Photo questions...Anyone been to Canada/US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiwi

I'll be off to Canada, Toronto in particular, for work for about 2 months. Thereafter will be going to US mainly north-eastern like Washington or New York.

I'm thinking of bringing both my film and digital cams there. But being a "film burner", I don't think even 40 rolls will be sufficient for 2 months! So I'm thinking of bringing a few rolls first and buying the bulk there later.

1. Do you know of any good photo shops in Toronto and US where I can buy reasonably priced pro films like Velvia, Provia, etc and do developing?

2. How's the airport security like? Just read that under new regulations, only 1 hand-carry luggage + maybe a small bag is allowed! Not sure if they take offence at tripods....

3. It's cold and snowing big time in Canada now with temp reaching below -10C. Anyone with experience on batteries or shutter? The last time I went to Japan, even though it was about 5 deg or so, the battery was flat in less than a minute! Didn't help to keep a spare as warm up. It just went flat in a short time too once exposed to the cold. So is a manual camera the way to go???

4. Any other advice I should bear in mind?

Hey thanks a lot guys for any useful tips and input!!!
:) :)

Off to the Great White North Eh!
First off to help you fit in, change your Lah to Eh (Pronounced 'A'). Do this and everyone will think your a Canadian ;-)

I am actually heading home to Toronto This Friday for 2 weeks. Been over a year now since I could make it so will be nice to get home and see family....

There is one main Pro Camera Chain in Canada called Henrys
www.henrys.com
They have several shops through out the Toronto Area. Prices not always the lowest but they have a great selection, large amounts of stock and very friendly and knowledgeable staff. If you have a chance highly recommend you take a stop by there HQ in Downtown Toronto...

Anyways.. If you want to know about some more shops or shooting spots, drop me a line.

Cheers!

Mike

Originally posted by Kiwi
I'll be off to Canada, Toronto in particular, for work for about 2 months. Thereafter will be going to US mainly north-eastern like Washington or New York.

I'm thinking of bringing both my film and digital cams there. But being a "film burner", I don't think even 40 rolls will be sufficient for 2 months! So I'm thinking of bringing a few rolls first and buying the bulk there later.

1. Do you know of any good photo shops in Toronto and US where I can buy reasonably priced pro films like Velvia, Provia, etc and do developing?

2. How's the airport security like? Just read that under new regulations, only 1 hand-carry luggage + maybe a small bag is allowed! Not sure if they take offence at tripods....

3. It's cold and snowing big time in Canada now with temp reaching below -10C. Anyone with experience on batteries or shutter? The last time I went to Japan, even though it was about 5 deg or so, the battery was flat in less than a minute! Didn't help to keep a spare as warm up. It just went flat in a short time too once exposed to the cold. So is a manual camera the way to go???

wow cool...u are coming to toronto eh?
haha...when?
can help me one favour?
i need some help in getting batteries from spore...
the batteries are so damn expensive here...
so if u are going to burn film...be forewarned to bring more batteries...dont buy here...

anyway if u are looking at camera stuffs..
either henrys.com or www.downtowncamera.com will suffice all ur camera needs
generally henrys stuffs are more expensive than downtowncamera
i am wondering how they manage to survive when these two big camera stores are just side by side in downtown toronto

about the weather...yeah its quite cold this yr compared to the previous yr...it snowed more than 30cm the last 2 days....and dont think thats fun...wait till the snow turned into brown mucky ice...then shake head liao.... yeah...bring more batteries...i always have at least 2 spares set of batteries while shooting with digital....

any other info u need...feel free to ask...

yeah one more thing
the prices at www.henrys.com are generally fixed...and up to date...
the prices at www.downtowncamera.com arent fixed...and arent up to date....
so dont gauge the shop by the prices...
anyway feel free to bargain...since i think the boss is from hk...

Hi mpenza, Bedpan and Ayumi, thanks for all the useful tips!

Ok, Bedpan, I'll be writing to you! Thanks! Are you a PR working in Singapore?

