Photo prints: What color space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Just to confirm, do most printing shops in Singapore use the sRGB color space for prints rather than AdobeRGB? Does any shop you know of do prints in AdobeRGB colorspace? Cause I've read that Adobe RGB has a "wider gamut of colors than sRGB". Does that mean better colors in pictures?

GYR

Gymrat76 said:
Just to confirm, do most printing shops in Singapore use the sRGB color space for prints rather than AdobeRGB? Does any shop you know of do prints in AdobeRGB colorspace? Cause I've read that Adobe RGB has a "wider gamut of colors than sRGB". Does that mean better colors in pictures?

GYR
No printer prints in Adobe RGB. Prints never have the gamut (i.e. range of colours) that the AdobeRGB colour space can show.

Regards
CK

Oh, so AdobeRGB is strictly for editing and for display on screen?

Thanks for clearing that up

BUT most printers has wider gamut than sRGB right?

Gymrat76 said:
Oh, so AdobeRGB is strictly for editing and for display on screen?

Thanks for clearing that up

but adobe rgb seems to be good only when viewin in PS, not using winxp progam.

wind30 said:
BUT most printers has wider gamut than sRGB right?

If you're talking about Epson 2100/2200/4000, then the answer is of course yes. If talking about the consumer 6 colour inkjets, the answer is not really. Its more or less the same.

However, the new 8-colour Canons like the i9950 will probably have a larger gamut but I haven't seen gamut charts for their output yet.

Unless you have a fully calibrated workflow, its much simpler to use an sRGB workflow for printouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.