Photo Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaffgirl

Sep 18, 2009
I recently took some shots with my new bought LX3.

But how do I put in my name in the picture?
(E.G My trademark so to avoid copyright)

Also what is PP?
Any examples?

Totally new to photography. Hope to get some help!

Thank you~ ;)

1. This is covered in the stickies in the Digital Darkroom section, or you can just google "Add watermark signature text to image". There are many step-by-step tutorials all over the web and here. Even MS Paint can do it.

2. PP = post process. Any manipulation of the image using software.

Please do read the newbies guide stickies, they'll help you greatly.

Okay thank you.
Please close thread if needed.
:)

Download & install FastStone Photo Resizer.

Your requirement is in the Advanced Option.

I was planning to buy Photoshop CS4.
Alot of people use it to edit photos.
Big problem - I don't know how to use it. Lol.

Many online tutorials for photoshop, and many built-in ones too. You'd very easily be able to learn to use it like a pro in no time. :)

something to start with...download the picasa...its free..and easy to use...its all click click click.....

of course cannot compare to CS4...but its serves most of the basic function for newbies....cropping...adjust contrast, brightness, color...change to B&W, sepia...straighten the pic....etc...
CS4 for u now is an overkill....

Last edited:
Oh okay.
I try Picasa.
Until I get the Photoshop @ $99.
Thanks everyone ! :)

Oh okay.
I try Picasa.
Until I get the Photoshop @ $99.
Thanks everyone ! :)

+1 on the Picassa. really user friendly n doubles up as a Photo album/navigator.

although now i'm trying my hand with CS3, much much more complicated, but there are many tutorials on youtube that are very usefull, alternatively there are classed u may attend to learn.

In terms of simplicity, usually it's Picassa > Bundled software > "Pro" editors.

Your camera should have some basic editors bundled with it right? Try exploring that also. Picassa should give you most of the functions, between that and the bundled stuff you'll have all the functions needed for starting out. Take your time to learn the "Pro" editors... but they also cost a "Pro" amount to buy.

Alternatively, there's GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/), for 99.99% of the power of Photoshop, without the price tag.

Hi hi,

I'm totally new to photo editing. I would like to ask if this package is a good one ie. when it says 'photoshop', is it the kind that allows you to 'do magic' to your photos eg. erased creases from a bedsheet or lines from the face, make the model slimmer etc; when it says 'Dreamweaver' or 'Flash' (I don't know which), it allows you to edit videos and make them into highlights?

The rest I don't know what they are for, but they come in a package, and I only want the tools to 'do magic' to photos and create highlights from videos.

Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium.
It includes

• Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended
  • Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
  • Adobe Flash CS4 Professional
  • Adobe Illustrator CS4
  • Adobe Fireworks CS4
  • Acrobat 9 Professionals
  • Adobe Contribute CS4
  • Adobe Soundbooth CS4

You can also try ACDSee, good and easy to use.
http://www.acdsee.com/
BTW I am using the Pro 3.0 and not the 2.5 that they have on the web site.
I think they should be putting it up on their web site soon as they have already released it.
The Pro 3.0 has significant improvement on the 2.5

I'm totally new to photo editing. I would like to ask if this package is a good one ie. when it says 'photoshop', is it the kind that allows you to 'do magic' to your photos eg. erased creases from a bedsheet or lines from the face, make the model slimmer etc; when it says 'Dreamweaver' or 'Flash' (I don't know which), it allows you to edit videos and make them into highlights?
The rest I don't know what they are for, but they come in a package, and I only want the tools to 'do magic' to photos and create highlights from videos.[...]

Why don't save some money and start with simpler tools? Adobe CS4 is (as you list it out) a complete suite of tools for a huge range of purposes. If I'm not wrong you have to fork about about SGD 1.5k to get this package. As for the content package: If you don't know what it's for most likely you don't need it. Only the first one is the Photoshop most people refer to when talking about post-processing with Photoshop.
Easier and cheaper solutions for you could be: Photoshop Essentials; The Gimp; Picasa; software bundled with your camera, Adobe Lightroom and many more ...
"Doing magic" is a very subjective term, don't expect magic if the picture itself is not well taken in terms of exposure and composition. You cannot cover bad composition by adding fancy show effects. For simple adding of watermarks or frames there are easier ways as already described here.

Last edited:
Thanks, Octarine,

There's a promotion for my company and the package is going at $99. Someone commented that it's probably some outdated package and that's why it's going at lelong prices, so I wanted to see what others have to say about it. And I was worried that it's not what I imagined it to be ie. the 'photoshop' is not the 'photoshop' that everyone is referring to.

$99 sounds like the educational version which is heavily subsidized and only available for certain people (students). Do check properly what's inside and which terms and conditions apply. But even if it is clearance of the CS3 version or so it's worth getting it and learn from there. You might need some updates for RAW files of some recent cameras, in terms of editing jpg files there's nothing to worry.

$99 sounds like the educational version which is heavily subsidized and only available for certain people (students). Do check properly what's inside and which terms and conditions apply. But even if it is clearance of the CS3 version or so it's worth getting it and learn from there. You might need some updates for RAW files of some recent cameras, in terms of editing jpg files there's nothing to worry.

Oh wow, you're spot-on, except that it's also for another group of people besides students.

They didn't mention the terms and conditions.

Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.