Photo Story: American Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.
there there are double standards! my unit recent ict in september we learnt room clearing with aim shots only leh.. the 'cool' factor apparently overwhelmed the reality factor in alot of my guys. :confused:

omg, the room clearing stuff also got something funny, 3 person team to clear room, if one of them go in IA, then the NSF instructor still dare to tell us to go into the room, squat down and hope for the best....anyone with basic common sense would get out of the room instead of going in with a faulty rifle.

omg, the room clearing stuff also got something funny, 3 person team to clear room, if one of them go in IA, then the NSF instructor still dare to tell us to go into the room, squat down and hope for the best....anyone with basic common sense would get out of the room instead of going in with a faulty rifle.

*nods head*

and the second would have to take his place, more often than not, they are most enthusiastic in chionging the other way which is their default direction :bsmilie:

really admire the courage of the US teens even some might be pure stupidity or out of hatred

our army pales in comparison...we have uniforms designed by ppl who don't wear them in the field...how i wish the designers are ppl who used to be regulars like the US industry...at least they have a better concept about feeling comfortable while deployed outfield.

The new No.4 green make all men in green look even more 'green headed'... Some more the rank insignia on the chest, directly in the middle, its like telling the enemy sniper "I am a f**king general, come shoot me..."

The green also makes me :ipuke:

our army pales in comparison...we have uniforms designed by ppl who don't wear them in the field...how i wish the designers are ppl who used to be regulars like the US industry...at least they have a better concept about feeling comfortable while deployed outfield.

You will be surprised to know that the current ACU worn by the US ARMY is pretty low on the popularity list. The whole concept was to design one camou pattern that can be used in nearly every terrain but of course that doesn't work in real life. The Marines, on the other hand, has the MARPAT for terrain that is greener (used in eastern Afghanistan) and the desert camou, well, for the desert (used in southern Afghanistan).

The current body armour is not very popular, very restrictive in body movement, and heavy as h*ll. A new version is being tested now and it's far lighter and less restrictive. I actually like that a lot! However, if you add your basic ammo load, 3L camelbak, IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit), radio, grenades, a couple pouches of misc items, then even the lightest vest will be heavy. There is no way you can reduce weight unless you ditch the ceramic plates! The US military has distinct advantages over the SAF: they have the $ for R&D and they get a lot of feedback from troops in actual combat. The SAF may have some of the $ but definitely no combat experience.

Someone mentioned the ceramic plates. I don't what they use in the SAF now (cos when I was in the NS in the mid 80s we didn't use any body armour) but the current US Army plates are meant to stop X numbers (don't remember exact figure) of direct hits from AP 7.62mm rounds before cracking and penetrating. This means that they will stop 5.56 without any problems but I'm sure there is a breaking point with that too. Body armour are classed as Level 3 (for stopping fragmentations and 9mm rounds) using only kelvar panels and Level 4 (for stopping AP 7.62mm rounds) all ceramic plates. So combat body armour are usually designed with a kelvar insert (to stop fragmentations) under a ceramic plate. As such I believe most, if not all, ceramic plates are designed equally whether it is US or Singapore.

Anybody worn the SAF body armour yet? Are these the standard issue to all SAF soldiers?

The US military has distinct advantages over the SAF: they have the $ for R&D and they get a lot of feedback from troops in actual combat. The SAF may have some of the $ but definitely no combat experience.

Anybody worn the SAF body armour yet? Are these the standard issue to all SAF soldiers?

actually most of US taxpayers money goes to funding for military R&D unlike sg where the money goes to the mp....

the new lbv can install body armor but is not standard issue to all saf personal.

Last edited:
You will be surprised to know that the current ACU worn by the US ARMY is pretty low on the popularity list. The whole concept was to design one camou pattern that can be used in nearly every terrain but of course that doesn't work in real life. The Marines, on the other hand, has the MARPAT for terrain that is greener (used in eastern Afghanistan) and the desert camou, well, for the desert (used in southern Afghanistan).

The current body armour is not very popular, very restrictive in body movement, and heavy as h*ll. A new version is being tested now and it's far lighter and less restrictive. I actually like that a lot! However, if you add your basic ammo load, 3L camelbak, IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit), radio, grenades, a couple pouches of misc items, then even the lightest vest will be heavy. There is no way you can reduce weight unless you ditch the ceramic plates! The US military has distinct advantages over the SAF: they have the $ for R&D and they get a lot of feedback from troops in actual combat. The SAF may have some of the $ but definitely no combat experience.

Someone mentioned the ceramic plates. I don't what they use in the SAF now (cos when I was in the NS in the mid 80s we didn't use any body armour) but the current US Army plates are meant to stop X numbers (don't remember exact figure) of direct hits from AP 7.62mm rounds before cracking and penetrating. This means that they will stop 5.56 without any problems but I'm sure there is a breaking point with that too. Body armour are classed as Level 3 (for stopping fragmentations and 9mm rounds) using only kelvar panels and Level 4 (for stopping AP 7.62mm rounds) all ceramic plates. So combat body armour are usually designed with a kelvar insert (to stop fragmentations) under a ceramic plate. As such I believe most, if not all, ceramic plates are designed equally whether it is US or Singapore.

Was issued fatass seperate ceramic platings for both side of the chest pouches for the LBV once. Totally threw the balance of the vest off. IIRC, was told only can stop 9mm rounds, no chance at all with a rifle round let alone a 7.62

Was issued fatass seperate ceramic platings for both side of the chest pouches for the LBV once. Totally threw the balance of the vest off. IIRC, was told only can stop 9mm rounds, no chance at all with a rifle round let alone a 7.62

It's strange that the SAF would only issue you with a Level 3 plate as they are really only good for urban situation where 9mm handguns are the most common threats. Plates shouldn't 'throw the balance off the vest' if the vest is well designed. It's just pretty heavy once you have both the front & back plates in. Many US Army soldiers are still using side plates and those things will kill you with the weight even the enemy doesn't! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.