[Photo Editing] Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geckorian

Feb 10, 2004
i'm quite stumped by this problem lately. Bascially, i was editing some holiday shots and there were some full body shots dat are in landscape format.

I'm not sure whether it's just a visual illusion but after rotating the canvas to a portrait format, the face will appear squashed a little. Like it's "fatter" den it was when it was in landscape format.

I did not special settings, just rotated the canvas. What gives? :embrass:

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
If you are using a CRT, then you have to adjust the H and V size and physically measure the on screen display area to make sure the aspect ratio matches the screen resolution you have set.

Most CRTs, when you maximize the display area using V and H size adjusments, will give 4:3 aspect ratio.

If your screen resolution is set to say 1280 X 1024, then the "logical" aspect ratio is 5:4 instead of 4:3. So there will be some distortion because you are scaling a 5:4 screen into a 4:3 display area. The on-screen pixel area is not square anymore but slightly elongated horizontally. In this case the H size has to be reduced.

Another demonstration: Using any graphics software, draw a perfect circle. If you use Word, turn on the graphics tool pallet and select the circle/ellipse tool. Left click and drag the mouse cursor across the document while holding the shift key. That will give you a perfect circle on the document. If the circle looks flattened on your screeen, then you need to either change resolution or adjust V and H size.

Hope this helps.

Geckorian

Feb 10, 2004
Yup i'm using a crt on 1280 by 1024. So what i seeing is only happening on my monitor? Does this only happen with crts and not lcds?

i dun quite understand wad i'm supposed to do here:
If you are using a CRT, then you have to adjust the H and V size and physically measure the on screen display area to make sure the aspect ratio matches the screen resolution you have set.
Farnie thing though i tried wad u suggested abt drawing the circles. Well they dun seem distorted. Or maybe it's just me :cry: Blue with ps, black with word.

Very informative! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom