Photo editing with netbook?!

Yellow Elephant

Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

I'm currently using a netbook, but its not able to fulfill my photo editing requirement.
In fact, running a slide show for the photos i took (with 18M resolution) is not smooth at all.

Am thinking of upgrading my net book into a Mac Book.
Am new to Macintosh, just want to know if a MacAir is able to run photoshop/photo editing software well.
Any of you using an Air for that?

Or should i be considering Mac Book Pro instead.

Need your advise. Thanks:)

An Air is not using a netbook CPU, it will definitely be faster. But I would not want to edit my photos on such a tiny screen.

If you get the Air, make sure u pick the 4G memory n 256G HD options. It is not post factory upgradable.

The 13 inch is reasonable. More importantly, its got longer battery life. You can always connect an external.monitor for heavy work.

Photoshop works on the Air but i use my desktop witha quad core n 8G memory, still challenging at times n i dont do heavy editing.

Also, the pc version has got auto stacking, still cant find it on the mac.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a netbook, but its not able to fulfill my photo editing requirement.
In fact, running a slide show for the photos i took (with 18M resolution) is not smooth at all.
Slideshow is not editing, and running 18MP is simply not required, looking at the screen resolution. Downsize your images properly and the netbook might do the job. Sounds a bit like "blur pictures, I need a batter lens .." :)

We all have different workflow and 'horsepower' requirements for photo editing, so it really depends on you. But a bigger screen is definitely useful.

Why on earth do you need 18MP files for slideshows? Full HDTV is about 2MP. Reduce your file sizes and your slide shows will run much smoother.

Mac book air if I'm not wrong, u can't use CD-ROM!!! ( Correct me if I'm wrong) :p

SimplyCinful said:
Mac book air if I'm not wrong, u can't use CD-ROM!!! ( Correct me if I'm wrong) :p

Yes you can. External CDROM drive. Any brand will work.

Yes. You can also run Windows and it works better than Windows based pc's.

Yes, you can run both concurrently or individually.

Yes, always the same questions will follow by somebody. So might as well put them in at one go.

Hi,

Am thinking of upgrading my net book into a Mac Book.
Am new to Macintosh, just want to know if a MacAir is able to run photoshop/photo editing software well.
Any of you using an Air for that?

Or should i be considering Mac Book Pro instead.

Need your advise. Thanks:)

IMO.. if u are like me who use windows for all ur life.. i think it wiser to get a window based notebook.. and its cheaper too..
unless u need mac for other purposes...

Question is…will you be bringing your notebook out during shoots or is it something you only do at home.
If you don't carry it out, then a faster and better Macbook Pro will be better. Bump it up to 8gb ram and it is very fast for almost anything, inc video.
If you intend to carry it out then you'll probably want something lighter. Bare in mind the Air at it's max is only 256GB and 4GB ram…i hardly think that's enough :)

Do you really need 18 megapixel pictures all the time?

Netbook advantage is its very small form factor which means can keep in just about any bag even those not large enough to have notebook inside at all.

Right now the n570 dual core processor for netbooks is pretty good in my opinion.

Slideshow is not editing, and running 18MP is simply not required, looking at the screen resolution. Downsize your images properly and the netbook might do the job. Sounds a bit like "blur pictures, I need a batter lens .." :)

Ermm, i meant i can't even run it properly as a slideshow in my net book, not to say to use photo editing software on it.
Slideshow just to run thru all the photos i took to select the better ones for editing.

Do you really need 18 megapixel pictures all the time?

Netbook advantage is its very small form factor which means can keep in just about any bag even those not large enough to have notebook inside at all.

Right now the n570 dual core processor for netbooks is pretty good in my opinion.

It's that always the KS mentality leh. If it can go up to 18M, why compromised for a smaller resolution?
Can always resize it after that. But i can't do the reverse way :p
But it land me in this problem now :(
It's a pain waiting for the photo to load properly with every click of the mouse!

It's that always the KS mentality leh. If it can go up to 18M, why compromised for a smaller resolution?
Can always resize it after that. But i can't do the reverse way :p
But it land me in this problem now :(
It's a pain waiting for the photo to load properly with every click of the mouse!

Then just run a batch job to create a small preview version of the image in a separate folder, run the slideshow from that folder. That's what I do.

Ermm, i meant i can't even run it properly as a slideshow in my net book, not to say to use photo editing software on it.
Slideshow just to run thru all the photos i took to select the better ones for editing.

I'd suggest the use of Adobe Bridge. Easy to mark out the good ones from the bad.

Rashkae said:
Then just run a batch job to create a small preview version of the image in a separate folder, run the slideshow from that folder. That's what I do.

Same thoughts here. If u r purely displaying it on a computer screen, u do not need a 18mb file. Resize the images to your screen resolution 1024x768 or 1280x1024 for standard screens, 72dpi is more than sufficient.

I use irfanview to do batch resizing. Free n good!

Same thoughts here. If u r purely displaying it on a computer screen, u do not need a 18mb file. Resize the images to your screen resolution 1024x768 or 1280x1024 for standard screens, 72dpi is more than sufficient.

I use irfanview to do batch resizing. Free n good!

Wooo... batch resizing,, sounds great.
Thanks for the recomm.

I'd suggest the use of Adobe Bridge. Easy to mark out the good ones from the bad.

Shall try this out after i install the photoshop.
Thanks for the recomm! :D

Personally, I am using a Mac Book Pro at home, albeit it is a few generations old (the one that still have removable battery). I find editing photos photoshop on it slow at the best of times. But I was editing them in 18MP. Maybe that is because I am used to working on a Mac Pro at office so everything just seems slow. Bottom line is try not to edit photos in such high MP if at all possible and definitely don't open everything all at once.

I personally import everything to LightRoom and then delete those that are very bad, flag those that needs editing and then I export them before doing any edits on photoshop.