Photo printing shop like Fujifilm print better photo than home printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
Anyone has home printer at home? Will they print better IQ than those shops? Because I notice that you can quite easily get pearl paper with home printer but there is only one shop offering pearl printout.

Anyone has home printer at home? Will they print better IQ than those shops? Because I notice that you can quite easily get pearl paper with home printer but there is only one shop offering pearl printout.
how can a home printer print better picture then a mini lab using a 300k printing machine? and these people print a few hundreds to a few thousand prints each day, they are charging money for doing that, such at least have some kind of quality on their print out.

of course you can get good quality print out from home printers too, if you willing to invest on good printer, good paper, good ink, and lot of time testing and fine tuning the print out.

anyway, some Fuji labs offer pearl paper, but such paper is very expensive, hence not very popular, you just need to ask around.

ColourLab at Adelphi?

If you calibrate/profile the printer/ink/paper properly, I don't see why the output cannot be better than that from the labs. In fact, the result I get from my Canon iP6600 can be considered to be better than most neighbourhood labs except the best. I still go ColourLab if I need to print a lot.

Last edited:
In those photo printing shops, they are using Lab colours which is near RGB colours.
Those home printer (consumer grade), you're using CMYK colours which have lesser colour combination as compared to lab colour or RGB. :D

In those photo printing shops, they are using Lab colours which is near RGB colours.
Those home printer (consumer grade), you're using CMYK colours which have lesser colour combination as compared to lab colour or RGB. :D
Being called photo labs doesnt mean they use the Lab colorspace. They're called labs cuz developing and making prints from film (used to) require a whole bunch of chemicals.

In fact, Lab is not a true definitive colorspace at all. It's the digital interpretation of what we humans perceive as spectral color. All colorspaces (sRGB, AdobeRGB, prophoto, CMYK, etc..) are translated into Lab (digital) mode when they're digitalized. It's the only way the computer knows how to do calculations on the relationship between hue, saturation and luminosity.

Most commercial photo labs' machines operate in the sRGB colorspace, but inkjet has long surpassed sRGB in terms of potential color reproduction.

In home printing, it all boils down to hands-on experience in printing on various paper, using various inks, and taking courses in color management if you want to get good prints.

Last edited:
Being called photo labs doesnt mean they use the Lab colorspace. They're called labs cuz developing and making prints from film (used to) require a whole bunch of chemicals.

In fact, Lab is not a true definitive colorspace at all. It's the digital interpretation of what we humans perceive as spectral color. All colorspaces (sRGB, AdobeRGB, prophoto, CMYK, etc..) are translated into Lab (digital) mode when they're digitalized. It's the only way the computer knows how to do calculations on the relationship between hue, saturation and luminosity.

Most commercial photo labs' machines operate in the sRGB colorspace, but inkjet has long surpassed sRGB in terms of potential color reproduction.

In home printing, it all boils down to hands-on experience in printing on various paper, using various inks, and taking courses in color management if you want to get good prints.
Thanks for correcting my mistake.
At least I learn something new today. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.