Photo viewer/HDD storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks :thumbsup: , I wouldn't mind purchasing one for myself.
It can serve other functions other than as portable HDD exclusively! :D

A few points :
1) It does come in the 30Gb version too.
2) Does the pic viewer support the RAW format of the D200?
3) Can the batt be replaced? As stated that it can be charged approx. 500 times.
What happens once the batt dies? :cry:
4) Lastly, what is the transfer rate of 1Gb from CFII card? :dunno:

Hi,
I have personally went down to the agent and try on the device, it's cool and the staff there provide good service. The 1st patch of the stock have sold out and I'm waiting for the new stock to come in, going to get one.

Have check with the agent regarding your question.

I am sorry VP8350 goes with 20GB only no 30GB HDD at the moment

VP8350 don't support the D200 at the moment. However, if you are willing to send the file for D200 for their engineer's reference, they will try to support it in future firmware version.

3) Can the batt be replaced? As stated that it can be charged approx. 500 times.
What happens once the batt dies?
Basically, all the batteries have the same situation. They do offer the spare battery if customers need it. You of course can replace a new one when the battery is dead.

4) Lastly, what is the transfer rate of 1Gb from CFII card?
According to their engineer, the transfer rate of 1G SanDisk CF ex.lll is around 2.6~3.2 minutes. Besides, the transfer rate is subject to the brand, type, files and environment etc.

Hope the answer is useful to you.
Regards

chickenrat said:
Hi,
I have personally went down to the agent and try on the device, it's cool and the staff there provide good service. The 1st patch of the stock have sold out and I'm waiting for the new stock to come in, going to get one.

Have check with the agent regarding your question.

I am sorry VP8350 goes with 20GB only no 30GB HDD at the moment

VP8350 don't support the D200 at the moment. However, if you are willing to send the file for D200 for their engineer's reference, they will try to support it in future firmware version.

What happens once the batt dies?
Basically, all the batteries have the same situation. They do offer the spare battery if customers need it. You of course can replace a new one when the battery is dead.

4) Lastly, what is the transfer rate of 1Gb from CFII card?
According to their engineer, the transfer rate of 1G SanDisk CF ex.lll is around 2.6~3.2 minutes. Besides, the transfer rate is subject to the brand, type, files and environment etc.

Hope the answer is useful to you.
Regards

:thumbsup:
MTL! ON! Let me know when the MO is sarting. Interested. ;p THNAKS! :D

Any one have any experience on Epson P2000 on the battery life, transfer speed ? Think of getting it for me overseas trip coming 13 Jan ;)

the resolution is 240 by 320. That is a bit low for a photoviewer. I used the P2000. Battery life is ok. You usually transfer pic in the hotel anyway. For casual viewing the battery life is more than enough.

The user interface is quite clunky though and don't really support raw. That is why I upgraded to the sony U8G.

I think the sony U8G is the BEST photoviewer around. It is only a little bit heavier than the P200 at 550g. Better resolution at 600 by 800. Touch screen. Best of all, it runs windows XP :)

but battery life sucks big time. 2 hours max... but ok as hotel entertainment during my travels.

hi wind30, thx for the info...infact P2000 support the raw that i'll be using. and sony is too expensive for me : ) tried out EP2000 at CP this evening and i love the LCD image quality;p. will make my decision by Wednesday.

did any1 consider creative zen vision? it has got fantastic screen...

hagenuk said:
hi wind30, thx for the info...infact P2000 support the raw that i'll be using. and sony is too expensive for me : ) tried out EP2000 at CP this evening and i love the LCD image quality;p. will make my decision by Wednesday.

did you check whether you can zoom in the RAW files? For my minolta 7D, I can view a LOW RES version of the RAW file but CANNOT zoom. Which makes it kind of redundant as you cannot evaluate the picture sharpness at all.

If the P2000 has full RAW support, ie full resolution with zooming, I don't really mind it. What is the point of the fantastic screen if you are limited to a low res thumbnail of your RAW file.

