Photo Trip: Borneo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ling Nightsky said:
oh, heard about the new species too... hope we can find it!!!!

hmmm, what about Insights Guide or Everyman?

will check it out...

Am so very keen on climbing Mt Kinabalu in the 3rd week of Feb.....dont mind if I just ask if its possible for a person whos afraid of heights to climb Kinabalu? My height phobia is the sort where if I have a sharp cliff just beside me I will freak out...from pictures I saw from the Kinabalu treks especially those near the summit it seems like its generally a slope upwards....I m ok with these though.....

Hi :)

I went Sabah 2 times last year. Once to climb Mt KK.
If you plan to go in march, better to book the tickets for Mt KK now or soon, coz it is always fully booked.
I do not know if anybody mentioned this, there are 2 paths up to Laban Rata (hotel before morning climb to summit), one is Kinabalu park trail and the other one is Messilau trail. Messilau trail is much harder to climb as it goes up and then all the way down, then up then down, but the screnery on this trail is suberb :) kinabalu trail is much easier to climb but the scerenery is quite limitted. for me i went up through messilau trail and down via kinabalu trail.
Few things to bring for climbing:
1. Rain-coat or Poncho (it always rains)
2. Chocolates for energy when climbing (coz no time to eat on the way up to Laban Rata)
3. Large water bottle if by Messilau trail, coz only one water point for the first 6km till meet up with Kinabalu park trail, then 2 more water points before Laban rata. For kinabalu trail there are lots of water points.
4. Mucles spray. Spray on your thighs and calfs as and whenever possible.
5. Touch light with head band, to wear on your head.
6. Non-slipperly shoes (soccer boots also can or can get the "Kampong Addidas" in KK city itself)
7. Spend money on the porter, coz it will be much more relaxing, and you can take more photos.
8. extra batt for camera, some cameras faced problem when up on the summit, coz too cold and batt drain fast. Keep extra Batt warm.
9. Oh yah, bring one thick jacket. Coz when climbing up summit or up summit, temp can reach 0C...

There are alot more things, but what i list are some v important things...

Also if you have time, do go to one of the islands there. I went to Gaya island and the sunrise there is :thumbsup:

boroangel said:
Am so very keen on climbing Mt Kinabalu in the 3rd week of Feb.....dont mind if I just ask if its possible for a person whos afraid of heights to climb Kinabalu? My height phobia is the sort where if I have a sharp cliff just beside me I will freak out...from pictures I saw from the Kinabalu treks especially those near the summit it seems like its generally a slope upwards....I m ok with these though.....

actually there is only one part of the climb where you are by the cliff. and that is in the early morning (2am - 3am) climb to the summit from the midway hotel laban rata) But there are ropes to help and so is quite ok. when going up as it is dark, you cant really see that it is cliff. Only when coming down when the sun us up, then you see the places that you passby when coming up :sweat: :sweat:

oh boy.. i miss sabah.... its been awhile since i was there.... climbed the mount kinabalu.... and had some snookling and river rafting... its really a very nice place.

thanx so much CLQ! i've already got most of the things you mentioned.
Actually i'm thinking of just bringing the windbreaker... and then pile up a few layer of fleece inside, haha...
so how was the climb? was it very tedious? leg still able to walk after getting down the mt? haha

wow....sound an interesting trip~!

will it be too late to join?

GOMUS; plainsunset.

pls check your pm.

scratcher said:
hey if you want anymore ideas on sabah check out the latest photovideoi it has an article on shooting in sabah

is that a magazine?

sorry, me newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.