photo storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

anumeha

May 2, 2007
:think:How to store photographs safely in laptop.I have viao vista .In which folder u should manage it .

Doesn't matter at all, it's the same hard disk. If it crashes the physical location at the disk is the last thing that matters. Pray that the data can be recovered. Think about external disks for backups instead.

External hard disc are cheap now. For 500GB, I think you can get around $100 plus. For me my raw image I burn in dvd while jpeg stored in external drive.

External hard disc are cheap now. For 500GB, I think you can get around $100 plus. For me my raw image I burn in dvd while jpeg stored in external drive.

DVD backup is risky; failure rate very high after a year or two.

:think:How to store photographs safely in laptop.I have viao vista .In which folder u should manage it .

Use a 3.5" external HDD together with a good antivirus.

Virus can easily wipe out all your pictures.

I back up 2 copies on external hard drives. No, I dont use cd/dvd/thumb for backup

I backup my photos in external hard disc.

Actually what happened that now I have my backup in my ipod but I am not able to get them back on my laptop .I have copied them on hard disk but somhow it was done twice and in order to sort it out it was half deleted All mess.So what do next? Really a good advice needed .

i store them in an external hd. can create folder in reference to year/month and back them up in dvd once awhile. still it gets messy when u do pp and copy them all over the place.

at least its safer this way.

Actually what happened that now I have my backup in my ipod but I am not able to get them back on my laptop .I have copied them on hard disk but somhow it was done twice and in order to sort it out it was half deleted All mess.So what do next? Really a good advice needed .

There are simple file synchronization tools that allow you to copy your files to external disks very easily. Backup at the end of your editing work and store the HDD. Since you can define the synchronization direction it's easy to recover from disk.

is it necessary to backup the RAW files also?

is it necessary to backup the RAW files also?

That's the main priority, IMHO. RAW files are like negatives from film - the most precious things. Once gone there's no way back. From a RAW you can create multiple versions with all kinds of post-processing. If your jpg is gone, never mind, take RAW and start again. But from a B/W jpg you can't go back to colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.