Photo Journ - What is your definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvestnow

May 29, 2002
to you, what is photo journ to you? =)
care to post some of ur views?

to me, photo journalism tells a news story in images, instead of with words as with a writer/reporter. a good photo journalistic piece doesn't need words to accompany it - it tells the story all on its own.

Moved thread to a more suitable location.

Please note:

Photo Galleries are for posting images, not philosophical discussion of what entails a particular subject unless it's part of the critique or follow on from a given image.

Ian
Moderator.

Originally posted by Larry
to me, photo journalism tells a news story in images, instead of with words as with a writer/reporter. a good photo journalistic piece doesn't need words to accompany it - it tells the story all on its own.

Well said :p

Yeah gotta agree. Think a photo journal is a story told by the pictures not any words.

There's a lot more to being a good photojournalist than just being a photographer. True photojournalists write their own copy, captions and so on. In other words they are a combination of wordsmith and photographer, but with the written word (copy) being subservient to the photographic images used to illustrate the story.

This definition was given to me many years ago by a newspaper editor in Sydney when I started work for the organisation he headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.