Photo keeps overexposing

Netforce

Jan 23, 2009
Ang Mo Jio
Hi,

I recently shot an event with my 50D + Sigma 24-70 F2.8 and Canon 580 EX II. I've tried bouncing the flash off the attached white card, but my photos keeps getting overexposed. Any idea why is this happening?

Ps. I've tried to shoot in TTL and M. But the results are either under or overexposed. Super upset with my photos. I ended up shooting without flash.

Pls advice. Thanks.

have you accidentally adjusted your exposure compensation setings up ? check that first.... should be at '0'

ditto for your 580 flash out put too..... check that its setting at '0' too

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently shot an event with my 50D + Sigma 24-70 F2.8 and Canon 580 EX II. I've tried bouncing the flash off the attached white card, but my photos keeps getting overexposed. Any idea why is this happening?

Ps. I've tried to shoot in TTL and M. But the results are either under or overexposed. Super upset with my photos. I ended up shooting without flash.

Pls advice. Thanks.
show a picture with full exif attach will help to provide more info for analyzing.

ok i'll try to post it up tonight. Btw Im not sure about this but is the 580 II able to sync with the sigma lens?

the event is indoors or outdoors?

do note that when you use flash your min shutter speed is quite long if it is outdoors in broad daylight.

read your camera manual. It is all spelled there.

check for your flash reading when you use it, does it says TTL or ETTL? if it says TTL, read the manual to revert back to ETTL and try again.
:)

Post a photo so that we can have a better idea of camera settings. You mentioned TTL and M mode. That is your flash right? How about the camera?

Thx guys for the info so far.
Camera mode is Av.

Is it possible to have ETTL II with Sigma lens? I never knew that.

Hi,

Pls advice. Thanks.

Have you tried stepping down the exposure?

Sounds like faulty flash connection to me since it went to TTL instead of ETTL without you realizing, unless it was switched accidently.

Thx guys for the info so far.
Camera mode is Av.

Is it possible to have ETTL II with Sigma lens? I never knew that.

Did you try shooting in M? Is the outcome the same?

i dont bother with TTL of any sort....just more work to be done in post.

simply set one general flash power setting and then adjust the camera settings instead to get what you want.

Sorry but I still don't quite understand. I'll go back today and check the connection again. But am I right to say that the flash can be in ETTL II even when Im using a sigma lens?

Sorry but I still don't quite understand. I'll go back today and check the connection again. But am I right to say that the flash can be in ETTL II even when Im using a sigma lens?
ETTL II works at its best when using lenses that feed distance data back to the camera through the electronic mount.

So is there a way to find out if my Sigma lens would be able to feed data into my flash?