Photo Story: American Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmonsoon

Aug 6, 2004
Sg
Wonderful collections of photos, glad he made it back safely.
Can learn much from studying the photos..:)
So random yet so well composed..

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/09/10/ian-fisher-american-soldier/

For 27 months, Ian Fisher, his parents and friends, and the U.S. Army allowed Denver Post reporters and a photographer to watch and chronicle his recruitment, induction, training, deployment, and, finally, his return from combat. A selection of photos from Ian’s journey are posted below.

The story was written by Kevin Simpson with Michael Riley and Bruce Finley. It was reported by Riley in Colorado and at Fort Benning, Ga., Finley at Fort Carson and in Iraq, and photographer Craig F. Walker throughout.

The multimedia project, including all the photos, video and special features, can be viewed at www.denverpost.com/americansoldier.

Last edited:
Great pics!!
Wished I could show my military works. Too bad no clearance from our own Army..Sigh

our army scare capture all the bad stuffs and generate bad publicity. somemore ours go to the forested area only to shoot blank then shout ''IA,IA,....''...bloody switch to universal round''bang bang bang bang....''

our army scare capture all the bad stuffs and generate bad publicity. somemore ours go to the forested area only to shoot blank then shout ''IA,IA,....''...bloody switch to universal round''bang bang bang bang....''

:bsmilie:......

That's Life in the NS!

our army pales in comparison...we have uniforms designed by ppl who don't wear them in the field...how i wish the designers are ppl who used to be regulars like the US industry...at least they have a better concept about feeling comfortable while deployed outfield.

Last edited:
The look on the recruits also gong gong, sotong sotong one :bsmilie:

Wah piang eh, the poor guy also got so many 'bing bian' during his serving time :sweat:

our army pales in comparison...we have uniforms designed by ppl who don't wear them in the field...how i wish the designers are ppl who used to be regulars like the US industry...at least they have a better concept about feeling comfortable while deployed outfield.

You mean the old uniform or the new 'digital' one?

You mean the old uniform or the new 'digital' one?

the new one, heard some feedbacks from a regular, the top is still uncomfortable as before except is faster-drying now.
and the new fbo closes up breathing space on the chest with armor plating on...sometimes is better to travel light so that you can go the longer distance.

the ceramic armor plating matter also a funny case, by theory can withstand 5 rounds of 5.56mm before the armor give way, so does that mean 1 round of 7.62mm round will penetrate though ?

Last edited:
the new one, heard some feedbacks from a regular, the top is still uncomfortable as before except is faster-drying now.
and the new fbo closes up breathing space on the chest with armor plating on...sometimes is better to travel light so that you can go the longer distance.

SAF is one screwed up organisation. Many reservist units, including mine are not given the new uniforms or are trained in SAR21.

This means that if we happen to go to battle next month, the enemies will be seeing doubles. 2 different armies from one country. We win liao :bsmilie:

talk about sar21, my reservist unit haven't even teach us the basic theory and stripping of the rifle...
as for the new uniform, maybe around 2014 then all the reservist units will change.
pioneer mag got mentioned before.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter lah, a 556 will our kill our enemies the same way m16 or SAR21, digicamo or otherwise..:)

Doesnt matter lah, a 556 will our kill our enemies the same way m16 or SAR21, digicamo or otherwise..:)

against a determined opponent if he doesn't lie flat on the ground after a few burst of 5.56mm, under the SAF ROE in urban combat, we were told to empty the whole mag of 30 rounds into the enemy...

don't underestimate the "punching" power of a single 7.62mm round right though the chest...especially if the ceramic armor plating gives way.

american troops in iraq feedback that the 5.56 doesn't have enough power to drop an opponent in urban combat.

Last edited:
under the SAF ROE in urban combat, we were told to empty the whole mag of 30 rounds into the enemy...

i think that's the past le uncle simon :bsmilie: i believe they have since changed to more humane ROE, only aimed shots. 99% we will die for we who are trained only briefly for the basics and motion :bsmilie:

think the recruitment must have dipped badly in the US that trigger the this photo story.. another plot to get their young man enlisted to fight for the world peace

i think that's the past le uncle simon :bsmilie: i believe they have since changed to more humane ROE, only aimed shots. 99% we will die for we who are trained only briefly for the basics and motion :bsmilie:

lol an NSF instructor told my whole ICT batch this just 2 weeks ago...i don't think anything has change except the aim shot thing is more for sentry duties during peace time.

think the recruitment must have dipped badly in the US that trigger the this photo story.. another plot to get their young man enlisted to fight for the world peace

more like fighting for oil...and keeping their military industry alive...

lol an NSF instructor told my whole ICT batch this just 2 weeks ago...i don't think anything has change except the aim shot thing is more for sentry duties during peace time.

there there are double standards! my unit recent ict in september we learnt room clearing with aim shots only leh.. the 'cool' factor apparently overwhelmed the reality factor in alot of my guys. :confused:

Back to thread...:)

I really liked the composition of photos in this series..
In fact, it's almost like a wonderful glossary of composition possibilities.
Will urgh all noobies like myself to look at them closer and deeper, tink theres much to learn here..

Status
Not open for further replies.