Photo Essay Help.

tehzeh

Aug 7, 2009
Thomas More's Vision
Hi guys. I am required to take 1-3 photos and write an essay about the photos.

The topic is Language and Power. I seriously have no idea, where to or how to take a photo related to this topic.

It's like Language and Power aren't something that can be seen.... So I wonder if you guys have any ideas? Care to share?

Help appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Let me try...
Firstly, you take nice picture of some nice caligraphy with the words "华语". The picture must have that kind of impact look in order to look powerful.
Then you start to write how powerful is chinese in our life today.

my 2 cents...hope it helps

Let me try...
Firstly, you take nice picture of some nice caligraphy with the words "华语". The picture must have that kind of impact look in order to look powerful.

oh... this is quite a good idea.. but it's an english essay... but anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :)

What school are you from? If we provide you with ideas, we should also benefit from the good grades.

What school are you from? If we provide you with ideas, we should also benefit from the good grades.

LOL. I am from a JC in the east. ;)

I don't know what I can do except to thank you guys... =/

oh... this is quite a good idea.. but it's an english essay... but anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :)

So you mean English Essay can only write about English Language. Then your lecturer shall change the Topic to "English Language and Power".

So you mean English Essay can only write about English Language. Then your lecturer shall change the Topic to "English Language and Power".

They didn't specify but who would want their students to write about how Great another language is when they are teaching the other language? =/

you need to look at more pictures and ask yourself questions

btw why can't you write an english essay about the power of the chinese language?
or do it the other way around and write about the power of the english language or language in general.

Let me try...

I will go with this : )

Let me try...

to add on this suggestion.

if you can place the nice chinese calligraphy together with China's Forbidden City model or some China's prominent landmark, you can already write something abt the topic.

China been the next potential superpower economy and the history of chinese culture and language.....

sure get A for this. ;);)

you need to look at more pictures and ask yourself questions

btw why can't you write an english essay about the power of the chinese language?
or do it the other way around and write about the power of the english language or language in general.

I see... Okay.. Thanks for the advice..

Yeah that idea is possible and i didn't say I am not going to use that idea. ;)

to add on this suggestion.

if you can place the nice chinese calligraphy together with China's Forbidden City model or some China's prominent landmark, you can already write something abt the topic.

China been the next potential superpower economy and the history of chinese culture and language.....

sure get A for this. ;);)

Oh yah. I can combine the many different words from several languages and take a picture of that, with the Earth or something. Good idea. Thanks :D

This reminds me of another thread abt photo essay on clean and green stuff.

tehzeh before anyone can give idea, can you please tell us what do you "mean, feel or see" about Language and Power (not or). Once you have given the definition, people will be able to give you diff presentation idea.

Hi guys. I am required to take 1-3 photos and write an essay about the photos.

The topic is Language and Power. I seriously have no idea, where to or how to take a photo related to this topic.

It's like Language and Power aren't something that can be seen.... So I wonder if you guys have any ideas? Care to share?

Help appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

hi interesting topic, but i guess it was set with the intention to set the students thinking about relating both, and how to materialize a certain aspect of it in photos.

Not sure if by giving suggestions here are we spoiling your learning process? I can share some ideas nevertheless...

a photo of someone important (MP/minister) addressing a crowd?
a photo of a coach scolding/rallying/addressing his team?
a photo of a child reading?
a photo of court proceedings (judge giving verdict, lawyers debating)
a photo of a powerful and inspiring quote cast in stone
a photo of powerful advertising using certain words (i.e. big "SALE" and mad crowd rush)

These are some more direct ones... i think there can be very abstract photos also... hope these ideas help you to trigger more thoughts, and eventually settle on something you come up with yourself :)

What does BBB stand for?

good for u... this means you're not infected with the BBB virus:devil:

it means buy buy buy... after alot of the poisoning in the forum from new gear, new specs, nice photos with cool cameras/lens/adapters/techniques etc

孫子兵法.

This reminds me of another thread abt photo essay on clean and green stuff.

tehzeh before anyone can give idea, can you please tell us what do you "mean, feel or see" about Language and Power (not or). Once you have given the definition, people will be able to give you diff presentation idea.

Hmm. I have not thought of that yet... Sorry.

hi interesting topic, but i guess it was set with the intention to set the students thinking about relating both, and how to materialize a certain aspect of it in photos.

Not sure if by giving suggestions here are we spoiling your learning process? I can share some ideas nevertheless...

a photo of someone important (MP/minister) addressing a crowd?
a photo of a coach scolding/rallying/addressing his team?
a photo of a child reading?
a photo of court proceedings (judge giving verdict, lawyers debating)
a photo of a powerful and inspiring quote cast in stone
a photo of powerful advertising using certain words (i.e. big "SALE" and mad crowd rush)

These are some more direct ones... i think there can be very abstract photos also... hope these ideas help you to trigger more thoughts, and eventually settle on something you come up with yourself :)

Ok, I think the third one is a good idea too. Thanks for the suggestion, it does trigger my thoughts.

good for u... this means you're not infected with the BBB virus:devil:

it means buy buy buy... after alot of the poisoning in the forum from new gear, new specs, nice photos with cool cameras/lens/adapters/techniques etc

I see..... no money, how to get infected =X :bsmilie: