Photo "stolen" by newspaper reporter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhville

Oct 14, 2003
Temasek
www.onekorner.org
hi guys ...

maybe the use of the word "stolen" is kinda strong but i feel its that way..

what happen was that i was at an acappella competition the other day and i took pictures .. i was testing out stage photography that i was lousy at but that aside.. a reporter interview the second prize winners and wanted to do an article bout them .. and when he ask for a photo of them in the competition the group ask from me the pic to pass to this reporter .. so i gave him the photos and my name .. but later to find out that in the article he printed "story and photos by himself" ... well some ppl may think it is no big deal but i am an amature photographer and for a photo of mine to be in the papers it IS and big deal for me - something to have a big smile about the whole week ..

so what should u think i do now or what would u do if u were me .. ?

thanks for ur opinions :)

ps. i didnt sign any release form ..

duhville said:
hi guys ...

maybe the use of the word "stolen" is kinda strong but i feel its that way..

what happen was that i was at an acappella competition the other day and i took pictures .. i was testing out stage photography that i was lousy at but that aside.. a reporter interview the second prize winners and wanted to do an article bout them .. and when he ask for a photo of them in the competition the group ask from me the pic to pass to this reporter .. so i gave him the photos and my name .. but later to find out that in the article he printed "story and photos by himself" ... well some ppl may think it is no big deal but i am an amature photographer and for a photo of mine to be in the papers it IS and big deal for me - something to have a big smile about the whole week ..

so what should u think i do now or what would u do if u were me .. ?

thanks for ur opinions :)

ps. i didnt sign any release form ..

Call Newspaper and check it out with them because you got the copyright !

Which newspaper is this?
As long as you can prove that the original image file was generated in your camera, you can get the newspaper and the reporter to issue an apology in the paper itself.
You may also wish to pursue the matter further. This is not a trivial issue. If you were the one who took the photo, you own the copyright and the reporter CANNOT claim the image to be his own, especially not in a newspaper publication.
Dishonesty is not something we would like reporters to get away with. If it was with some other paper, write in to the Straits Times Forum section and request for a public apology.

If this is true, the reporter is very serious trouble. He is to acknowledge his source of information & photos. He is also expected to uphold a high standard of integrity especially in news reporting.

Oh duhville, how did u "give" him the photos on the spot?

release form or no release form, the reporter is asking for trouble! :angry:

give the bugger a call and ask for an apology. if not, write in to the newspaper forums - ST, Today, Streets etc...

Ah yes the joys of innocence. And no, that's not a reference to the initial poster. I do feel for you.

ha! i just saw the news report. the reporter from streets really have the cheek sia.... :nono:

Duhville, can u tell us the date of the newspaper concerned and wat page and wat subject??Streats is part of SPH rite??Publisher of the Straits times??

THis is so unfair.
Anyway nothing is fair in this world.
So be careful and do all proper procedures be4 giving anyone ur photos

He didn't put this by line did he? "story and photos by himself", well I think you can't really do anything. You know it will be used in the paper, you should ask for credit in the first place, else don't give.

ah, as usual again.

Jed said:
Ah yes the joys of innocence. And no, that's not a reference to the initial poster. I do feel for you.

If it's not big deal and he's not exactly earning a lot of moolas for it, then usually i'd not rack up a scene too lor. Relax, such things happen.

I was the official photog for a celebrity event, posted up 400x266 thumbnails on pbase to sell to people (with OK from my client), in the end my pics were leeched by some 10 magazines (overseas included!) and countless websites as wallpaper etc..... :bsmilie: You know what? Coz though the 400x266 thumbnails are small, they are of high quality coz they are downsized properly from a big file and saved at jpg quality 10 in PS. They blew it up to 600x400 and i saw some even printing them out in 4R (still looks ok). :bsmilie: I ever saw a magazine kind of reference book in Kinokuniya that has over 20 of my photos used. What to do? Sue them, they are overseas....and i no money.
I didn't put any form of serious copyright watermark (just some small translucent wordings at an inconspicuous part), doesn't matter even if you put it down in words on the website that you do not appreciate leeching without any prior consent etc.... Bo bian lor, took it in my stride, take it as a form of 'sharing'.

Since you shoot for fun, relax and take heart that the bugger look up to you. :) :thumbsup: Your shots must be good!

copyright cannot be stolen (even if you don't put the C symbol or copyright info), as long as you possess the original file with exif data (better yet if its a RAW/NEF file), you can claim damages. especially when it is not you who put the work into public domain

first: talk to streats editor. say you want credit to be acknowledge, in lieu of payment, or else payment for the work stolen.

Its not a matter of small moola. Its a matter of principal and ethics. For me, I WILL call up the editor of Streats and make known to him/her what had transpired. They DON'T NEED to compensate me, a written acknowledgement or even a apology from the journalist concerned will be enough. Duhville its time to make a stand.

dun think u can do anything, at the most they will credit the photos to u....
but i think they would not even do that.
since when have u read things like "the photo on yesterday page xxx" is taken by yyy person" on singapore newspaper.

bro bro ... thanks for your comments, advice and help..

but i need to make clear something ... the photo is NOT on the acapella which is on the 28th july issue of STREETS (surely i dont want to claim someone else pic as my onw now hehe) but it is on the 27th july issues of the local malay newspaper ..Berita Harian.

to answer kingpin
i emailed him the pics

to correct nightwolf75
it is not streets it is berita harian

to the rest :)
i decided to email to the editor and inform him that it is wrong for the press to do such thing.. i dont care if there is moneytary gains .. and i dont even care if use the pic without giving me the cerdits and leaving it nameless but i dont not appriciate his reporter to claim it his own ... so i guess i do that ... like 2100 say leeches come in many forms but i would like to let this ppl know is it wrong and get a reply .. especially from the press ..

so what u think? should i be harder on them ?

duhville said:

but i need to make clear something ... the photo is NOT on the acapella which is on the 28th july issue of STREETS (surely i dont want to claim someone else pic as my onw now hehe) but it is on the 27th july issues of the local malay newspaper ..Berita Harian.

to answer kingpin
i emailed him the pics

to correct nightwolf75

i decided to email to the editor and inform him that it is wrong for the press to do such thing.. i dont care if there is moneytary gains .. and i dont even care if use the pic without giving me the cerdits and leaving it nameless but i dont not appriciate his reporter to claim it his own ... so i guess i do that ... like 2100 say leeches come in many forms but i would like to let this ppl know is it wrong and get a reply .. especially from the press ..

its the principal, you should fight for your rights.

duhville said:

to answer kingpin
i emailed him the pics

to correct nightwolf75

admirable approach

duhville... just send a bill to Berita Harian for the use of your pic, and if they don't pay up and publicly give you the credit for the photo, threaten to take your story to TODAY. works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.