Ayumi, ahhh...Canadian resident! I'm not looking forward to the coooold weather. :( Want me to buy batteries for you ah??? Hmmm. How many do you need actually? :D

Btw, what kind of boots do you all recommend? A high cut water-resistant type? Any particular brands?

Wow, just checked the Provia 100F/Velvia is selling for C$10.99 in downtown camera. That's like S$4.50 more per roll compared here.

Well I guess I can't be too picky... :)

well...for the batteries..its just a casual slip
i have already asked my friend to collect for me and then send it to me
thanks anyway

as i said above...the prices at downtowncamera cant be taken for real...the prices havent been updated for god knows when....www.henrys.com will be a better gauge....then minus a few cents away...then thats the real price from downtowncamera.com
if u really want to know the exact price...i can always give them a call to check out the price for u....but its 7am now....maybe later...
anyway remember...u still have to add the atrocious 15% tax
which u will still be able to get back in the end....since u are a tourist

as for leather boots...its always better to get those high-cut ones....coz u dont wanna get snow into ur shoes.... and make it wet and smelly....
anyway i heard many pple say that its better to get leather shoes from canada....coz much more selections and cheaper than spore...
i dont really know

I was in BC and Alberta abt 1 month ago. I dunno how different it is from toronto, but I'll offer my experiences:

1) this one, I really dunno :D

2) I din have much problems with my big bagpack and my handcarry luggages - a camera bagpack and a tripod.

3) I was using EOS5, with li-ion batteries. In fact, I din have problems with battery going flat, though its not a fresh battery and temps are mostly 5 to -15 degC in Alberta.

4) Just cover urself warmly...cold temperatures w/o proper warm clothings will kill the spirit to take pics. Wear good thermal wear and gloves, those that trap heat well and lightweight. In toronto, there's a outdoor gear mall call M.E.C(Mountain Equipment Co-op) selling great stuff for outdoor winter gear. Those are good stuff u can't get in the local regions. Also visit the smaller shops which offer good bargains too. These are not photogear, but they could make ur photography sessions much more pleasant.

Drive very carefully on frosted roads. I had a bad accidently there which almost claimed my life.. was saved by a barrier which prevented me from plunging down the valley.

Happy shooting ;)

Last time I been to Vancouver, there was this lab call Londondrugs. Their print was slightly more expensive, but the quality of the print is very impressive. I had some photo taken 10 years ago, it still looks good now, while the last roll in my camera which I printed in Singapore already faded and my alblum already has yellow marks all over the place.

Not sure it is available in Toronto, but it is worth the money.

But, that was 10 years ago...

Just recalled an interesting incident when I was there.

Then, Londondrug do provide 1 hours service. I put 8 rolls on the counter and that girl told me to come back the next day. When I pointed to her the 1 hour service time poster, she told me that that was for 1 roll, 8 roll 8 hours, so collect next day.

I said OK, I can come in 1 minutes later for 8 times and you write 8 pieces of receipt for me. I will be back to collect 1 hour & 8 minutes later. ;p

She accepted all 8 roll at once, but asked me to come back 2 hours later (which I accept). Cannot recall did she show me the white part of her eye or not ... ;p

Dec 2002 at the top of Whistler (1850m/6069ft) at -3 in snowing conditions. D60+Microdrive no problem. Shot off at least 100 shots.

But then again, it was a D60 with the legendary BP511.

Some shots of Canada I posted recently .

Well, I think different pple have different experiences with tripods. Some have no problems putting in their carry-ons. I put mine in my check-in luggage, esp these days where security is so touchy. Some tripods can really be weapons, and all you need to make your day is to encounter a dutiful cautious customs officer.....
If you are bringing in loads of film, don't ever put them in your check-in luggage :)

I had an Olympus mjuII & a Canon Powershot S10 digicam in Sweden at abt -5 degrees and both cameras & batteries have no problems :) Just don't hang your camera in the open too long.... Don't really think you need to resort to manual cameras...

Just my experiences and opinions :)

..NuTs..

Status
Not open for further replies.