Photo size

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro_FHM

Nov 3, 2005
I shoot using canon 350D.
realised that the photos are in the ratio of 2:3 (width: height or vice versa).
however, when printing 8R, its size is 8" by 10" (ratio 4:5)
and when printing super 8R, its size is 8" by 12" (ratio 4:3)

does this mean that the photos will be distorted when printed out? (since diff ratio)
should i then crop my photos to 4:5 when printing 8R and crop 4:3 when printing super 8R?

also i realise only 4R seems to be the correct ratio (4" x 6")
5R also in a wierd ratio (5" x 7")

thanks for enlightening me.
still a newbie. :)

350D 3:2

get prints that are in 3:2 format

go figure.

pro_FHM said:

does this mean that the photos will be distorted when printed out? (since diff ratio)
should i then crop my photos to 4:5 when printing 8R and crop 4:3 when printing super 8R?

W6R(6x9) S8R(8x12 IS in 3:2) 10R(10x15) and 12R(12x18) are all 2:3 format. If you want to print at other ratios you have to crop

pro_FHM said:

Just ask the lab to make you photo fit the ratio with the use of white borders, no cropping needed and it takes you like a second to ask!

Very hassle free unless of course you dont want a white border, then you must crop or there will be distortion.

pro_FHM said:

Super 8R (S8R) is also ratio 2:3, you got it wrong, you dont' have to crop to ratio for S8R prints.

for 5R, 8R, 10R, yes, you have to crop to ratio before send for prints, if you don't some part of picture will be crop off (fill in, by default setting), or shows white borders at two sides (fit in still, by request setting), the lab won't give you distorted pictures.

anyway, you can reject distored prints, but not partial crop off or white borders at two sides prints, because you didn't send in right ration image for the print you ordered.

Generally, I admit there is no dumb question, however, there is always an exception to the rule. 2:3, 3:2, 8:12 are all the same. Don't inow why OP asked the questions.

Thanks for all the replies. will take note when i print it out next time. ;)

You have 2 options:

1. Crop the image to a correct ratio of the size of the photo you want to print. Your pictures will not be distorted but you do loose some of the details.

2. Some labs can give you the 3:2 ratio even if the size is not 4x6 or 8x12 or 12x18. For example 5R which is 5x7 can be printed to 5x7.5 by some labs. I know Kim Tian does that as that's what I always do with this print size to retain the 3:2 ratio. Of course you pay a bit more.

In case you plan to frame the pictures up, just make sure that you are able to get the right frame size for the print size that you are making.

Hope the above help. Cheers

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.