra charge at KT with or without borders. They even have different size borders.

../azul123
I work at a lab, so I guess I can explain how to do this.

Crop image 3.75x5.75...........Canvas to 4x6 with the color of your choice.

generally with boder looks better(or more professional...)
but i prefer simple borders(as well as simple signatures).
some 'complex' borders/signatures are too attracting, that either make the photo content less sensitive or give negative impressions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.