Anyone here uses Creative zen vision? It has a CF slot. I would like to get for this purpose, also an all in one music, video player...

I just got me the Vosonic VP8350... very small indeed when compared to the Epson, it cannot read D200 NEF, but the nice owner said that they will send me the updates when it's ready... decided to get it anyway.

../azul123

wind30 said:
did you check whether you can zoom in the RAW files? For my minolta 7D, I can view a LOW RES version of the RAW file but CANNOT zoom. Which makes it kind of redundant as you cannot evaluate the picture sharpness at all.

If the P2000 has full RAW support, ie full resolution with zooming, I don't really mind it. What is the point of the fantastic screen if you are limited to a low res thumbnail of your RAW file.

Epson P2000 does allow viewing of 20D RAW(but not low res as you mentioned), except that zooming is not allow.

Btw, I paid RM3350 in China, that about S$680 ;)

I was looking for a viewer/HDD storage device for some time but find the offerings in the market a rather costly affair... I guess I took a step back and asked myself what really is the most important function? To me, it's the ability to store lots of pics when I travel; not so much to view. And the most suitable product in the market would be an external HDD with card readers. I bought one for $240 from Sim Lim and has served me well so far.... comes with 60 GB; compatible with CF, xD, SD etc etc, but other than that, absolutely basic no frills model. Though made in China, feels quite well built. Really, $240 for 60GB is good value considering for that amount of money, you can only buy 2 X 1G CF cards.

Just 2 cents worth.

Red-I said:
I was looking for a viewer/HDD storage device for some time but find the offerings in the market a rather costly affair... I guess I took a step back and asked myself what really is the most important function? To me, it's the ability to store lots of pics when I travel; not so much to view. And the most suitable product in the market would be an external HDD with card readers. I bought one for $240 from Sim Lim and has served me well so far.... comes with 60 GB; compatible with CF, xD, SD etc etc, but other than that, absolutely basic no frills model. Though made in China, feels quite well built. Really, $240 for 60GB is good value considering for that amount of money, you can only buy 2 X 1G CF cards.

Just 2 cents worth.
That's really good value for money, my requirement was for a small portable HDD/Storage can view RAW better still. So far in the market not many with ability to view RAW files, but equally important to me was the small size that can fit into my jacket.

Anyway, these viewers are not just storing and viewing, can plug to TV/DVD and record, got other functions which I didn't really bother to find out, oh yeah got radio also :sweatsm:

Down side is the HDD size, only 20Gb but the intend was to temporary store the files and I guess if I shoot RAW.. it will probably last me a couple of days before I need to upload to the permanent storage, which makes it excellent for travel purposes.

../azul123

i am still hoping to find one that is light & compact, good resolution, able to zoom in on raw, good transfer rate, use AA batteries with charging function, picture management & replacement harddisk. anyone know where to find one? :D

anyone heard of or had any experience with Archos Gmini 500 Pocket Multimedia Center 40 GB Hard Drive & 4" LCD Screen?

Red-I said:

Just 2 cents worth.

same here. have been looking at so many models over with time, but never really find that the market is offering anything that have a fair price for its function.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=172749

to be able to view is good, but if the viewing screen is not much bigger than that of the camera, than the purpose is not there.

Photoviewer/HDDs of today do not have the processing power or firmware to view the actual RAW files...they can only read the attached Jpg thumbnail... what RAW support they claim just means they can extract the thumbnail and display it on the screen... note, this is the thumbnail attached to the RAW file and not a seperate full sized Jpg file of the image that can be saved in parallel to the RAW file by some cameras... which is why I invested in a PD70X...at least it has a system that verifies the integrity of the copied file...

Red-I said:

Just 2 cents worth.

hi, which shop is this? and any AA battery slots?
PM me if not convenient
thanx

East Gear is on 2nd floor of Peninsular Plaza ... battery is internal and not AA kind ... lasts about 2 hrs but I think each transfer of a 512 card is about 15 mins, so you can transfer 8 times before the juice runs dry ...

Status
Not open for further replies.