Photo Trip: Borneo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ling Nightsky

Mar 23, 2002
Heaven on Earth
h-y-p-h-e-n-s.net
I am planning to travel to Sarawak Borneo and possibly Sabah too for a week in early Feb. ( most probably the first week of Feb after CNY ). My main interest is nature and wildlife esp orangutans and possibly Mt Kinabalu.

Was wondering anyone has been there before? any advice for a female traveller?
And anyone interested to travel with me?

Climbed in August this year. Go for it! Won't regret.....
Leave the tripod at home. You won't use it......

Silkair flies from 12 Dec 2005. $188 return ticket. Check it out in today's paper.

More Mt Kinabalu pics

PICT2982.jpg

PICT2908.jpg

PICT2995.jpg

PICT3012.jpg

PICT2968.jpg

Hi,
I never been to Sarawak/Sabah truly by myself. But I have info from my friends living nearby there that maybe I can share with you.
It will be good if you can do some research on the area(s) where you intend to travel, be it for photography or merely touring. It will not be wise to travel alone, especially lady, and to big nature areas in Sarawak/Sabah without a guide. You'll get lost in there. Local tribes, such as Head Hunter Tribes, do exists in parts of the forest in Sarawak/Sabah, so does other local tribes which are not known to our civilisation world.

I actually intending to go for Mt Kinabalu next yr Mar to take photos. You are welcome to join us if you couldn't find anyone. Cheers! ;)

My pleasure!

Do note the people in Sabah are very friendly till they strip to pose for you!
PICT3070.jpg

What you can shoot in Kota Kinabalu beside Nature:

PICT3056.jpg

P1000498.jpg

P1000519.jpg

P1020009.jpg

Ling Nightsky said:
I am planning to travel to Sarawak Borneo and possibly Sabah too for a week in early Feb. ( most probably the first week of Feb after CNY ). My main interest is nature and wildlife esp orangutans and possibly Mt Kinabalu.

I would be keen for a Mt Kinabalu trip, and perhaps including the Mulu area as well.

great! will keep you posted! I may be going on a Jan trip to Sarawak first and then a March trip to Sabah.

oh, might be meeting up with fellow Clubsnapper, "Kuching" over in sarawak too!

Mt Kinabalu national park would be ok for a female traveller. However, it is advisable to have a travel companion.

Wildlife photography in natural surrounding is not easy unless you go to Sepilok (orang utan sanctuary) in Sandakan or Danum Valley Conservation Area (wild boars, deers, etc). For hardcore nature, you can try Maliau Basin where jungle trekking is the name of the game.

Chances of getting lost in Sabah/Sarawak is quite low unless you go off the beaten track.

Tentatively, I'll be going to Sarawak on the 21st - ard 25th Jan 2006

Highlights of the trip will be:
Mulu National Park
Semenggok Orang Utan
http://www.visitborneo.com/sarawak_wildlife.htm

most probably will meet up with fellow Clubsnapper "Kuching" on sat or sun if he's free.

Bus from SG - KL

Flight: Air Asia
KL - Miri - KL
Price: RM39.98 round trip + RM 80 tax per person = RM 119.98 = SGD 54

Pls let me know if you are interested by 30th Nov ( Wed ) , will discuss the itinerary and accom further.

and for those interested in the March trip to Mt Kinabalu and sabah area, pls let me know asap too.
thanx!

thomas_lkt said:
Mt Kinabalu national park would be ok for a female traveller. However, it is advisable to have a travel companion.

Wildlife photography in natural surrounding is not easy unless you go to Sepilok (orang utan sanctuary) in Sandakan or Danum Valley Conservation Area (wild boars, deers, etc). For hardcore nature, you can try Maliau Basin where jungle trekking is the name of the game.

Chances of getting lost in Sabah/Sarawak is quite low unless you go off the beaten track.

Danum Valley Conservation Area looks like a great place! thanx for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

Hi Guys

Just wondering, wat wud be e budget for the whole trip? Example 1 wk in sabah n climb up KK. How many days u require to climb up KK and how many days wud be just nice to R&R in sabah.

Been wanting to do tat, but so far havent find enuff kaki to go up.

Ling Nightsky said:
Danum Valley Conservation Area looks like a great place! thanx for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

Danum Valley and Sukau (probocis monkeys) are quite near to each other. Located near Lahad Datu. It is advisable to get all you arrangements done before going over to Sabah. Chances are that you may not be able to drive due to unfamiliarity with the roads there. And to visit these places, you'll probably need 4WD vehicles (rental rates approx. MYR500+/day).

