Photo-taking assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

acky86

Oct 4, 2007
Hi!!!
I'm a student taking a photography course in uni.
I've just received an assignment which requires us to take 2 sets of photos based on the theme "Unique Singapore" and "Green Environment".
As I'm a foreign student, I am not familiar with many places in Singapore. Do you have any good recommendation where can I take photos with the theme "Unique Singapore"?

By the way, we are asked to take 2 photos of the same scene and show that how by controlling the depth of field we can control the unwanted and distracting background. Thanks!!!;)

hey buddy...am from the same class...are u using a SLR camera?...i am looking fr someone with SLR camera for this project...actually I have done similar project before with school of ADM...but tat time school gave camera...anyways if u have one...we can maybe do the project together!...ciao...do reply..

Deepak

Hi!!!
I've just received an assignment which requires us to take 2 sets of photos based on the theme "Unique Singapore" and "Green Environment".
As I'm a foreign student, I am not familiar with many places in Singapore. Do you have any good recommendation where can I take photos with the theme "Unique Singapore"?

By the way, we are asked to take 2 photos of the same scene and show that how by controlling the depth of field we can control the unwanted and distracting background. Thanks!!!;)

Well, for the 2 photos bit, you'd do well with a small aperture shot and a large aperture shot, the large aperture shot will obscure the background by means of bokeh, do note that the focal point should be close to you as well to achieve such an effect.

As for Unique Singapore, try the old cultural areas like Chinatown, Little India and Geylang Serai, etc...

St. Andrew's Catheral, Chijmes, Victorial Threatre, Supreme Court, Padang, Sentosa, Orchard Road, Esplanade.

Wah.. now uni oso got photography course ah? is it degree course?

We this type bo tak cheh and self taught photog next time how to fight?
I dun even know the formulae to calculate DOF, or can't even design a lens construction... sigh :dunno:

You all graduate next time must go design a 17-70 f1.8L IS (VR) that weighs below 1-ton lens ok?

As for "Uniquely Singapore", I'll not go for the usual STPB themes. Rather to capture the life of the true Singaporeans - like having lavish seafood meals, queuing for TOTO, ah pek in singlet sitting at coffeeshops, etc... but may want to leave out the chio china girl who is accompanying him.. lol :bsmilie:

Wah.. now uni oso got photography course ah? is it degree course?

We this type bo tak cheh and self taught photog next time how to fight?
I dun even know the formulae to calculate DOF, or can't even design a lens construction... sigh :dunno:

You all graduate next time must go design a 17-70 f1.8L IS (VR) that weighs below 1-ton lens ok?

As for "Uniquely Singapore", I'll not go for the usual STPB themes. Rather to capture the life of the true Singaporeans - like having lavish seafood meals, queuing for TOTO, ah pek in singlet sitting at coffeeshops, etc... but may want to leave out the chio china girl who is accompanying him.. lol :bsmilie:

now thats uniquely singapore:bsmilie:

Hi!!!

By being a foreign student, u already had an advantage on the topic on Unique Singapore. As what you see as a different from your own country is Unique Singapore already. Where as most Singaporean or those who live here for too long might just already got used to the unique part of Singapore.
SO you can see and feel "unique Singapore", while most of us try to think "unique Singapore"!

I'm also from overseas - 3 years here now, but I still marvel at the 'uniquely Singaporean' talent of development and self re-invention that this small island manages to achive, snap some building works at a new HDB or a great image is all the IR resort cranes by the marina - just a couple of thoughts!.

Considering the two subjects, i suggest Fort Canning, Bukit Timah nature reserve, the reservoir areas, east coast park / bird sanctuary, Botanic Gardens.

go to any hawker food centre during lunch time. find a table with 4 tissues on the table top with nobody, and take a picture. Uniquely Singapore!

Chope!!! :bsmilie:

hey buddy...am from the same class...are u using a SLR camera?...i am looking fr someone with SLR camera for this project...actually I have done similar project before with school of ADM...but tat time school gave camera...anyways if u have one...we can maybe do the project together!...ciao...do reply..

Deepak

Haha...Maybe can try to lend from the school again??
Eh!! Since you have experience in this field, you guys have a lot of advantage over us "engineers" and the rest who are not from ADM!!! :sticktong
Just kidding...I also am planning to do this projects with my friends, just sharing a camera...

Really thank you guys for your overwhelming response...Haha.
I'm just a newbie who is interested in photography...
This subject is only an elective, but I really hoped to do well for it...*hopeful* :D

Actually I've thought of places like Esplanade and Merlion, but I think that many ppl will hv d same idea and it won't b good if all d pictures turn out d same...mine jz wont stand out...haha :p
Lifestyle is one that I'm thinking of...bt due to my limited "geographical" knowledge of Singapore, i jz hv no idea where to go to find all these photos. All my travels around Sg so far is on MRT...so places tat I go r usually <1KM radius fm d MRT..Haha..

Hi!!!

As a foreign student, what amaze you and don't see it in your own country, all are consider "Unique Singapore".

As for "Green Environment", schools talk more about "Green" than many other areas, shouldn't have problem finding your subjects.

hope this helps.

go to any hawker food centre during lunch time. find a table with 4 tissues on the table top with nobody, and take a picture. Uniquely Singapore!

Chope!!! :bsmilie:

I think his idea is good! No where else in the world will you find advanced seats booking with just a packet of tissue paper. Go CBD hawker centres at 1pm... sure can find such a sight one.

I think his idea is good! No where else in the world will you find advanced seats booking with just a packet of tissue paper. Go CBD hawker centres at 1pm... sure can find such a sight one.

I was about to say the tissue chope disgraceful acts. :bsmilie:

A lot of uniquely SG thing

- stuck at front of bus and refuse to move in
- standing on right side of escalator

I was about to say the tissue chope disgraceful acts. :bsmilie:
in the same class as you guys...and tissue thing was the first thing that came to my mind.

As for Unique Singapore, try the old cultural areas like Chinatown, Little India and Geylang Serai, etc...

abt playing with the DOF, i think it would be quite difficult to get significant bokeh for large building - easier with ppl
even if u use the widest aperture, say f/1.4 on maybe a 35mm lens, to shoot a building would be almost all sharp

even more impossible with a PnS except for some more prosumer models
most dun have selective manual focus; either that or the whole pic comes out sharp no matter the aperture

I think moving action is out as u need to demostrate with 2 photos right? I think tissue paper is the way to go man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.