Photo shoot for Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Blue

Jul 17, 2003
Boon Lay
Visit site
Hi anyone here ever done a photoshoot of ice cream?

I have several questions, wondering anyone could help?

1. How to make the ice look better? I heard that you have to spray some gelatin or something like that to make it more yummy.
2. What lighting should I be using? I have a 500 watt studio lights but haven't really used it much for anything.
3. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks in advance

ice cream? you need a food stylish.

Deep Blue said:
Hi anyone here ever done a photoshoot of ice cream?

I have several questions, wondering anyone could help?

1. How to make the ice look better? I heard that you have to spray some gelatin or something like that to make it more yummy.
2. What lighting should I be using? I have a 500 watt studio lights but haven't really used it much for anything.
3. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks in advance

Key note is fast....if you is not able to use "fake" or "processed" ice cream...do it fast...prefer with softbox on your lights.

I have a stylish. Albeit not a food stylish. She does sets for tv shoots though. I'm a little worried about the lighting though.

Backlight, reflector, placements and such.

Thanks guys for the tips.

we normally use crisco food shortening in place of real ice-cream for photoshoot. it's stable at room temperature and pretty pliable. texture and looks are similiar. food coloring is used to simulate different flavors.

if real ice-cream is used, sometimes a small blow-torch is used to slightly melt the ice-cream for a glistering effect. at times, the ice-cream scoop is warmed up so that the ice-cream comes off easier and smooth, then it's returned to the freezer to set again.

as for gelatin, it's usually worked into the ice-cream mix so it holds longer. agar-agar is more durable. the other thing that u can do is spray it lightly with a clear lacquer for a slight gloss.

bowwow said:
we normally use crisco food shortening in place of real ice-cream for photoshoot. it's stable at room temperature and pretty pliable. texture and looks are similiar. food coloring is used to simulate different flavors.

if real ice-cream is used, sometimes a small blow-torch is used to slightly melt the ice-cream for a glistering effect. at times, the ice-cream scoop is warmed up so that the ice-cream comes off easier and smooth, then it's returned to the freezer to set again.

as for gelatin, it's usually worked into the ice-cream mix so it holds longer. agar-agar is more durable. the other thing that u can do is spray it lightly with a clear lacquer for a slight gloss.

food shortening ie palm oil?

Deep Blue said:
I have a stylish. Albeit not a food stylish. She does sets for tv shoots though. I'm a little worried about the lighting though.

Backlight, reflector, placements and such.

Thanks guys for the tips.

Guys, it's Food Stylist. Not food stylish.

Pro Image said:
Guys, it's Food Stylist. Not food stylish.

hehehe... should employ u to shoot... hehehe...

hmm how come no body suggest use those light panel to shoot? those cool white lights... no matter what, flash will emit heat... with or without modeling light.

and is it possible to shoot inside a sub 0 environment?

bowwow said:
food shortening.... a fat that is in a semi-solid state when in room temperature but becomes liquid when heated-up, like ghee. crisco is however a neutral color and easy to manipulate.

crisco is a naming noun for a type of shortening or an alternative to shortening?
:think:

Thanks guys for all your reply.

I have definitely leanrt something from you guy.

Will post my pics here if there's any good ones. Maybe you guys can comment for me then.

Pro Image said:
Best not to use it at all......nowadays food is shot as real as possible.

Fully agree :)

Looking at the trend of the food magazines, commercial shots, recipe books, etc, most of the food are shot with little 'styling'. Quite a bit of the food shots are done with window light and reflector even (check out Jamie Oliver's books). Moreover, with digital workflow nowadays, a lot of the enhancement can be done in Photoshop.

Time to get a tilt-and-shift lens, hehe :D

canturn said:
Fully agree :)

Looking at the trend of the food magazines, commercial shots, recipe books, etc, most of the food are shot with little 'styling'. Quite a bit of the food shots are done with window light and reflector even (check out Jamie Oliver's books). Moreover, with digital workflow nowadays, a lot of the enhancement can be done in Photoshop.

Time to get a tilt-and-shift lens, hehe :D

85mm f2.8 PC Nikkor! I am using that at the moment......hehe!

richliow said:
have you tried those from Phoon huat?

no, have not tried any from phoon huat.

but as what Pro Image has stated, these days more emphasis is placed on actually plated shooting where the food is more "natural". those used for product shoots itself are normally "styled" so that there's more control over the environment.

have just completed a major shoot for a restaurant group where everything was done as is. no artificial manipulation was done at all. have to just communicate with the chefs and organise everything before the shooting starts.

the last time i had to do any styling was for one of those kaya toast outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.