AdyH said:
Hi Guys

Just wondering, wat wud be e budget for the whole trip? Example 1 wk in sabah n climb up KK. How many days u require to climb up KK and how many days wud be just nice to R&R in sabah.

Been wanting to do tat, but so far havent find enuff kaki to go up.

To climb Mount Kinabalu, you'll need a minimum of 2 days.

LifeWorld: Me feel homesick after seeing your photos.

Ling Nightsky: For safety reason, it is better to travel with partners rather than alone, especially for female traveler. If you plan to move around in a rented car, try to get a 4WD, either Toyota or Nissan. For some part of East Malaysia, electricity supply may not be 24hrs, so take note.

Try to drink from bottled water if possible, b'cos being a tourist, your body may not be able to adapt to their local water.

Don't forget to have lots of fun.

BTW, I may be going there in Feb/Mar 06 for Mt K.

Ling Nightsky said:

seem interesting. but do i have to get committed to the decision so early?
i need to get my gf's consent and also may be planning to go with her to hokkaido in early feb to catch the sapporo snow festival.

my interest is in grade 1-2 trekking, in-depth backpacking traveling and photography
photography type prefers landscape, architecture and anything scenic or culturally exotic.
newbie with photography.

have backpacked in nepal, scotland, finland, taiwan and japan, and still wanting more. but difficulty also in getting companions for travel as my friends are either working or prefer going with their bf/gf/fiance/wife/husband etc... and my gf not the type for trekking nor photography. for her it is more like ...... HK.... sleep late, eat and shop

anyway, if got update, share with me too....
for travelling, best to get in groups of 4. cheaper for accomdation and cab.

AdyH: budget wise should be well below 600 i think? it's just a rough estimate coz haven't account for the number of people going and the accom and such. If we can get ard 4 people to go, then surely the budget would be able to go lower.

Jeff: March 06! you going with a group already? wanna join us?

Zoossh: The trip will be in March, so best if can confirm by early Jan. Have to plan out the itinerary.

The March trip to Mt KK in Sabah will be mostly nature and wildlfe. Will be going to Mt KK, the Sepilok orangutan rehab center and explore the national parks...
The whole trip should be about 5-6 days.

anyway, contact me at pixelsense@gmail.com for those who are interested. thanx!!!

Ling Nightsky said:
AdyH: budget wise should be well below 600 i think? it's just a rough estimate coz haven't account for the number of people going and the accom and such. If we can get ard 4 people to go, then surely the budget would be able to go lower.

Jeff: March 06! you going with a group already? wanna join us?

Zoossh: The trip will be in March, so best if can confirm by early Jan. Have to plan out the itinerary.

The March trip to Mt KK in Sabah will be mostly nature and wildlfe. Will be going to Mt KK, the Sepilok orangutan rehab center and explore the national parks...
The whole trip should be about 5-6 days.

anyway, contact me at pixelsense@gmail.com for those who are interested. thanx!!!

i just need sometime to talk to my gf. best if you can get another guy or girl, if not my gf may skin me if i suggest to her i'm going with another girl alone. if can get her to agree, i will get a lonely planet and starts planning....

anyway check out weather in borneo. gd to go in march (best in late march from the 25th onwards).

"Two main seasons are experienced in Borneo, a rainy season and a dry. The rainy season generally lasts from October to February while the drier, cooler period spans from March/April to September. Anyone travelling in any part of Borneo should be aware, however, that rain still does fall frequently even during the ‘dry season’ and visitors should pack good quality wet-weather gear. The best time to visit Borneo is between March and September when less constant rain is likely, although this is far from guaranteed.

It is generally hot in Borneo all year round with temperatures rarely falling below 20 degrees Celsius. For this reason travellers can pack reasonably lightly; however, the exception to this is for those visiting Mount Kinabalu. The peak of Mount Kinabalu is 4,101 metres high and, due to this elevation, both very wet and very cold conditions can be experienced. Subsequently, visitors to the mountain's peak should pack wet-weather gear as well as warmer clothing, including thermal underwear, warm pants, woolen or polar fleece hat and gloves, woolen jumpers or a polar fleece top. Even at the base of the mountain the conditions are cool during the day and cold at night."

sounds very interesting liao ...

but wat's the plan like so far? goin in feb as originally planned by Ling or early march by the rest?

If in March me very interested but need to check work schedule n stuff. Tink shd be ok.

Zoosh: as we get older such things cant be avoided where people wanna go travel with bf/gf/fiancee/wife .. blah ... blah. If can just find one kaki as travel buddy consider urself lucky. Anyway wat's ur plan like for the next trip beside sabah?

Status
Not open for further replies.