Photo posting Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimlee

Jan 23, 2005
Lavender
Hi to all,

Can i post the photo of people that i take without their knowledge? Something like people sitting or walking pass... Chinatown CNY shot. Will there be any rights problem? Thank you fro viewing.

IMHO, it is still best to watermark your pictures in some ways that others cannot leech it off from you, and use it for certain things like promoting the gal as some business.... you know what I mean? With that said the watermarking stuff also acts as a form of protection for the person in the picture, as a mean to sue the person misusing it in any case. From most people's prospective, it is highly unlikely for you to get sued. First being that it costs money, second being that it takes time. Of course if your picture is demostrated in an artistic way or positive way (eg with themes like "Working Hard", "Fighting for Survival" of someone busy working etc), it is near to no chance that you get into trouble. Unless the person is too protective of him/herself..... Other pictures not advised to be posted are those of big names, like your PM, MM, SM, and people like policeman, security guard etc. Of course if it shows something like the themes mentioned above, not likely you get into trouble, but sometimes it is the person involved getting into trouble. :bsmilie:

Hi theITguy,

I will try to put a watermark on my image when posting it. Thank you for the explanation. Happy CNY...

If the picture of another person was used in a way that is used for profit.... like in a photograph for sale, in a magazine, or an advertisement..etc

The person in the pic might ask for some....$$$.

For example you shot a pic of an old man in Chinatown in B&W and sent it for a Photo Competition that won you $10,000. this pic gets published in the newspaper.

This is more like a legal issue and Perhaps someone well-verse in Copyright laws can give u a better answer.

Actually, spore does not have privacy law. that is why if you look into someone's house with a bino and see them naked, you can call the police and the naked ppl will be charged or cautioned, while nothing will happen to you. Unless the window is the toilet window.

So you can take pictures without worrying about the law, just as long as it is in public. The only thing is that you cannot use that picture for an ad. Then it is unlawful, you will then need a model release.

But you can use it for photo contests and win 10K, the person in the picture has got no right to any money. This is because the prize is for your skill and not for the persons likeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.