Photo Retoucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geckorian

Feb 10, 2004
Would like to gain commercial experience in retouching photos. Not really as a career but would appreciate the practice. Any idea where I can get started?:)

Geckorian said:
Would like to gain commercial experience in retouching photos. Not really as a career but would appreciate the practice. Any idea where I can get started?:)

You can work for me as a freelance DI artist. However, I will have to know how fluent are you with Photoshop, and how detailed and accurate you are. Your skill level shall determine your wages.

I will usually give you two sample images to work on. I will not tell you what I want. This way, I know how good you can spot problems. You have 15 minutes to show me the results (briefly).

It is a game of speed and accuracy. If you cannot complete your assigned task within that time frame, I am sorry but you are out.

photobum said:
You can work for me as a freelance DI artist. However, I will have to know how fluent are you with Photoshop, and how detailed and accurate you are. Your skill level shall determine your wages.

I will usually give you two sample images to work on. I will not tell you what I want. This way, I know how good you can spot problems. You have 15 minutes to show me the results.

It is a game of speed and accuracy. If you cannot complete your assigned task within that time frame, I am sorry but you are out.

15 minutes for 2 images? Wow.. I was told Photo Retouchers spend hours working on a piece. Would love to give it a try though. (Hope we are actually talking about the same thing) :)

wah, photobum, 15mins for 2 images ah, you mean remove the mold and remove red eyes ah

long time ago you said you want to teach zone system any news

It actually depends on the photos and the level of photomanipulation the DI Artist wants to go...

For example, we have some wedding photographers here in CS. Almost every week, they have to edit/touch up around 300 photos. So that they dont spend much time on each photo, because of the nature...

But for other type of DI people, they spend hours on a single photo or an artwork (those belong to the heavy photomanipulators), they are not really photographers. They belong to more towards DI Artworks.

I sometimes spend about 15~30 hours creating a photo collage, and also sometimes, spend about just 2~3 mins to do some minor touch ups on photos. It depends...

photobum said:
I will usually give you two sample images to work on. I will not tell you what I want. This way, I know how good you can spot problems. You have 15 minutes to show me the results.
hmm...sounds familiar...did that at an interview once...and I think I came off looking pretty decent too if I might say so myself... ;)

but for those interested in retouching, can try cold calling DI houses or photog studios and ask for vacancies or freelance opportunities...there are always opportunities...or of course there are the classified ads...

would be good if you have a strong portfolio as well...impress with highly detailed, systematically organised layed files, not flattened ones (those you can email low res as a treaser), and explain your thought process...there are employers who care just for work you have done and not your qualifications...

there is retouching, and then there is DI...the former deals more with removing flaws in the image...the later deals with creating and enhancing the image beyond the original look of the image...don't expect to be allowed to do the later without proving you can even do the former...don't be surprised if you are just hired to etch out images in paths...

one thing...the word commercial means a specific thing in photography...advertising and business related jobs...if you want a taste of the work and practise, might be good not to restrict yourself to that category...very cut-throat... :what:

Geckorian said:

Since u mentioned retouching and not DI, I started by approaching and emailing all those 'makeover' 'portrait' studios and offer freelance retouching of their clients photos. Its high quantity work and frankly quality must still be good but nowhere near 'DI' standards, speed is priority.

For DI route, its all abt ur portfolio. You can always use stock photos and start performing 'manipulation, compositing'etc...:)

jopel said:
long time ago you said you want to teach zone system any news

Wah..... You remember me! I am so touch. The Zone System class was not possible because of my hectic work schedule. I will like to do it again some day though!

photobum said:
Wah..... You remember me! I am so touch. The Zone System class was not possible because of my hectic work schedule. I will like to do it again some day though!
i am interested in understanding the zone system too. keep me informed k?

Status
Not open for further replies.